Subject: REVIEW: Civilization
From: [email-masked] (Jeffrey Grimmett)
Date: 17 Dec 1992 15:33:17 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.reviews

PRODUCT NAME

	Civilization

BRIEF DESCRIPTION

	Civilization is a simulation game that should satisfy the cravings
of the power-hungry.  In it, you command the resources and people of an
entire civilization.  You guide the development of cities, the direction of
research, diplomatic ties with other civilizations, and, (oh, joy!) the
military forces of your people.  The object is to be the most civilized
society on the planet at the end of a preset amount of time.

AUTHOR/COMPANY INFORMATION

	Name:		MicroProse Software
	Address:	180 Lakefront Drive
			Hunt Valley, MD  21030
			USA

	Telephone:	(301) 771-1151

LIST PRICE

	$59.95 (US dollars)

SPECIAL HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE REQUIREMENTS

	Runs on 68000 and 68030 Amigas under AmigaDOS 1.3 and 2.0.  Some
installation problems under 2.0 -- see "INSTALLATION" below.

COPY PROTECTION

	"Look up the word in the manual" protection.

	Hard drive installable.

	See more information under "INSTALLATION" below.

MACHINE USED FOR TESTING

	Amiga 3000/16, 105 MB hard drive, 4 MB FAST RAM, 2 MB CHIP RAM,
AmigaDOS 2.0x.

INSTALLATION

	Civilization is easy to install -- if you use AmigaDOS 1.3.
Otherwise, it is a bear.  While it is hard drive installable, the
installation software does not quite understand the new method of naming
partitions under AmigaDOS 2.0+, and as a result you may have difficulties if
you have non-standard partition names, as I do.

	Fortunately, I had similar problems with Railroad Tycoon not
recognizing my GAMES: partition a while back, so by now I had renamed it to
DH1:.  This got around 1 problem, but because of the large number of
partitions and logical assignments I had made, DH1: did not show up on the
list of available devices.  No matter what I tried, Civilization tried to
install itself into PIPE:.  Amusing ONLY the first time.

	After copying the contents of the 6 game disks into the proper
places, I started it up.  Well, yet another problem.  All six disk names had
to be Assigned to the game directory on the hard drive.  I added lines to
the User-Startup file and rebooted... and it worked!  Off to pillage!

	So far, the best overall installation program is still DiskMaster
(grin).

STARTING UP

	Uh, not so fast.  Which is exactly what happens.  When Civilization
is first started, it gives you a list of choices on how to start the game.
Among other options, you can create a random world, load a saved game, or
start a new game on Planet Earth.  Most folks are going to jump right into
the random game (well, I always do!), which presents a slightly cheesy intro
sequence as it generates a new world.  This DOES take quite a long time!
Around 10 minutes on my 16 MHz 030, heaven knows how long it would take on a
slower machine.  Once this task is complete, you can choose your
civilization, your leader's name, and the number of computer opponents.
Also, at this point you can choose your level of play.  I recommend the
lowest possible until you get used to it :-)

OK, CAN WE GO OUT AND PILLAGE *NOW*?

	Sure!  OK, well, it probably wouldn't be prudent to start pillaging
right away, as all you start out with is one (or two) settlers (the Civil
Engineers) and the yen to settle down.  Finding a good place to establish a
city is important, as the better sites support themselves better later on in
the game.

	You start with few skills, so one of the first things to do is to
(a) defend your city and (b) get started on research for bigger and better
things.  Your armed forces, for instance, rely on different factors (bronze,
ironworking, etc) to become more effective.  Military improvements are
handled the same way as domestic ones are.

	Domestic improvements take many forms.  One of the earliest is the
granary, so you can store surplus food.  You'll need it.  You can also divert
resources into building "wonders" like the Pharos Lighthouse.  Each Wonder
has different effects on yourself or your rivals.

	There are dozens of things to keep an eye on.  For instance, you can
be all-powerful militarily but have the most unruly population possible.
Balance is important, especially in later stages as your government
progresses from Despotism to Democracy.

	Like it or not, meeting other civilizations is inevitable.  You have
a few options, fairly obvious.  You can diplomatically handle them, or sic
your goons on them and (yes!) pillage!  However, your enemies may have
friends who might want to speak to you about your, um, demeanor.

	All through this, you still continue growing.  When it is time, you
can build more settlers to go out and establish new cities and roads to
connect it all.  Roads are very important for getting supplies and armies
from point a to point b.  Additionally, a strong shipping and naval presence
gives you that much more flexibility.

SAVE THE PLANET!

	Notice I haven't mentioned copy protection?  Well, during the first
50 turns of the game, you are not bothered with such things.  However, at the
end of turn 50, you are required to do a fairly cumbersome
look-it-up-in-the-manual exercise.  This would not be so bad, but you also
cannot save a game until then, either.  However, this is the only time you
have to look something up (other than reference), so I guess it isn't as bad
as some I've encountered.

BUGS (what?  More bugs?!)

	Yep, more bugs.  At least on my 3000, Civilization has a tendency to
lock up solid when listing out possible improvements for a city.  Other bugs
took the game out at seemingly random times.  However, it could hardly be
random, as IF I saved a game before a crash, and resumed, the crash would
occur at the same exact place.  I found no pattern to this, so my best
advice would be to hope that the scenario you choose will last out the full
2000 or so turns it is supposed to.

	Additionally, a semi-random bug at times would trash the display,
although not enough to stop play.

MANUAL

	As with the majority of past MicroProse offerings, the manual is
more than thorough, and contains a full reference on all factors involved in
the game.  I wish the folks that put the manual together had written the
software :-)

	Along with the manual, the game itself offers a form of hypertext
Civilopedia that is actually quite good.  Any game elements I needed help
with could be found in the online documentation.  Nice!

FINAL IMPRESSIONS, CAVEATS, ETC.

	First of all, I want to state up front that not everyone is likely to
suffer the same deadly crashes I did.  I've noticed that a lot of
applications that refuse to function well on my 3000 work very well on my
2500, and both with the same operating system.  I only wish I could have
tested it on my 2500, but as Civilization does not multitask well, I
couldn't (the A2500 is a BBS machine).

	That being said... if you're into this kind of game, if you liked
Railroad Tychoon and Sim City, you're bound to like Civilization.  If you've
spent cumulative days in front of Sim City, and still go back for more, this
game is a must-have.

	If, however, you are the type of gamer accustomed to the raw fury of
BLAZEMONGER and are just merely curious about Civilization, I'd suggest you
spend your money on something else, as it won't really be worth the price to
you.

	I personally am very happy with this game, when and if it actually
works.  The frustration factor is overly elevated, however, because of the
many bugs in this program.  I certainly hope MicroProse gets their collective
act together before too long, as this is just ridiculous!

###############@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@***********************
Jeff Grimmett [SuperBitMap BBS]          @ fido!1:202/1401.0 [619-460-7290]
[email-masked]  @ [email-masked]
 The opinions expressed in this message are thoughtful, reasoned, and logical.
    	It goes without saying that they are not those of my employer.
*******************************************************************************
---

   Daniel Barrett, Moderator, comp.sys.amiga.reviews
   Send reviews to:	[email-masked]
   Request information:	[email-masked]
   General discussion:	[email-masked]