Subject: REVIEW: NewsRog news reader
From: [email-masked] (Justin Smith)
Date: 17 Sep 1998 10:52:44 -0400
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.reviews

PRODUCT NAME

    NewsRog version 1.0

BRIEF DESCRIPTION

    NewsRog is an online/offline NNTP newsreader for the Amiga.

AUTHOR/COMPANY INFORMATION

    Name:       ShadowWorks Software - developer
    Address:    405 Pulsar St.
                Fort Collins, CO 80525

    E-mail:     [email-masked]
    World Wide Web: http://www.frii.com/~srk/ShadowWorks/

    Name:       Questar Productions - distributor

    Telephone:  303-659-4028
    FAX:        303-659-4068

    E-mail:     [email-masked]
    World Wide Web: http://www.questarproductions.com

LIST PRICE

    US $35.00

DEMO VERSION

    Go to http://www.frii.com/~srk/ShadowWorks/Preview/NR.html then
    follow the "Ordering" link for info on the demo.

    The demo limits users to only a few newsgroups and won't allow saving
    of settings.  Also, some header caching is disabled making the demo
    slower than the full commercial product.

SPECIAL HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE REQUIREMENTS

    HARDWARE

        8 MB RAM is recommended, and more helps.
    
        8 MB hard drive space is required.

        68020 or better processor is required.
        68040 or better processor is recommended.

        Graphics card supporting at least 800x600x8-bit is recommended.

    SOFTWARE
    
        AmigaDOS 3.0 or better is required.

        Magic User Interface 3.8 is required.

        AmiTCP, Miami, or equivalent networking software is required.

        Standard Commodore Installer program

        A WWW browser (for the online documentation)

    ADDITIONAL:

        Access to an RFC 997 NNTP News Server

COPY PROTECTION

    Keyfile (in the main program directory)

MACHINE USED FOR TESTING

    Amiga 4000/040
    Warp Engine 4040 40Mhz
    48 MB Fast RAM, 2 MB Chip RAM, 3.2 GB IDE hard drive
    Kickstart version 39.106
    Workbench version 39.29
    Picasso IV graphics card with Picasso 96 v.1.40
    ASDG Multi-serial port card
    A2065 Ethernet card    
    U.S.Robotics Sportster 33.6 External Faxmodem
    Miami 3.0

INSTALLATION

    The software comes in a real box, with a full-color cover.  It
    comes on 2 HD floppies formatted to 880 KB.

    The installation is done with the standard Commodore Installer
    program.

    Installation was relatively straightforward, with one exception
    detailed in the BUGS and VENDER SUPPORT sections.

    The installer asks for the command line to send a URL to your
    preferred WWW browser.  The default is set for IBrowse.  It might
    be a good idea to look this up beforehand.

REVIEW

    BACKGROUND

    Ever since switching from my 200Mhz Pentium powered Windoze NT PC
    to my Amiga for internet usage, I've been searching for a good
    newsreader to keep me from regretting the switch.

    I had been using Outlook Express on the PC, and was looking for
    something that could at least equal it on the Amiga.  I was in for a
    big disappointment.  I searched the internet and downloaded all of
    Amiga newsreaders I could find that had available demos, but I
    couldn't find one that was stable, easy to use, and able to
    compete with Outlook Express in terms of features.

    When I first heard about NewsRog and checked out the available
    web page with screenshots and a features list, I decided to put
    my last bit of Amiga newsreader faith into it, and eagerly
    awaited its arrival.  When it came, I ordered it online
    immediately, before the demo was even available.

    I was not disappointed.  And now, my first Amiga product review:

    CONFIGURATION

    Configuration can be a bit complicated because there are so many
    features and options.  It doesn't take long to get a minimal working
    setup, however.  Just enter in your news server name type in the
    name or names of some groups you want to read into the "News Groups"
    window.

    The initial configuration is aided by a tutorial in the HTML
    documentation called, aptly enough, "Initial Configuration."

    Beyond the simple minimum configuration, the configuration options
    for the advanced user are numerous.  Just about everything can
    be configured.

    A big part of this configurability comes from the modular design of
    NewsRog.  Can you say plugins?

    27 plugins come with NewsRog and can be turned on or off and
    configured while running, individually for each newsgroup!
    They are responsible for everything from UUDecoding and un-MIME-ing
    binaries to hiding headers and signatures to changing the
    way the text is displayed.  This makes all of these features
    upgradeable and replaceable.  I can't wait for more plugins to arrive,
    and more should follow from users once the developer's toolkit is
    finished.

