Home

MATH 4331/6312:

Introduction to Real Analysis I

Fall 2021

Homework  Calendar   Exams 

"If I had an hour to solve a problem, I'd spend 55 minutes thinking about the problem and 5 minutes thinking about solutions."
Albert Einstein

All information on the website is subject to change if circumstances require it. I will communicate any changes during the class. Check back for the most up-to-date information.

If you haven't found here what you were looking for, please contact me using the contact information below. All your inputs are highly valued and appreciated.

Syllabus

Class syllabus can be found here. Due to the changing nature of the COVID-19 pandemic, please note that the instructor may need to make modifications to the course syllabus and may do so at any time. Notice of such changes will be announced as quickly as possible through UH email.

Class times    image

This course is being offered in the In-Person format. We will meet MWF 9:00-10:00am in SEC 104.

Class presence
Attendance in this class is mandatory. If you miss class for whatever reason, you are responsible for all material covered and all announcements made in class. Your presence in class means that you:
If you are experiencing any COVID-19 symptoms that are not clearly related to a pre-existing medical condition, do not come to class. Please see Student Protocols for what to do if you experience symptoms and Potential Exposure to Coronavirus for what to do if you have potentially been exposed to COVID-19. Consult the Undergraduate Excused Absence Policy (if you are enrolled in 4331) or Graduate Excused Absence Policy (if you are enrolled in 6312) for information regarding excused absences for medical reasons.

Face covering policy

To reduce the spread of COVID-19, the University strongly encourages everyone (vaccinated or not) to wear face coverings indoors on campus including classrooms for both faculty and students.

Technology requirements

You should have a scanner or certain smartphone apps that allow you to scan your handwritten homework into a pdf file. Alternatively, certain tablets and tablet apps allow you submit your written work directly from the tablet.

Recordings of class

Students may not record all or part of class, livestream all or part of class, or make/distribute screen captures without advanced written consent of the instructor. If you have or think you may have a disability such that you need to record class-related activities, please contact the Justin Dart Jr. Student Accessibility Center. If you have an accommodation to record class-related activities, those recordings may not be shared with any other students, whether in this course of not, or with any other person or on any other platform. Classes may be recorded by the instructor. Students may use instructor's recordings for their own studying or notetaking. Instructor's recordings are not authorized to be shared with anyone without the prior written approval of the instructor. Failure to comply with requirements regarding recordings will result in a disciplinary referral to the Dean of Students Office and may result in disciplinary action.

Contact

Dr. Vershynina (you should refer to me as either Doctor/Dr. or Professor/Prof. followed by my last name)

Email: anna@math.uh.edu

Please include "MATH 4331/6312" in the subject, so that your email won't be regarded as spam. For security reasons I will reply only to emails sent from official UH emails (i.e. ending in "uh.edu").

When writing an email, make sure it adheres to the protocol of formality, which is standard in academia. Read more about it here, for example.

Normally, I answer urgent emails within one-two business days. Generally, I do not repeat information that can be found on this website or was communicated in class. If I do not respond to your email within two working days, please resend the email. If you again do not hear from me within one more working day, it is likely that your email is not coming through and you should speak with me before or after class. It is your responsibility to ensure that I am aware of issues you may have with the course; failure to effectively initiate timely communication is not a valid basis for a grade grievance and cannot be used as such.

Bring comments or complaints to my attention as soon as possible. Don't wait until the end of the semester to bring up a matter which we could deal with and solve early on.

UH Email

Email communications related to this course will be sent to your Exchange email account which each University of Houston student receives. The Exchange mail server can be accessed via Outlook, which provides a single location for organizing and managing day-to-day information, from email and calendars to contacts and task lists. Exchange email accounts can be accessed by logging into Office 365 with your Cougarnet credentials or through Acccess UH. They can also be configured on IOS and Android mobile devices. Additional assistance can be found at the Get Help page.

UH policy states that all required written notices shall be addressed to the student via their UH email. Notices properly addressed and so sent shall be presumed to have been received by the student. Thus, you are responsible for the content in emails sent to your UH account, regardless if your external (non-UH) email provider filters or blocks. Emails lost to external providers shall not be used as a justification to claim faculty are unresponsive, to appeal grades, etc.

Office Hours

Office hours will be done through Microsoft Teams by appointment only. You are welcome and encouraged to make an appointment if you have any questions about material or issues that you would like to discuss. Please contact me by email at least two days in advance to setup the meeting.

