Subject: REVIEW: DP IBM Analog Joystick Interface
From: [email-masked] (Michel J. Brown)
Date: 7 Dec 1993 14:17:33 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.reviews

PRODUCT NAME

	DP IBM Analog Joystick Interface

BRIEF DESCRIPTION

	The DP Interface is a hardware converter that allows the use of
analog joysticks on the Amiga, for programs that recognize standard IBM
analog joysticks.

AUTHOR/COMPANY INFORMATION

	Name:           DigiPrint, Inc.
	Address:        P.O. Box 13016
			Richmond, VA  23225
			USA

	Telephone:      (804) 560-1769

LIST PRICE

	$15.95 (US)

SPECIAL HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE REQUIREMENTS

	HARDWARE

		Requires an IBM compatible analog joystick.

	SOFTWARE

		None.

COPY PROTECTION

	None.

MACHINE USED FOR TESTING

	Amiga 2500, 25 MHz 68030/68552/68882
	2 MB Chip RAM, 10 MB Fast RAM
	Kickstart version 37.300, Workbench version 38.35
	Advanced Gravis Analog Joystick

INSTALLATION

	Extremely easy.  All you need to do is plug the joystick into the
DB-15 end of the interface, and then plug the 9-pin end of the interface
into port 2 (joystick port) on the Amiga.

REVIEW

	While playing my favorite flight simulators, I noticed that there
was a performance barrier caused by the software.  After many phone calls,
and some personal research, I came to the conclusion that it was a hardware
restriction, and decided to pursue getting an analog joystick for my Amiga.
Looking for analog joysticks for the Amiga is like trying to find hard
drives for the Commodore 64: possible, but not likely.  Enter the DP IBM
Analog Interface.

	With an analog joystick, you can experience the realism built into
the software which is unavailable to digital joystick users due to the lack
of sufficient input parameters.  Using an analog stick requires a new
mindset about programs that support them.  For example, you can align the
joystick manually for best performance (see next paragraph).  Once properly
aligned, the analog joystick gives a sense of feel and control that more
accurately mirrors the actual response to a real joystick in a real plane,
at least as far as the program is concerned.  I tried the analog versions of
several games, and found some amazing differences, as well as some astounding
conundrums.

	To align the joystick, you first set a 3-position impedance-matching
slide switch, which allows for rough calibration.  Next, you trim the pots
on the X and Y axis yokes with a nonconducting miniscrewdriver until you are
either straight and level, or the setup program shows you zeroed for stick
center.  

	Below is a tabulation of my results with a few programs supporting
the analog joysticks.

	Fighter Duel Pro Flight Recorder
	 Works well in all switch positions, and the stick recenters
	 accurately, although there is no provision for calibration or
	 feedback.

	A-10 Tank Killer (Version 1.5)
	 This was the second most consistent and stable program tested.
	 The preferences menu has joystick analog/digital and calibrate
	 joystick, and it works well. This is by far the most elegant and
	 straightforward implementation yet tested.  This program MUST
	 be run from a hard drive with an accelerated machine, and/or
	 with analog joystick mode selected.  I chose graphic mode 5 -- full
	 64-color with autodither -- and found the frame rate acceptably
	 smooth and accurate.  Stock machines running the 68000 CPU at
	 7.14 MHz wouldn't be able to control the game, even at graphics
	 level 1.   I know:  I tried and found it unacceptable.

	Flight of the Intruder
	 This rather lame flight simulator has a first-rate analog joystick
	 calibration program, enabling you to accurately set the proper
	 switch position on the interface, and the trim pots as well.

	Knights of the Sky ("KOTS")
	 This great flight simulator is hampered by the fact that to use the
	 analog joystick feature, you must disable any accelerator or
	 advanced processor that is present.  This was with the CBM A2630
	 with 4 MB of RAM, and a DKB 2632 with 4 MB RAM.  This is rather
	 odd, as DP is the official interface of MicroProse, and MP is
	 known for producing excellent and well-behaved programs.  I don't
	 know what the problem is, but both DP and MP said that some
	 accelerators don't work well with this combination.  Oh well.

	F-15 Strike Eagle II
	 Same as with KOTS, except the accelerator made the program hang.
	 Sound kept on going, but the graphics just froze.  So no
	 acceleration for those wanting to use MP games with analog
	 joysticks.  Seems like this could be remedied by MP, IMHO.

	Birds of Prey
	 While no specific commands, menus, or keyboard hotkeys activate
	 the analog joystick, the game does appear to autosense the input
	 device, and auto-center as well. While handling is greatly
	 improved, targeting and landing are significantly more difficult.

	After you are done experimenting with settings for a particular
program, I recommend creating a README file to remind you of the best
settings to use, as I have.

DOCUMENTATION

	The instructions come on a 5x7 inch, single-sided sheet that is
pretty straightforward.  There is even a recommended list of sticks which
includes all but the Kraft Thunderstick and the Thrustmaster, since they
require a special card inserted in an IBM 8 bit slot.  I doubt if these two
sticks would work on the Amiga side of a Bridge Board setup, although I've
not tested this idea.

LIKES AND DISLIKES

	I like the basic product, and wish it had support for the use of
rudder pedals.  Rudder pedal support comes from their DP IBM Bus Mouse
Interface, which also allows the use of 400 DPI mice.  What I'd like to see
is a product which incorporates both of these devices.  The bus mouse
interface retails for $9.95 US, and an order form comes with the DP joystick
interface.

	I also like the support staff; see VENDOR SUPPORT, below.

	You won't be disappointed with this product, and upgrades are
promised in the future to support the CH Flightstick with the "Coolie Hat,"
but no time frames have been given.

COMPARISON TO OTHER SIMILAR PRODUCTS

	The only other competition is the Amiga Smart Port from IDD.  For
almost four times the price, it allows the use of rudder pedals, and the
coolie hatted CH Flightstick.  For the money, you just can't beat the
combination of mouse and joystick interface for full analog joystick, and
rudder pedal use.

BUGS

	NONE

VENDOR SUPPORT

	The support staff are all Amiga, and are very loyal to their users.
They are very enthusiastic, receptive, and knowledgeable.  As they are now
the official MicroProse analog interface, I am hoping for better support of
those users running faster machines than a box stock A500.  What with
A3000's and A1200/4000's out in greater numbers, it seems a rather sad
commentary on the state of Amiga software vendor support when they go for
commonality rather than excellence, as is found in the IBM world.

	The vendor asks for ideas, and will share some of its profits with
anyone whose ideas that they adopt into production.  This is my kind of
company!

WARRANTY

	90 days on parts and labor, from date of purchase.

CONCLUSIONS

	This is a great product for the money, with lasting value and
usability.  I would urge all flight simulator fans strongly to consider the
DP interface, just to see the amazing difference it will make in your playing
enjoyment.  While I haven't tested the IDD interface for comparison, I feel
that for the money you won't find anything better anywhere, AFAIK.

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

	Copyright 1993 Michel J. Brown.  All rights reserved.

				  ||
				__||__ The opinions expressed by this author
[email-masked] __  __ are mine, and mine alone, and anybody
				  ||   claiming any resemblance to ideations
				  ||   on my part should be ashamed to admit
				  ||   it publicly! God Bless, and BCNU!
---

   Daniel Barrett, Moderator, comp.sys.amiga.reviews
   Send reviews to:	[email-masked]
   Request information:	[email-masked]
   Moderator mail:	[email-masked]
   Anonymous ftp site:  math.uh.edu, in /pub/Amiga/comp.sys.amiga.reviews