Subject: REVIEW: DigiPrint IBM Bus Mouse Interface
From: [email-masked] (Michel J. Brown)
Date: 21 Jun 1994 16:51:16 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.reviews

PRODUCT NAME

	DigiPrint IBM Bus Mouse Interface

BRIEF DESCRIPTION

	The DigiPrint Bus Mouse Interface is a completely self-contained
product that allows you replace your Amiga mouse with a wide variety of IBM
bus mice, trackballs, and other peripherals.  It supports three button mice,
uses port 1 only (i.e., the port you would normally use for your Amiga
mouse), and is entirely transparent to the user.

AUTHOR/COMPANY INFORMATION

	Name:		DigiPrint, Inc.
	Address:	PO Box 13016
			Richmond, VA  23225
			USA

	Telephone:      (804) 560-1769
	FAX:            (804) 560-1769

	E-mail:         [email-masked]

LIST PRICE

	$9.95 plus $3.00 shipping and handling (US funds).

SPECIAL HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE REQUIREMENTS

	HARDWARE

		An IBM compatible bus mouse or trackball. Examples given are
		the Microsoft Bus Mouse, Logitech Mouseman, and Logitech
		Trackman.

	SOFTWARE

		Works with all Amigas, and all versions of the OS.

COPY PROTECTION

	None.

MACHINE USED FOR TESTING

	Amiga 2500/030, 2MB Chip RAM, and 8MB Fast (32 bit) RAM.
	1 high-density floppy disk drive.
	Quantum Empire 1080 internal hard disk, Oktagon 2008 host adapter.
	A1960 multisync monitor.
	Kickstart version 37.300, Workbench version 38.35, AmigaDOS 2.1.
	CBM A2386SX25 bridge board.

INSTALLATION

	After turning off the power to your Amiga, simply plug in the round
male plug of your bus device into the female receptacle of the interface,
and plug the interface into port 1 (the usual mouse port).  The installation
is intuitively obvious to the most casual user.

REVIEW

	After my mouse (an Alfa-Data three button mouse) died, I was in the
market for a replacement. Looking at all the different possibilities left me
disheartened, as most Amiga mice are low resolution, and often the middle
button is non-functional (as on my old Alfa-Data).  I was also bothered by
the pricey but pretty trackballs for the Amiga that also suffer from
resolution problems.

	Then the solution struck me!  Why not use an IBM type device?  They
are high resolution, usually have three buttons, and are (relatively)
inexpensive.  I inherited a Logitech TrackMan Mouse from an IBM friend and
tried the interface just as soon as I got it in the mail.  My first
impression was WOW!  This thing is GREAT!  As space is at a premium in my
household, a trackball is more a necessity, rather than a luxury.  It works
flawlessly with almost all programs that recognize the middle button.  With
the program middle button by Michael Sinz, it now becomes a shift key for
multiple selections, freeing my keyboard for combination commands like those
found in Deluxe Paint 4.x and Imagine 2.0 and 3.0.

	The only problem that I have found so far is that the middle button
is not supported by AMouse, the mouse emulator for bridgeboard Amigas, but
this is a fair tradeoff, all other things considered.  The 600 DPI
resolution of the trackball makes the Amiga cursor fly around the Workbench
with lightning speed at the flick of a thumb.  Using a trackball (like a
mouse, but upside down) takes some getting used to, but so far I have been
well pleased in most respects with both the interface and my new
trackball.  By the way, I called Computer City, and they said they would
sell me the same trackball new for $29.95 (US funds), which I find
reasonable.

DOCUMENTATION

	Documentation consists of four paragraphs describing installation,
types of devices supported, and the standard disclaimer information with
their support number.

LIKES

	I like the fact that I can now use inexpensive peripherals for
input, and look forward to their keyboard adapter allowing us Amiga users to
use the 101-key enhanced AT-style keyboards.  I also like the fact that I can
now use high resolution devices that were previously are unusable on
Amigas.  This product is ideally suited for any kind of precision work where
pixel-by-pixel resolution is required, like in 3D work, animations, 24 bit
paint, touch up, and image processing.

DISLIKES AND SUGGESTIONS

	This really isn't something that DigiPrint can control, but some of
the IBM bridgeboard programs I use don't like the bus mouse interface, and
none so far recognize the middle button as anything other than the left
mouse button.  As this is probably an AMouse software problem, I can't hold
DigiPrint responsible for this, but a rewritten AMouse driver would be nice,
VERY nice.

COMPARISON TO OTHER SIMILAR PRODUCTS

	Unlike analog joysticks and keyboard adapters, the bus mouse
interface has no other comparable or similar product available, as far as I
know.

BUGS

	None noted.

VENDOR SUPPORT

	I have had previous experience in calling the vendor about a related
product (their analog joystick adapter), and found them helpful,
enthusiastic, and very supportive.  They intend to stay with the Amiga as
long as the users continue to use their Amigas.  I am in no way associated
with DigiPrint, other than being a very satisfied customer of their fine
products.

WARRANTY

	This product is warranted against defects in materials and
workmanship for a period of 90 days after receipt of purchased merchandise.
Replacement of product is the buyer's sole remedy, with standard disclaimers
applying to damages and standard exclusions as provided by law.  Your state
laws may vary.

CONCLUSIONS

	This is an excellent product at a very reasonable price.  I am very
happy with my new trackball setup and have increased my productivity with
the use of the middle button as a shift key.  If I were to give a rating to
this product, I would be hard pressed to give anything less than a five star
rating out of five, unless, of course, they wrote a new AMouse driver (hint
hint). In my opinion, no one would complain about the ease of use and the
increased usability given to their system.  Finally, I'd like to thank
DigiPrint for coming out with a very useful product that really has become
an indispensable part of my Amiga environment.

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

	Copyright 1994, Dr. Michel J. Brown.  All rights reserved.

---

   Daniel Barrett, Moderator, comp.sys.amiga.reviews
   Send reviews to:	[email-masked]
   Request information:	[email-masked]
   Moderator mail:	[email-masked]
   Anonymous ftp site:  math.uh.edu, in /pub/Amiga/comp.sys.amiga.reviews