Subject: REVIEW: CD32 Full Motion Video module
From: [email-masked] (Clark Alexander)
Date: 20 Nov 1998 17:54:44 -0500
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.reviews

PRODUCT NAME

	Commodore Amiga CD32 Full Motion Video Module

BRIEF DESCRIPTION

	The CD32 FMV module is a plug in cartridge that gives the CD32
the ability to play full screen/full motion MPEG1 Video movies and
Video Karaoke CD's.

COMPANY INFORMATION
	 
	Name:		Commodore Business Machines
	Address:	No longer in business

LIST PRICE

	MSRP is unknown 

	The price of the product as shown by the Creative Computer
Advertisement in the May 1994 Amiga World Magazine was $267.95 US
Dollars
	 
SPECIAL HARDWARE REQUIREMENTS

	HARDWARE

		A CD32.

	SOFTWARE
	
		None

COPY PROTECTION

	None

MACHINE USED FOR TESTING
	 
	Stock Amiga NTSC CD32

INSTALLATION

	Unplug the CD32 from the power supply.  Remove 1 screw in the
back left of the CD32 to take off the backplate.  Insert the FMV
module taking care to line up the connectors at the bottom of the CD32
and the FMV module. Seat the FMV and them replace the screw.  Plug in
the Power supply

REVIEW

	The Commodore CD32 FMV module is hard to find and easy to
install. I bought a used CD32 with the FMV installed for
$310. Included was Video CD movies; The Firm and Naked Gum 33 1/3.

	It does a very good job of playing MPEG 1 movies/MPEG 1 Music
Videos and Video Karaoke CD's. I have mine connected to my television
via the S-VHS video port. The Stereo Audio is connect to my stereo
system. It sounds very good.

	I purchased Goldfinger, Aretha Franklin Live, Forrest Gump,
Ghost, Patriot Games, Indecent Proposal, Sade and Black Rain from
Phillips Multimedia http://www.pmpro.com

	I began to notice that Phillips was not offering any new
movies so I did a search on the internet for Video CD. I found a lot
of places in the United States offer Video CD's but they are porno.

	Europe, Canada and Asia have recent movies in the MPEG1 Video
format.

	McNo LTD. has a large selection current video CD's. Their
website is http://www.mcno.com

	Fortunately for us VideoCD's can be played by DVD players
because the MPEG2(DVD) standard is backward compatible with the MPEG1
(Video CD) standard. Unfortunately, we can not play a DVD CD in a
Amiga CD32.

DOCUMENTATION

	The FMV module comes with a 10 page manual. It is in English,
German, French and Spanish.  It shows how to install the FMV module
and how to use the buttons on the CD32 joystick to control the VCR
like functions of the FMV module.

	The documentation is the same format, font, layout as that
received by the CD32.

	The documentation written for beginners. 

LIKES

	Easy installation. Works flawlessly. simple operation. Just
put the Video CD in the CD32 close the lid and press the play button
on the CD32 controller.

DISLIKES AND SUGGESTIONS

	NONE

COMPARISON TO OTHER SIMILAR PRODUCTS

	Any Wintel or PowerPC can play these Mpeg1 videos. Also the
DVD player and Computer's with DVD can play the VideoCD's. Only the
CD32 can play the Video CD's and the Digital Video CD's.

BUGS

	NONE

VENDOR SUPPORT

	NONE

WARRANTY

	NONE 

CONCLUSIONS

	The FMV delivers full motion/full screen MPEG 1 video to the
screen very well.

	I rate it 10 stars out of 10 stars
	
	With the CD32 FMV the CD 32 can play CDTV CDs, CD32 CDs, Audio
CDs, CD+G CD's, CD+Midi CD's, MPEG 1 Movies and Music Video CD's and
Karaoke CDs.  This is powerful and Versatile Amiga in a small package.

	The stereo sound is good connected to my stereo System.

	If you do a search on the internet for VideoCD you wil find
sources of Video CD's in the United States but most of them are
porn. The cost of the VideoCD and the DVD is a problem because in many
cases the DVD movie is the same or less than the VideoCD.

	The AmigaWorld Magazine mentioned that Mad Dog McCree was
going to use MPEG1 Video as part of the game. This machine was rally
aheard of its time. Current CD's use quicktime or AVI to play video in
a game. In my opinion, MPEG1 video is just like watching a movie. CD32
with the FMV is awesome.

COPYRIGHT NOTICE
	  
	Copyright 1998  Clark Alexander, [email-masked]
---

   Accepted and posted by Daniel Barrett, comp.sys.amiga.reviews moderator
   Send reviews to:	[email-masked]
   Request information:	[email-masked]
   Moderator mail:	[email-masked]
   Anonymous ftp site:  math.uh.edu, in /pub/Amiga/comp.sys.amiga.reviews
   Web site:		http://math.uh.edu/~barrett/reviews.html