Subject: REVIEW: Computer Shopping Network (mailorder company)
From: [email-masked] (Daniel Barrett)
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1992 17:11:29 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.reviews

COMPANY NAME

	Computer Shopping Network (CSN)

BRIEF DESCRIPTION

	Computer Shopping Network is a mailorder company in the USA that
sells Amiga hardware, software, books, and accessories.

AUTHOR/COMPANY INFORMATION

	Name:		Computer Shopping Network
	Address:	7207 Chapman Highway
			Knoxville, TN  37920
			USA

	Voice:		(615) 577-5100
	FAX:		(615) 577-1170
	BBS:		(615) 573-0765
			(615) 573-1127
			(615) 573-8888
		(24 hours, 8N1, 300-9600 baud)
		(Pricelists may be downloaded.)

REVIEW

	Since we see complaints about some Amiga mailorder companies on
USENET, I'd like to praise one for good service.  Computer Shopping Network
has given me fantastic service for the past 1-2 years.  CSN used to be "Abel
Supply Company" a few years ago, and c.s.amiga old-timers will remember that
people had good AND bad things to say about them.  I think they've improved
dramatically and are now one of the best Amiga mailorder companies in the
USA.  Here are some of my experiences.

	I made the most recent order on Friday, November 6, 1992, for a
SupraFAXmodem.  CSN told me that the modem was out of stock, but that they
could get one "in 2 days" and then ship it to me.  At the old Abel Supply,
out-of-stock hardware always meant a lonnnnnng wait.  However, CSN was even
better than their promise, and the modem arrived Monday, November 9, even
with UPS ground shipping from Tennessee --> Massachusetts.

	On several other occasions, when CSN was out of the item I wanted,
their promise of "2 days" has been accurate.  Sometimes they even had their
distributor ship the items directly to me, so I didn't have to wait for
CSN to receive them!

	In another order, I bought 3 hardware items and decided that 2 of
them were not what I wanted.  CSN's literature says

	>NOTE: We Cannot Guarantee Compatibility Or Product Performance
	>No Refunds, Defective Items Repaired/Replaced With EXACT Same Item

However, they let me return both items for store credit, with no "restocking
fees" and no hassle.  (I returned them in perfect working order with
mint-condition packaging.)

CONCLUSIONS

	Computer Shopping Network has come a long way since their "Abel
Supply" days, and I recommend them highly.  Their prices are outstanding:
almost always lower than those at Go Amigo, Computability, Safe Harbor,
BriWall, Creative Computers, etc.  Software is typically discounted 40% from
list.  The only drawback is that their phone number is not toll-free.  They
do, however, have a BBS with high speed modems where you can download their
price lists.  (I have never seen a CSN advertisement anywhere!)

	DISCLAIMER:  I am not associated with Computer Shopping Network
nor any other Amiga products company in any way except as a customer.

                                                        Dan

 //////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
| Dan Barrett -- Dept of Computer Science, Lederle Graduate Research Center |
| University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA  01003  --  [email-masked] |
 \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\/////////////////////////////////////

---

   Daniel Barrett, Moderator, comp.sys.amiga.reviews
   Send reviews to:	[email-masked]
   Request information:	[email-masked]
   General discussion:	[email-masked]