Subject: MINI-REVIEW: Fresh Fish CD-ROM #1, October 1993
From: [email-masked] (Daniel Barrett)
Date: 4 Nov 1993 03:44:24 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.reviews

Fred Fish's first CD-ROM disc, "Fresh Fish, October 1993", is a
fantastic resource for any Amiga owner, especially programmers and
knowledgable users.  This disc is a pleasure to use and was obviously put
together by someone with a strong knowledge of not only the Amiga, but also
freeware in general.

	Unlike many other Amiga CD-ROM discs containing freeware, this disc
contains software that is ready to run and well organized, instead of
archived and/or organized by floppy disk number.  Here is just a sampling of
the major software on the disc:

		GNU Emacs
		The GNU C++ compiler
		The Amiga "E" compiler
		PasTeX
		Commodore's AmigaGuide and Installer
		Commodore's AmigaDOS 2.04 and 3.0 "include" files
		Anders Bjerin's famous "CManual" Amiga programming tutorial
		lha, lharc, lhwarp, warp, dms, gzip, and other archivers
		BTNTape tape driver
		AmiCDROM CD-ROM filesystem
		A few dozen GNU and BSD UNIX tools, ported to the Amiga
		Fish Disks 600-930

	But this disc is more than just a bunch of software thrown together.
Real thought went into what is included here.  For example, PasTeX (a
port of the TeX typesetting system) comes not only with many fonts and
macro packages, but also Michael Doob's famous "Gentle Introduction To
TeX", Geoffrey Tobin's "Metafont for Beginners", extra DVI printer
drivers, dvips, BibTeX, and Fig.  Nice!!!

	Make sure you read the README-FIRST file on the disc.  If you don't,
then you won't learn about the script file you need to execute to set up
everything for use.

	I recommend this disc highly.  If this is any indication of
future discs, I recommend them highly too.

	Amiga Library Services
	610 N. Alma School Road, Suite 18
	Chandler, AZ  85224-3687
	U.S.A.

	voice/FAX:  (602) 917-0917

	The price is $29.95 per CD-ROM, plus $3.00 shipping and handling to
USA/Canada/Mexico, or $5.00 shipping and handling elsewhere.  If you order a
CD-ROM before it is released, you get a discount.  A 6-page description of
the CD-ROM distribution is available by e-mail from Fred Fish at
[email-masked].

                                                        Dan

 //////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
| Dan Barrett -- Dept of Computer Science, Lederle Graduate Research Center |
| University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA  01003  --  [email-masked] |
 \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\/////////////////////////////////////

---

   Daniel Barrett, Moderator, comp.sys.amiga.reviews
   Send reviews to:	[email-masked]
   Request information:	[email-masked]
   Moderator mail:	[email-masked]
   Anonymous ftp site:  math.uh.edu, in /pub/Amiga/comp.sys.amiga.reviews