    These plugins, as well as filters, can be turned on or off and
    configured individually for each newgroup, or can be set globally.

    LAYOUT:

    NewsRog's layout is based on several separate windows to control the
    program, and separate windows for each open newsgroup.

    The main window, the "Launcher" features some nicely done pictures
    for buttons to open the other windows - "Groups," "Servers,"
    "Network," "Posts," "Multimedia," and "Config," described below.

    Each window can be opened independently from the Launcher buttons
    or by menu.

    Groups: this window is the main controller for subscribing to and
    maintaining newsgroups.  Each newsgroup can be attached to
    separate severs.  This and other options are controlled from this
    starting point.  A simple display tells you if NewsRog is in online
    or offline mode, but a toggle button to change this would be nice.

    Servers: this window is where you enter and maintain the NNTP servers
    you use.  It displays a lot of interesting information, including
    the name, # of successful connects, # of failed connects, connect
    success percentage, and whether posting is allowed.

    Network: from here you can control and get information on NewsRog's
    open network connections.  It even displays the speed of the
    connection, and you can disconnect from any of them at any time.

    Posts: this is the posting queue, from where you write and edit your
    posts.  Writing posts requires an external editor, which you
    specify.  Saving the text in the editor brings the text into the
    displayed post in the posting queue.  You can open a file requester
    to attach a signature file, but no fancy signature options are
    currently supported.

    Multimedia: this window controls the handling of different file types
    and their associated actions.  Files can be recognized by a bunch
    of different methods, but this section is probably the most
    confusing for the beginning user.  A large selection of types
    built in would be a plus.

    Config: this is the main base of control for many major configuration
    options, including such essentials as the user's name and email
    address for posting.  This is also where global filters and plugins
    are controlled.  I won't go into all of the options in this review.

    SO, HOW DOES IT WORK?

    The answer: it works great!

    I haven't had the time nor the need to try out a lot of the 
    features, but I'm already very happy with what I do need and use.

    It reads both on and offline, allowing the caching of articles, so
    I can download my favorite groups at night and read them later.

    One of my first stops in Usenet land was
    alt.binaries.pictures.fractals, where I could test how NewsRog handled
    binaries.  In order to see the downloaded pictures (in-line!!!) I first
    had to turn on the UUDecode plugin for the group, then I started
    downloading pictures.  They displayed beautifully (in-line!!!), and
    above every picture appears a control box displaying some information
    and providing buttons to save the file to RAM: or save to another
    directory.

    Non-binary groups are great with NewsRog as well, especially the
    filtering and kill options which are much more powerful than
    Outlook Express.

    It's a lot faster to read and follow Usenet conversations with
    article prefetching.  You can set the number of articles to prefetch
    for each group you subscribe to.

    Multithreading!  This is what really kills Outlook Express.  I can
    read multiple groups at the same time.  I can read articles while
    other articles are downloading, or even while the headers are still
    downloading.  I can begin to subscribe to groups while they are 
    still downloading from the server.  No waiting, ever!

    At any time, I can abort any specific downloads.  No more sitting there
    waiting if I accidentally start loading headers from a group or
    start reading a huge binary post.

    With multithreading and easy aborting, I'm in control.  This is what
    it should feel like to use an Amiga, something that several other
    Amiga newsreaders could learn from.

    Full AREXX support is coming soon, the documentation says, and a
    developers toolkit.  These things will make it the ultimate
    newsreader for Amiga power users.  Catalogues in many languages
    and integrated email support are also promised.

    NewsRog does want a better than average system to be put to best 
    use, which is no problem with me.

    So, download the demo and give it a try.  If you're looking for a
    good newsreader for your Amiga, NewsRog could be just right for
    you as well.

DOCUMENTATION

    NewsRog shipped with only a simple features list and instructions to
    start the installation as printed documentation.  The rest of the
    documentation is in HTML format and is installed during the
    installation process.

    The HTML documentation is very extensive, while at the same time
    being easy to use for beginners.  It even covers what Usenet is,
    giving a brief history and a brief lecture on posting etiquette.
    A web link is provided to a Usenet FAQ.

    Interspersed within the documentation are screenshots detailing
    the topics discussed.

    A series of 14 tutorials is provided to walk the user through the
    program.  A reference section provides details on all of the
    program's features.

    Just about every button, gadget, etc. is enhanced by MUI online help
    bubbles, giving brief descriptions of what everything does.  I've
    found this very useful when trying to figure out what all of the
    various buttons are for.