Textbook

We will be using the following book: Kenneth Davidson, Allan Donsig, "Real Analysis with Application: Theory in Practice", Springer 2010

Topics we cover each class are indicated in the calendar below. Here are some tips on how to read your textbook efficiently.

Prerequisites

Grading 

Your final grade will break down as follows:

Homework image

Homework will be handled using Gradescope system. Since this is an outside of the UH website, you are not required to use. You must inform me during the first week if you opt out of using the system and alternative arrangements will be made for you. Information below is directed to those students wishing to use Gradescope system.

Homework sheets can be downloaded in Gradescope. You will write solutions by hand on a blank piece of paper, scan it and upload to Gradescope indicating pages where solution to each problem is located. You are required to upload your paper to Gradescope before 11:00PM of the day indicated on the sheet and in the calendar below. Deadline extension may be granted only in case of a prolonged illness or emergency described in the UH Absence Policy, with proper and timely provided documentation. Try to complete homework at lest two days before the deadline expires, in case you encounter any issues with your technology.

When uploading your paper to Gradescope, make sure your copy is of high quality (contrast, resolution,...). Your handwriting must be clear and easy to read. Solution must be written neatly from top to bottom in a logical way.

You have one week after your grade is posted to submit a regrade request if you believe there was a mistake with your grading. Along with your request in Gradescope, you must write me an email providing an explanation for a regrade (e.g. your solution was correct, but was marked as incorrect). Requests to change the rubrics will be ignored.

When enrolling yourself in Gradescope, use code: RW6PZZ . When entering your name, please enter the first 3 letters of your LAST, then first 3 letters of your FIRST name. For example, for a name John Smith, a student should enter "Smi Joh". As your ID number, enter the last 3 digits of your student ID. You are free to use any email with Gradescope, it does not have to be your UH email.

Homework will be graded selectively. Students in 6312 might receive additional problems, and it's possible that different problems will be graded for 4331 and 6312. In 6312 class, students will be held up to a higher standards for writing solutions in logical professional way.

Here is an extensive and very good article on how to write and how not to write a good proof. And here is another one.

Midterms   

Two midterms will be held during regular class times. Midterm will consists of two problems from homework, two problems from the list of theorems/statements covered in class, and one new problem. The list of theorems will be uploaded to Teams no later than two weeks before the exam.

You are required to adhere to the UH Academic Honesty policy.

Final 

Final will take place on Dec 13 at 8:30-10:30am in our regular classroom SEC 104. It will cover ALL material from the beginning of the semester. The Final will have two questions on the material covered by Midterm 1, two questions on the material covered by Midterm 2, and three questions on the material covered after Midterm 2. The list of possible questions will be uploaded to Teams no later than two weeks before the exam.

Grade Improvement Test (GIT)   

To give you an opportunity to improve your final grade you may take a Grade Improvement Test held right after Midterm 2 (before it is graded). The test will cover material from the beginning of the semester. You may take the test during the class time and at the end of the class decide wither you would like to turn it in or not. Here are the rules for the test:
- With this grade you may replace the grade for one of the following: Midterm 1, Midterm 2 or all of Homework 1-6.
- You may replace only a non-zero grade for the exams, and you may replace homework only if you wrote all six homework assignments with a nonzero grade each.
- Once you turn in your Grade Improvement Test, it will be graded, and this grade will replace the grade you indicated, even if the new grade is lower.

Regrade Requests

You have one week after your grade for Midterms, GIT or Homework is posted to submit a regrade request if you believe there was a mistake with your grading. Along with your request in Gradescope, you must write me an email providing an explanation for a regrade (e.g. explain why your solution was correct, but was marked as incorrect). Requests to change rubrics will be ignored. Before you make a regrade request, read the following article explaining when and how to do that (all views and opinions expressed in that article are solely of the author).

Honor Code Statement

Students may be asked to sign an honor code statement as part of their submission of any graded work including but not limited to projects, quizzes, and exams: "I understand and agree to abide by the provisions in the University of Houston Undergraduate Academic Honesty Policy (or University of Houston Graduate Academic Honesty Policy). I understand that academic honesty is taken very seriously and, in the cases of violations, penalties may include suspension or expulsion from the University of Houston."

Class Calendar  
Topics listed in the calendar are tentative, and are subject to change without notice. I will update the topic we covered after each class.

