Subject: MINI-REVIEW: AmiFast Zip-to-SIMM converter
From: [email-masked] (Pat Kushko)
Date: 22 Oct 1996 21:04:47 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.reviews

-Mini Review of Ami-Fast-
		A3000 ZIP to SIMM converter

	I just got my hands on 'AmiFast' the A3000 Zip to SIMM
adapter from ProvTech and thought I'd give my impression of the
product.  After going for years with the standard 2 megs chip and
4 megs fast and until the later part of this year, 4 megs ran
around $160 U.S.  (with some stores in the $240 range) this was a
product overdue.

	One of the things I did notice immediately is that
AmiFast isn't for every A3000 owner, although I wish it were; it
will not work with a ROM TOWER in place because of space
considerations (I used to have one, but got around that with
EPROMs).  I'm not sure about the A3000 tower status, but best to
check with ProvTech to see what works.

	I've even speculated AmiFast and others like it
contributed to the lower price of ZIPS lately.  But nothing can
beat a maxed out A3000 populated for $99 or less (well I guess
I'm biased, owning one).  The cost of the product is pretty well
offset by selling the zips.  Because of the nature of some SIMM
ram which comes in an amazing variety of packages, ProvTech
recommends 72 pin SIMMs in the 8 meg commonly available form
(cheap stuff) although the board can accommodate the 4 meg
variety and even mix & match, but it's best to go with the
companies recommendation unless you have SIMMs sitting on your
shelf.

	There's more than one of these Zip to SIMM adapters
around and without first hand experience, it wouldn't be right
saying which one is best, but I can tell you about AmiFast.  I'm
not much for kits (AmiFast is available in some sort of barebones
format) so I got the finished product, It's plug & play.  Though
after seeing the board, it looks like a snap to put together for
anyone who has warmed up a soldering iron, and the instructions
are clear enough.  The quality of the double sided green board is
what you would expect from a commercial supplier with one small
exception, writing on the board mentions that AmiFast 3000 was
designed on, with and for the Amiga 3000.

	There's not much more to say about this product, it does
what it claims to do.  I heard that my A3000 would be much
slower, it wasn't and out of memory crashes have all but
disappeared. (AIBB rates it at slightly faster!)

	It's nice to see new product for the Amiga and I'm a happy
camper: thanks Keith.

	Pricing at last account was around $75 U.S.
        and much less for bare board level units.

AmiFast is a creation of Keith Siders who can be reached by email at
[email-masked] for more information, ordering etc.  or
phone him directly at 812-254-1721. I don't work for AmiFast and am
not a tech type, so forward and questions to Keith S.

--
01100001 01101000 00111000 00110000 00110010 01000000 01110100
01101111 01110010 01100110 01110010 01100101 01100101 00101110
01101110 01100101 01110100 ----------------> [email-masked]

---

   Accepted and posted by Daniel Barrett, comp.sys.amiga.reviews moderator
   Send reviews to:	[email-masked]
   Request information:	[email-masked]
   Moderator mail:	[email-masked]
   Anonymous ftp site:  math.uh.edu, in /pub/Amiga/comp.sys.amiga.reviews
   Web site: ftp://math.uh.edu/pub/Amiga/comp.sys.amiga.reviews/index.html