Home

pic

MATH 6397: Special Topics

Quantum Computation Theory

Spring 2020

pic

Homework    Research    Calendar

Due to COVID-19 situation, UH has canceled classes during the week of March 16, and moved all classes after that to a remote setting. Starting March 23, every week you will receive a reading material with an assignment to complete while you are reading. All other assignments, such as homework 3,4 and a review article are canceled. Please write up everything you have on your review article and send it to me.

"In mathematics, you don't understand things, you just get used to them."
John von Neumann

All information on the website is subject to change if circumstances require it. I will communicate any changes during the class. Check back for the most up-to-date information.

If you haven't found here what you were looking for, please contact me using the contact information below, or let me know in person. All your inputs are highly valued and appreciated.

Class Place/Time  class

Tuesday, Thursday 11:30-1:00am in F 154

Contact

Dr. Anna Vershynina
anna@math.uh.edu
please include MATH 6397 in the subject so that your email won't be regarded as spam

Text

Lecture notes will be provided to you every class.
For personal reference, you may look at the following books:
-Michael Nielsen and Isaac Chuang, "Quantum computation and quantum information", Cambridge university press, 2010
-Mark Wilde, "From Classical to Quantum Shannon Theory" arXiv:1106.1445

You do not need to purchase either of these books. I can recommend any additional books if you request it, which you may borrow from my office.

Prerequisites

For this course it will be expected that you know the following material well:
-Linear Algebra
-Basics of Probability
-Basics of Functional Analysis

It is not expected that you know any quantum mechanics, computer science, of information theory before the start of the class.

Course Overview  course

During the course we aim to cover the following topics:
-Basics of quantum mechanics
-Universal quantum computation
-Quantum teleportation and other protocols
-Quantum error-correction
-Noisy quantum channels
-Quantum complexity
-Quantum algorithms

This list is subject to change depending on time constrains etc. Check the calendar below for the most up-to-date information.

Grading

Your final grade will break down as follows: the grading scheme has been changed on March 16th due to shifting to remote learning.
  • 40% one of the three choices: You must inform me of your choice before February 4.
    • homework;
    • review article;
    • presentation to middle schoolers about quantum computer/computation/theory/...
  • 10% attendance until Spring Break
  • 50% weekly assignments after Spring Break

Homework  p

There will be 4 homework assignments. One question on each of the homework sets will be to write a two-three sentences summarizing the most interesting news story in quantum computation/information/physics since the last homework. One source of the news is the ORNL Quantum Communication Institute, which you can subscribe to using this link. Another is Quanta Magazine or MIT Technology Review. You may use any other source of information. The news that you summarize must be related to quantum communication or physics.

Number
Deadline
Homework 1
Feb 4
Homework 2
March 5
Homework 3
canceled
Homework 4
canceled

Research Assignment   pic       

Instead of a homework you are welcome to write a 3-4 page review article on any of the topics below. You must inform me of your decision to do so before February 4. The deadline to submit the review article is the week before the last day of the class, i.e. April 16. If you need any advise, guidance, or a read over at any time during the semester, please let me know. We will discuss these assignments during the last class, you must be prepared to briefly present your paper.

Update: You should stop working on your review article on March 16th. Write up everything you have so far and send it to me before March 30th.

Topic
Reading
Quantum computers.
Who has of what kind? Their advantages, disadvantages and limitations.

Research devices by: IBM, Intel, Google, D-Wave, various Universities,...
Hardware: quantum dot, quantum spin, ion trap, superconductor, cavity QED, optical lattices
Theoretical models: quantum circuit, adiabatic computation, one-way computation, topological quantum computation
Review paper 
Applications of quantum computers.
What problems can they solve?

Atomic clocks, quantum biology, quantum sensors, lasers, GPS, quantum gravity...
D-Wave, Microsoft, find at least one other reference (research at least two applications)
Review paper 1
Review paper 2
q. biology + quantum Bitcoin mining + graviton
Imperfect quantum cloning.
Does it imply imperfect FTL communication?
paper 1 + paper 2
Problem of Time

Wiki + paper 1 (p. 1-3)+ paper 2 (ch. 1-3)
Black hole paradox Wiki + paper (lecture 6)
Student's choice
Discuss your topic with Dr. Vershynina

Presentation to Middle Schoolers  

As a third choice you can prepare a presentation and hands on activity suitable for middle schoolers and deliver it during one of the CHAMP meetings. Two of the weekly meetings are happening on the schools campuses (5-10 min away), and you will be provided with transportation to and from the UH campus. There are 12 academically advanced kids in each school group from undeserved neighborhoods. The meeting times are:

Tuesday 10:00-11:00am

Tuesday 2:00-3:00pm

Another meeting is happening every other week on the UH campus for home schooled children. There are 15 kids in that group. The meeting times are:

Fridays 9:30-11:15am in PGH 646A, every other week, see here for dates.

You need to deliver presentation and activity only for one hour in any of these meetings. You will be assisted by the Leaders of these meetings. If you need help coming up or developing a presentation and/or an activity, please let me know. You must inform me of your choice to make a presentation to children before February 4.

Class Calendar 

(this calendar is preliminary, and will be updated as the term progresses)

Jan 14
Introduction+Overview
book
Jan 16
Mathematical Background+
Noiseless Quantum Theory

Nielsen, Chuang 2.1-2.2
Wilde 3

Jan 21
Noiseless Quantum Theory

Jan 23
Quantum Gates
Nielsen, Chuang 4.1-4.3

Jan 28
Quantum Gates
Nielsen, Chuang 4.4-4.5

Jan 30
Quantum Protocols
Wilde 6

Feb 4
Homework and news discussion
IBM Q-Experience
Meeting in the library 300G

HW deadline
Feb 6
Class is canceled - I'm at the conference
board
Feb 11
Noisy Quantum Theory
Wilde 4.1-4.3
Nielsen, Chuang 2.4, 8.1-8.3

Feb 13
Schwartz Decomposition+Purification
Wilde 5
Nielsen, Chuang 2.5

Feb 18
Scott Aaronson's
Physics colloquium

Tuesday 2:30-3:30pm SR1 634
Feb 20
Scott Aaronson's
Math colloquium +student talk

Wednesday
1:30-2:30pm
3:00-4:00pm
PGH 646A

Feb 25
Class is canceled - I'm on the NSF panel
Feb 27
Class is canceled - I'm on the NSF panel
March 3
Overview of the class

March 5
Quantum Error Correction
Nielsen, Chuang 10.3.3-10.3.4
HW deadline
March 10

Spring break!
March 12
p
March 17
No classes! Stay safe!
March 19
No classes
From now on, our class has moved to a remote setting
March 24
Complexity

March 26
Complexity

March 31
Quantum Fourier Transform
Nielsen, Chuang 5
Apr 2
Quantum Fourier Transform  
Nielsen, Chuang 5
Apr 7
Order-finding, Factorization
Nielsen, Chuang 5

Apr 9
Order-finding, Factorization
Nielsen, Chuang 5
Apr 14
Quantum Search Algorithm
Nielsen, Chuang 6
Apr 16
Quantum Search Algorithm
Nielsen, Chuang 6
Apr 21
Review
Apr 23
Review
Congratulations!
scroll

pix

UH CAPS Statement

Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) can help students who are having difficulties managing stress, adjusting to college, or feeling sad and hopeless. You can reach CAPS (www.uh.edu/caps) by calling 713-743-5454 during and after business hours for routine appointments or if you or someone you know is in crisis. No appointment is necessary for the "Let's Talk" program, a drop-in consultation service at convenient locations and hours around campus. http://www.uh.edu/caps/outreach/lets_talk.html