Subject: REVIEW: Nib 2.0
From: [email-masked] (Rob Morton)
Date: 21 Apr 1993 15:33:34 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.reviews

PRODUCT NAME

	Nib version 2.0

BRIEF DESCRIPTION

	A software copier for copy-protected disks.  It is described as a
"disk nibbler and parameter copier."

AUTHOR/COMPANY INFORMATION

	Name:		Stellar Systems, Inc.
	Address:	Attn. Software Development
			P.O. Box 9047
			Hampton, VA 23670-0047

	Distributed by:	Utilities Unlimited, Incorporated
			1641 McCulloch Blvd, Suite #25-124
			Lake Havasu City, AZ 86403

	Telephone:	(602) 680-9004 (Distributor)
	FAX:		(602) 680-9006 (Distributor)

	E-mail:		[email-masked]

LIST PRICE

	I have no idea about price; it came free when I bought my Super Card
Ami (see other review of this product).  The manual says $44.95 (US).

	[MODERATOR'S NOTE:  Nib 1.0 appeared in 1989 as a freely
	distributable product.  "Registered ownership" of the commercial
	version 2.0 was offered to users at that time for $16.  The expected
	list price at that time was $38.00.  I can't believe I remember this
	stuff.  - Dan]

SPECIAL HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE REQUIREMENTS

	None.

COPY PROTECTION

	None.  Hard drive installable.

MACHINE USED FOR TESTING

	A2000, 1 Meg Chip RAM, 2 Meg Fast RAM, AmigaDOS 1.3, 2 internal
drives, 1 external drive, 100 Megs of hard drive space.

REVIEW

	The first thing you notice is that Nib talks to you.  When you load
the program, it speaks, "Nib, disk nibbler and parameter copier" in a low,
sampled voice.  That's pretty cool and impresses people that see this
copier.  It speaks quite a lot.  It also says "Error", "Long", "Disks", and
"Copy complete".  This may seem silly, but it helps to not have to watch the
screen.

	The user interface meets no official style guidelines, but it is
very easy to use.  I have used this program to remove the protection from
some games that use "look up in the manual" methods.  It does so quite
well.  It also seems to be able to copy almost any disk that doesn't have a
long track on it, even if it is not in the parameter list.  You can select
individual tracks to copy.  After you copy the disk, if there were any
errors, you hit a button, and only those tracks will be copied.  You can
select between several different copy methods and try them out on the tracks
that didn't work the first time.  Of course, the ideal solution would be to
have a parameter for the particular disk.  As far as I know, the parameter
list has not been updated at all.  When you leave the program, it frees the
disk drives for normal use again.

PROGRAMS SUCCESSFULLY COPIED

	I usually used the best copier for the task.  Raw Copy would copy and
remove protections, so it got used for manual-based games the most.  Nib got
used for most of the first round of copying, and then any long tracks I did
individually with Super Card Ami II.  If that didn't work, then I just used
Super Card Ami.  (See my reviews of the other 2 copiers mentioned.)

	Copied:
		Marble Madness
		Menace
		Rampage
	Copied and removed "look up in the manual" protection:
		Battle Chess

DOCUMENTATION

	It is on the disk but is very complete.  It tells everything that
one would need to know.  The author even includes ASCII drawings as pictures
which are accurate enough to make it understandable.

LIKES AND DISLIKES

	Likes:

		The speaking, is great. I love this feature.

		It is great to be able instantly to pick the tracks that
		didn't copy the first time.

		As far as I know, the parameters work perfectly. (They did
		for me, but my game collection is not really extensive).

	Dislikes:

		It can't copy long tracks. I got this program with Super
		Card Ami (Hardware copier that can copy long tracks), so I
		would think the two should work together a little.

		While copying, at times the screen gets messed up
		temporarily.

		I am not sure that it is still being supported, at least I
		have gotten no update information on it.

	Suggestions:

		Use Super Card Ami.
		Update the parameter list.
		Stop the screen from flashing.
		Add a bigger vocabulary.

COMPARISON TO OTHER SIMILAR PRODUCTS

	I have Raw Copy as well, and Nib has a much nicer looking interface
and the unique feature of speaking.  They are very similar products in that
both get rid of manual, dongle, and code wheel protection schemes.  Nib wins
out in every category except support.  With parameter copying programs,
support is a must.

BUGS

	None.

VENDOR SUPPORT

	See above.  I am not sure if they are even thinking of supporting it.

WARRANTY

	I have no idea.  It is not mentioned in the documentation.

CONCLUSIONS

	This is a great program with no support.  Because of the lack of
support I would have to give this game a ranking of 3 out of 4, but that
will go down as time goes on... unless games start being released without
copy protection.
---

   Daniel Barrett, Moderator, comp.sys.amiga.reviews
   Send reviews to:	[email-masked]
   Request information:	[email-masked]
   Moderator mail:	[email-masked]