Monday
Wednesday
Friday
August 23
Introduction

August 25
Proofs
August 27
Proofs; Topology of R^n

Homework 0 Due

August 30
Topology of R^n:

September 1
Topology of R^n:
September 3
Topology of R^n:
convergence and completeness
Homework 1 Due
September 6
Labor Day

September 8 
Homework 1 Solutions
September 10
Homework 1
Solutions

Topology of R^n: 4.2
Homework 2 Due
September 13
Topology of R^n: open, closed sets

September 15

September 17
Homework 3 Due
September 20
Topology of R^n: compact sets
September 22
Topology of R^n: compact sets

September 24
Topology of R^n: Heine-Borel theorem
Homework 4 Due
September 27
Midterm prep

September 29
Midterm 1
October 1
Surprise class
October 4
Functions: Limits and Continuity

October 6
October 8
Discontinuity
5.1 -5.2
October 11
Functions: Discontinuity

October 13
Functions: Discontinuity
October 13
Properties of Continuous functions

Homework 5 Due
October 18
Functions: Compactness and Extreme Values
October 20
Functions: Uniform Continuity

October 22
Functions: Uniform Continuity

Homework 6 Due
October 25
Midterm prep
October 27
Midterm 2
October 29
Grade Improvement Day

November 1
Intermediate Value Theorem in R
Connected Sets
November 3
Connected Sets

November 5

Connected, Path-connected Sets
November 8

November 10
Intermediate Value Theorem in R^n
November 12
Intermediate Value Theorem in R^n

Homework 7 Due
November 15

Monotone Functions

November 17
Monotone Functions
November 19
Differentiable Functions

Homework 8 Due
November 22
Differentiable Functions
November 24

November 26

Thanksgiving

November 29
Mean Value Theorem
December 1
Mean Value Theorem
December 3
Review
Homework 9 Due
December 13
Final 8:00-11:00am

COVID-19 information

Students are encouraged to visit the University's COVID-19 website for important information including on-campus testing, vaccines, diagnosis and symptoms protocols, campus cleaning and safety practices, report forms and positive cases on campus. Please check the website throughout the semester for updates.

Vaccinations

Data suggests that vaccination remains the best intervention for reliable protection against COVID-19. Students are asked to familiarize themselves with pertinent vaccine information, consult with their health care provide. The University strongly encourages all students, faculty and staff to be vaccinated.

Excused Absence Policy

Regular class attendance, participation, and engagement in coursework are important contributors to student success. Absences may be excused as provided in the University of Houston Undergraduate Excused Absence Policy and Graduate Excused Absence Policy for reasons including: medical illness of student or close relative, death of a close family member, legal or government proceeding that a student is obligated to attend, recognized professional and educational activities where the student is presenting, and University-sponsored activity or athletic competition. Under these policies, students with excused absences will be provided with an opportunity to make up any quiz, exam or other work that contributes to the course grade or a satisfactory alternative. Please read the full policy for details regarding reasons for excused absences, the approval process, and extended absences. Additional policies address absences related to military service, religious holy days, pregnancy and related conditions, and disability.

Religious Holy Days

Students whose religious beliefs prohibit class attendance or the completion of specific assignments on designated dates may obtain an excused absence. To do so, please make a written request for an excused absence and submit it to your instructor as soon as possible, to allow the instructor to make arrangements. For more information, seethe Student Handbook. http://catalog.uh.edu/index.

UH CAPS Statement

Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) can help students who are having difficulties managing stress, adjusting to college, or feeling sad and hopeless. You can reach CAPS (www.uh.edu/caps) by calling 713-743-5454 during and after business hours for routine appointments or if you or someone you know is in crisis. No appointment is necessary for the "Let's Talk" program, a drop-in consultation service at convenient locations and hours around campus. http://www.uh.edu/caps/outreach/lets_talk.html

Reasonable Academic Adjustments/Auxiliary Aids
The University of Houston System complies with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americas with Disabilities Act of 1900, pertaining to the provision of reasonable academic adjustments/Auxiliary aids for disabled students. In accordance with Section 504 and ADA guidelines, UH strives to provide reasonable academic adjustments/auxiliary aids to students who request and require them. If you believe that you have a disability requiring and academic adjustment/auxiliary aid, please contact the Justin Dart Jr. Student Accessibility Center (formerly the Justin Dart, Jr. Center for Students with DisABILITIES).

Helpful Information

COVID-19 updates: https://uh.edu/covid-19/

Coogs Care: https://www.uh.edu/dsaes/coogscare/

Laptop Checkout Requests: https://www.uh.edu/infotech/about/planning/off-campus/index.php#do-you-need-a-laptop

Health FAQs: https://uh.edu/covid-19/faq/health-wellness-prevention-faqs/

Student Health Center: https://uh.edu/class/english/lcc/current-students/student-health-center/index.php