Subject: REVIEW: Panavision Multimedia PC/TV Video Converter
From: [email-masked] (Warren Block)
Date: 12 Oct 1995 14:00:39 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.reviews

PRODUCT NAME

	Panavision Multimedia PC/TV Video Converter

BRIEF DESCRIPTION

	A device that allows you to view normal composite video and TV
signals on a VGA monitor.

AUTHOR/COMPANY INFORMATION

 MANUFACTURER

	Name:		Leader Precision Industrial Co. Ltd.
	Address:	No 20-6
			Hsia Kuei Jon Shan
			Taipei Hsien
			Taiwan R.O.C.

	Telephone:	886-2-6235090
	FAX:		886-2-6235354

 PLACE PURCHASED

	Name:		Dalco Electronics
	Address:	275 Pioneer Boulevard
			Springboro, Ohio  45066
			USA

	Telephone:	(800) 445-5342 (USA and Canada)
			(800) 543-2526 Technical Support
			(513) 743-8042
	Fax		(513) 743-9251

	BBS:		(513) 743-2244
	Compuserve:	"GO DA".

LIST PRICE

	Unknown. Dalco sells it for $274.15.

SPECIAL HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE REQUIREMENTS

	HARDWARE

		VGA-compatible (31.5 kHz) or multisync monitor.
		A Commodore 1080 or 1084 will not work.

	SOFTWARE

		None.

COPY PROTECTION

	None.

MACHINE USED FOR TESTING

	Amiga 4000, 16M Fast RAM, 2M Chip RAM
	Idek Vision Master 8617 Monitor
	AmigaDOS 3.1

INSTALLATION

	Disconnect the monitor cable from the DB23-to-HDD15 adapter on the
back of the A4000. Attach the supplied HDD15-to-HDD15 cable to both the
adapter on the A4000 and the video converter, and plug the monitor into the
video converter. Optionally, attach audio and other video cables from the
Amiga or other devices to the video converter.

REVIEW

	Although it is easy to use, this item combines a lot of complex
functions, so I'll start by defining them:

	Video And Audio Switcher

	   Switch between the computer VGA signal and the other signals
	   plugged into the video converter.

	Cable Television Tuner

	   Standard cable-type TV tuner.

	Stereo Amplifier And Speaker

	   Inputs and outputs are stereo, although, since there is only one
	   speaker built into the the video converter, sound played on the
	   video converter comes out mono.

	Scan Doubler

	   This circuitry lets the video converter display 15 kHz signals at
	   a 31.5 kHz rate.

	Attached to the video converter, your VGA-compatible monitor
essentially becomes a TV. The video converter provides jacks for two
composite video inputs, each with its own pair of stereo audio RCA jacks.
Also provided are connectors for a VGA input from the computer, a pair of
headphones or "computer speakers," a TV antenna or cable, and a five-pin DIN
for the video converter power supply.

	Physically, the video converter is a mini-tower layout, about eight
inches high, three inches wide, and ten inches deep. On the front are LED
indicators that show what input is presently active. A large Panavision name
plate on the top front of the unit disguises the infrared remote sensor.
That's right, this unit comes with a remote!

	With the video converter connected between the monitor and the Amiga,
there's no difference in video operation with the computer. As long as the
video converter is set to the "PC" (VGA) input, the monitor acts like
normal. To select the TV tuner as the signal input, just press the "TV"
button on the remote. At this point, it becomes a TV.  The remote provides
all the standard controls, including channel and volume up and down, input
selection, and numeric channel buttons. It is even possible to adjust
brightness, contrast, color, tint, sharpness, bass, treble, and stereo
balance using on-screen menus.  The value of these adjustments are somewhat
questionable, as the unit doesn't have any power-off memory, so any changes
made are forgotten when power is switched off.

	I ran an RG-6 coax cable from the RF output of my Monterey satellite
receiver to the video converter's antenna input, and set both units to
channel 4. The video converter is also used as an audio amp and speaker for
both the Amiga and a nearby Pentium system.

