Subject: REVIEW: Liquidation of Commodore International
From: [email-masked] (Bo Najdrovsky)
Date: 6 Mar 1995 20:47:15 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.reviews

PRODUCT NAME

	Liquidation of Commodore International, Ltd.

BRIEF DESCRIPTION

	A product that everyone feared would eventually come, and it finally
came upon us mercilessly.

AUTHOR/COMPANY INFORMATION

	Name:	Bahamian Courts, with some help from various legal eagles

LIST PRICE

	Anywhere from $19 million to about $100 million (US), depending on
whom you ask.

SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS

	HARDWARE

		Strong nerves.

	SOFTWARE

		Lots of patience.

COPY PROTECTION

	This product is protected from successfully operating by a couple of
fools named Mehdi Ali and Irving Gould.  I would rate this copy protection
as unacceptable.

MACHINE USED FOR TESTING

	This product has been in extensive testing on over 4 million Amigas
worldwide.  Many users were so exhausted from testing that they just decided
to sell their machine and migrate to a different platform.

INSTALLATION

	I never installed this on my system, honest. It just somehow made
its way there.  I suppose you could describe its installation as simple as,
say, a computer virus.

REVIEW

	Well, what can I say.  For at least a year before it actually
happened, I anticipated this product's hitting the Amiga market.  During this
time, I almost began regarding it as another one of those vaporware products
that we Amiga users have become so accustomed to.

	When the liquidation finally hit the market, I must say that I was
quite disappointed.  The whole thing was full of bugs, and hardly ran at
all. In fact, now, about 9 revisions and updates later, it still doesn't
seem to deliver what was originally promised, which of course was the
possibility of a capable company manufacturing and marketing the Amiga line
of personal computers.

	Though the developers of this product still seem relatively
enthusiastic about its possibilities, I am beginning to seriously doubt the
liquidation's viability in the current Amiga market.  In fact, I would go as
far as suggesting that the market might have been better off without such a
product being available in the first place.

DOCUMENTATION

	Documentation is extremely poor.  If it weren't for a few good
supplements, such as Amiga Report, there wouldn't be any documentation at
all.  (Kudos to the editors.)

LIKES

	I can't say that I like anything about this product.

DISLIKES AND SUGGESTIONS

	I dislike the lengthy, seemingly endless proceedings that never seem
to end, and that every time there seems to be the proverbial light at the
end of the tunnel, it just turns out to be an oncoming locomotive.

COMPARISON TO OTHER SIMILAR PRODUCTS

	Not much to compare this thing to; but if you're interested, go to
your local library and look up "Pan American Airlines."  They were also a
once-great company that didn't quite make it.

BUGS

	Full of bugs.  Simply doesn't work.

VENDOR SUPPORT

	None.

WARRANTY

	None - expressed nor implied.

CONCLUSIONS

	I would not recommend this liquidation to anyone.  It doesn't
perform as promised, doesn't even work, and it costs too much.  It also
causes many of your fellow Amiga owners leave you for little-endian
pastures.  Stay away!

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

	This review is Copyright 1995 Bo Najdrovsky.  It is freeware.  Do
what you want with it but if you republish it in your newsletter, just let
me now. My address is [email-masked].  Thanks.

Bo Najdrovsky       // AmigaOS 3.1/Mac Sys7.1/BSD 4.4 - Courtesy of my A3000
[email-masked] \X/  => join the EGS list: [email-masked] <=
[email-masked]  "Who are you, who's so wise in the ways of science?"

---

   Daniel Barrett, Moderator, comp.sys.amiga.reviews
   Send reviews to:	[email-masked]
   Request information:	[email-masked]
   Moderator mail:	[email-masked]
   Anonymous ftp site:  math.uh.edu, in /pub/Amiga/comp.sys.amiga.reviews