    The demo of NewsRog comes with the full HTML documentation, so
    download it and check it out yourself.

LIKES

    Multithreaded!  Multithreaded!  Multithreaded!

    Abortable networking, plugins, article prefetch, great documentation,
    ease of use, configurability, etc.  I could go on, but it's easier
    to just have you download the demo and try it yourself.  I won't
    quote the feature list for you, but it is impressive.

DISLIKES AND SUGGESTIONS

    I'd like to see a button on the "Groups" window to switch
    NewsRog back and forth between online and offline modes instead
    of having to use the menu.

    The functions available through the toolbar buttons in the various
    windows should also be available from the menus, at least the major
    ones.  It's a lot easier to scan through a list of text menu options
    than slowly moving the mouse pointer over the buttons, waiting for
    the MUI help bubbles to pop up.

    Optional NewIcons icons would be nice, as the provided MagicWB icons
    show up completely scrambled on my display.

    It would be nice to be able to change the options for a subscribed
    group without having to open up the group, causing the loading of
    cached headers.

    I would like the "Save As" for UUDecoded and un-MIME-d binaries to
    remember the directory you're using rather than defaulting to RAM:
    every time.

    The signature support could be expanded.  It would be nice to be
    able to specify separate signatures for posting to different groups
    or hierarchies of groups.  Built-in random signature support could
    be added as well.

COMPARISON TO OTHER SIMILAR PRODUCTS

    I've tried just about every Amiga newsreader I could find 
    (admittedly betas and demos for some), and NewsRog tops them all.

    Thor would seem to be the only one that could possibly compete on
    features, but Thor was so complicated I never did get it fully
    working.  NewsRog is easy to set up and use.

    So far, NewsRog has never crashed like many other Amiga newsreaders
    I've tried.  It is very stable and professionally done.

    I've never had to wait long periods or disconnect from the internet
    in order to stop NewsRog from downloading something, like I have 
    with some other newsreaders.  Every download in NewsRog is abortable.

    NewsRog just seems the most professional overall, from the layout to
    the features to the documentation.

    On other platforms, I've found NewsRog more useable and powerful than
    both Netscape's newsreader and Microsoft's Outlook Express.  It's
    also a lot more stable.

BUGS

    The major bug I encountered arose from special circumstances.  The
    first 12 copies of NewsRog shipped apparently had duplication
    errors on the first disk.  My serial number indicates that I got
    copy number 2!

    Before I even received NewsRog in the mail, an email from Questar
    Productions told me I was sent one of the first 12 copies,
    informed me of the problem, and provided a fix to the disk.

    There's a "Known Bugs" section in the HTML documentation, with a
    pledge that these bugs are being worked on.

VENDOR SUPPORT

    My only contact with the vender so far has been emails providing
    bug fixes.  The first such email I received detailed the problem
    with the first 12 copies of NewsRog.  Questar, the distributor,
    had contacted me and provided a solution to the problem, and
    this was before I had even received NewsRog in the mail and could
    send in my registration card.

    I received another email from Questar this morning, providing
    a replacement file for another fixed bug.  

    This is a lot better support than I'm used to from dealing with
    some Amiga companies.  There are great ones and very bad ones.
    From my experience so far, ShadowWorks Software and Questar
    Productions appear to be on the great side.  I expect nothing
    but rapid responses to any technical support I need as well as
    continued updates and bug fixes.

WARRANTY

    NewsRog does not come with any kind of warranty.

CONCLUSIONS

    NewsRog is the best newsreader I've ever used, on any platform.  It
    still needs some work, as evidenced by the "Future Plans" section of
    the HTML documentation - things like full AREXX support, integrated
    email support, and a PowerPC native version if the demand exists.

    Because it's still a work in progress, although great already, I'll
    give it 8 points out of 10.

    My final impression is that I'm glad I spent the money for
    NewsRog, and will continue to pay for upgrades and newer versions
    in the future.

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

    Copyright 1998 Justin Smith

    Distribute this freely if you wish.

    -- Justin Smith

---

   Accepted and posted by Daniel Barrett, comp.sys.amiga.reviews moderator
   Send reviews to:	[email-masked]
   Request information:	[email-masked]
   Moderator mail:	[email-masked]
   Anonymous ftp site:  math.uh.edu, in /pub/Amiga/comp.sys.amiga.reviews
   Web site:		http://math.uh.edu/~barrett/reviews.html