DOCUMENTATION

	A five-page flyer describes the unit's connectors, remote control,
basic operation, and specifications. It's very light on details, but most
people would not need anything more.

LIKES

	The video converter works, and the integration of video and audio
functions is a natural.

	Despite the small size of the speaker, it still sounds much better
than any of the so-called "computer speakers" I've heard.

	If you switch to TV mode, then back to PC, the video converter still
plays the TV audio, so you can listen to TV programming while working on the
computer.

	The mini-tower format is nice; the box doesn't take a lot of desk
space.

	An adapter cable is provided to draw power for the video converter
from a standard 5.25-inch disk drive connector. Considering that the A4000
power supply is often inadequate for even minor expansion hardware, I use
the "wall wart" transformer also provided. Still, it's nice to have the
option.

DISLIKES AND SUGGESTIONS

	There is no battery backup for audio or video settings. On power-up,
all settings are set to their defaults. Fortunately, these defaults are
usually adequate.

	High-contrast or bright areas in a TV picture tend to bleed, and
solid white areas can bleed badly. It doesn't make the picture unwatchable,
though. It's possible that this is an artifact of the composite to VGA
conversion.

	Shielding is not particularly good; since there's a TV station
broadcasting on channel 3 in my area, the video converter's TV picture was
almost unusable on channel 3; channel 4 worked well.

	The remote control is not recognized for about the first 20 seconds
after the unit has been turned on. This can be inconvenient.

	A very nice addition to the unit would be another VGA input, so it
could be used to switch one monitor between two computers.

COMPARISON TO OTHER SIMILAR PRODUCTS

	If there are other similar products, I've never seen them.

BUGS

	There's supposed to be an MTS stereo decoder in the unit; an LED on
the front indicates when an MTS broadcast is being received and decoded.
This has never worked for me, although the RF output from the satellite
receiver *is* in MTS stereo. A second unit provided as a replacement by
Dalco had the same problem.

	The firmware in the video converter could stand a little tuning. For
instance, when switching from PC to TV, the on-screen channel display is
supposed to disappear after a few seconds, and usually does.  Sometimes,
though, it just stays there until you press the Display button on the
remote. The manual doesn't address this, so it's possible I'm just doing
something wrong.

VENDOR SUPPORT

	Dalco quickly sent out a replacement unit when I informed them of the
MTS decoder problem. In this and my other experiences with them, they've
provided excellent support.

WARRANTY

	A warranty card was included for the manufacturer, but it was printed
in Chinese (I think -- it could have been Martian for all I know).

	Dalco covers all the items in their catalog with a one-year warranty.
Additionally, there is a 30-day money back guarantee (shipping charges
non-refundable).

CONCLUSIONS

	If you're considering purchasing the video converter, you should also
consider buying a TV set. Each has its own advantages. The video converter
provides integration with the equipment you already have, and takes little
space. A TV set takes a fair amount of space, but can be used without your
computer monitor, and probably will provide a better picture.

	It really hinges on price. For the combination of features that the
video converter provides, I can't see it being sold for very much less than
the $275 that Dalco is asking. At the same time, for that much money, it
should provide the same basic features that a TV would provide; mainly, this
would be battery-backed memory for the settings like volume and picture
controls, and a functional MTS decoder.

	Having said that, I bought one, and now would have a hard time doing
without the convenience of it.

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

	Copyright 1995 Warren Block.  This file may be redistributed freely
as long as no changes are made to it.

.----------------------------------------------------------------.
|  Warren R. Block    *  New EMail Address: [email-masked]  |
|  Rapid City SD USA  *  Brought to you in majestic INEMASCOP!   |
`----------------------------------------------------------------'

---

   Accepted and posted by Daniel Barrett, comp.sys.amiga.reviews moderator
   Send reviews to:	[email-masked]
   Request information:	[email-masked]
   Moderator mail:	[email-masked]
   Anonymous ftp site:  math.uh.edu, in /pub/Amiga/comp.sys.amiga.reviews