Subject: REVIEW: KB100 adaptor for AT keyboard
From: [email-masked] (David Bump)
Date: 24 Oct 1996 00:49:32 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.reviews

PRODUCT NAME

	KB100

BRIEF DESCRIPTION

	Adaptor for using an AT keyboard with an Amiga computer.

AUTHOR/COMPANY INFORMATION

	Name:		Paxtron
	Address:	28 Grove Street
			Spring Valley, NY 10977

	Telephone:	(800) 815-3241, (914) 578-6522
	FAX:		(914) 624-3239

	World Wide Web:	http://www.paxtron.com

LIST PRICE

	$49.95 (US) 
	$59.95 (US) for an integrated adaptor and keyboard.

DEMO VERSION

	None

SPECIAL HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE REQUIREMENTS

	HARDWARE

		A2000 (5 pin DIN) or A4000 (6 pin MiniDIN) keyboard
		connector required.

	SOFTWARE

		None

COPY PROTECTION

	None

HARDWARE USED FOR TESTING

	Amiga 1200 (Modified for an external keyboard)
	Amiga 2000
	PC Concepts 104-Key keyboard (Model SK-1100CW)

INSTALLATION

	Plug the cable from the adaptor box into the computer's
keyboard connector plug, and the keyboard cable into the connector on
the adaptor itself.  The documentation suggests that you turn your
computer off during installation.

REVIEW

	The adaptor is a small box, roughly 3" by 2" by 1" in size,
with a 6" long cable exiting one side of the box, and a socket on the
opposite side.  There are two models of the KB100, one for A2000
variants, using the 5 pin DIN connector, and another model with
connectors that match the mini DIN connector of the A4000.

	The adaptor works very well, I haven't had any trouble with it
in the several weeks I have been using it.

	The adaptor remaps certain keys to emulate an Amiga keyboard.
The Caps Lock doubles as the Ctrl key (if you press it in conjunction
with another key, it acts as Ctrl; if you press it alone, it acts
normally).  The left and right Ctrl keys are remapped to the left and
right Amiga keys, respectively.  The Print Screen/SysRq and Scroll
Lock keys (to the right of the function keys) are also mapped to the
left and right Amiga keys.  F11 and F12 are mapped to the left and
right parentheses.  The Num Lock key (in the upper left of the keypad)
is also mapped to the Ctrl key.  The number lock function of an AT
keyboard is not supported (the keypad acts only as a keypad, not
doubling as a cursor pad).  The block of keys above the cursor keys is
mapped, oddly, to mouse movement.  Insert, Home, Page Up and End
correspond, respectively, to pointer left, up, right and down.  Page
Down is mapped to the Help key (this is undocumented).  The rest of
the keys function normally.  The right Alt key may have some other
function which I have been unable to discern--it is labeled, in the
documentation's pictorial keymap, as "Alt Gr."  The "Windows" keys of
104-key keyboards are not usefully mapped by the adaptor.  The left
and right windows keys both produce an apostrophe (`), and the menu
key produces the letter A.

The adaptor even duplicates the keyboard reboot key-combination
(Ctrl-Left Amiga-Right Amiga) of normal Amiga keyboards.  Users who
have modified their A1200s for external keyboards should note that
this feature may not function on their modified hardware, and may even
disable the keyboard until a reboot is performed.

DOCUMENTATION

	The documentation consists of a single, one-sided sheet which
describes the installation, and diagrams the keymap.  This is a little
sparse, but really does include everything I needed to know.  I would
have appreciated a table of the special keys, rather than a pictorial
representation.

LIKES

	It's simple; it does precisely what it needs to.  I especially
like the use of the Caps Lock key doubling for Ctrl--I originally
thought this would be troublesome, but I have found it is completely
transparent in use.

DISLIKES AND SUGGESTIONS

	The documentation could have been a bit more detailed.  I
would have liked support for the extra keys on 104-key keyboards, and
configurable mapping of those keys.

COMPARISON TO OTHER SIMILAR PRODUCTS

	I haven't used any other similar adaptor; it may be the only
commercially available adaptor at this time.  There is no noticeable
difference, aside from becoming accustomed to new key locations, from
using an Amiga keyboard.

BUGS

	None found.

VENDOR SUPPORT

	Unknown.

WARRANTY

	The only mention of a warranty, that I found, is on the
"Warranty Seal" covering the seam in the adaptor's enclosure.

CONCLUSIONS

	The device does exactly what it claims; further, it maps the
special keys found on a regular Amiga keyboard--which is an essential
feature.  It provides an alternative to the relatively expensive Amiga
keyboard; though it may not provide significant savings on the initial
investment, keyboard replacements in the future will be much less
expensive.  I won't recommend it as an upgrade for a user who already
has a working keyboard, but for those who need to replace their
keyboard, or who are interested in the specialized varieties of AT
keyboards, it is an excellent choice.

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

	This text is freely distributable.

	David Bump
	[email-masked]

---

   Accepted and posted by Daniel Barrett, comp.sys.amiga.reviews moderator
   Send reviews to:	[email-masked]
   Request information:	[email-masked]
   Moderator mail:	[email-masked]
   Anonymous ftp site:  math.uh.edu, in /pub/Amiga/comp.sys.amiga.reviews
   Web site: ftp://math.uh.edu/pub/Amiga/comp.sys.amiga.reviews/index.html