Subject: REVIEW: The Perfect General
From: "SYSTEM MANAGER" <[email-masked]>
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.reviews

The Perfect General from Quantum Quality Productions is a strategy game that
utilizes maps and turns to simulate military conflict.  Mark Baldwin
designed the graphics version of Empire, a game that I am hopelessly
addicted too!  Bob Rakosky did the port for the Amiga, and one that
should be admired as it was hard disk installable in the height of
gronk the disk drive age.  The same addictiveness that made Empire
the game it is, has been incorporated in The Perfect General.

[Wow.  This is the second review I've received on this game.  I wish I
could get this response for more Amiga products. JLT3]

This game costs $49.95 and will run on an A500/A2x000/A3000 machine
under AmigaDOS 2.0 and AmigaDOS 1.3.  The game is hard disk installable
and is manual password protected.   The game will also multitask.

I should note that I won this game on CIS when I attended the
conference by White Wolf Productions.  It has not tainted my view, but 
I do think that the reader should know how I ended up with the game.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Game Installation / Set Up
--------------------------
The game comes with a single disk, a users manual, and several nicely
colored maps.  The disk must be installed in order to play, as you
can't play the game from the master disk.  I think this is a good
method as it prevents the user from saying "Ahh.. what the heck, I'll
run off the master disk...", and end up destroying the disk.   You
never had that happen have you?? :-)

The machine I use as my acid test for programs is an Amiga 3000 with
6 megabytes of RAM.  I do not use the plain old topaz fonts that
Commodore sets the machine up with.  I use several proportional
fonts, and they tend to cause cosmetic problems with most installation
programs, and games in general.  Not so for The Perfect General.  I ran
the installation program, and it worked like a champ first time.  It
asked me where I wanted the program to install (instead of just assuming
DH0:) and when I told it the name of the directory it came back and
said "It does not exist, do you wish me to create it?"  This pleased
me no end.  I get real tired of some installation programs requiring
you to create a directory first.  The installation program asks you
whether you want to have the music and animation turned on, and a few
other questions.  All and all a nice clean installation program.  It
was written in SAS/C.  How can I tell?  They didn't change the default
icon that SAS/C creates for an executable.  It worked like a champ.

Let me pause here and give my feelings about installation programs.
I wish that all installation programs were AmigaDOS scripts
instead of stand-alone C programs.  Why?  Because I want to know what
they are about to do to my system.  I take for my example the recent
release of Silent Service II (by the way... GREAT PROGRAM), it assumes
that I want to install the program on DH0:.  I could not change it,
and fortunately I could assign DH0: to where I wanted.  Amiga 3000s do
not have a DH0: partition!  Further, if I had one, I would object to a
program trying to put itself there as usually that is where Workbench
would reside.  I don't need to tell you that the manual did not tell
the purchaser a thing about the assign command.  The novice user would
not have a clue how to fix it.  Anyway, I was very pleased that the
Perfect General gave me an opportunity to decide where I wanted to put
the game.  The installation program worked right first time, though I
will ping them a bit for writing a C program to install it.  :-)

What is the Perfect General?
----------------------------
Folks, this is a strategy game, not a tactical game.  The game designers
make it clear that it is a strategy game.  It can not be compared to
Empire in any way, except it carries the same addiction that Empire
does!

What is the Perfect General?  It is a game based on turns where your
strategy skills are evaluated.   You can play the attacker or the
defender or for the most accurate rating you can play both in a
match.  You have a given set of turns for each scenario to complete
the objective.  The object is simple, control as many cities as you
can.  At the end of each turn your victory points are accumulated
and presented to you.  At the end of the assigned number of turns,
you are given the opportunity to continue playing the scenario
without additional scoring, or play the role of defender (if you
are the one attacking), or play the role of the attacker (if you
are the defender) or, finally, evaluate your performance.

A game turn is composed of various phases.  Unit purchase and placement,
Mobile Artillery Fire, Indirect Fire, Artillery Plot, Direct Fire,
Movement, Direct Fire and Scoring.  I am taking the following directly
from the manual as it best represents each phase.

Turn Sequence
-------------
A game lasts a fixed number of turns, which varies by scenario.  Each
turn consists of a sequence of phases.  There are two parts to each
phase.  The first is for the attacker forces and the second for the
defender forces.

The phase sequence is as follows:

- Unit purchase and placement.  At the beginning of the game, a commander
will build a combat force.  In some scenarios, additional Buy Points may
be available in later turns to purchase reinforcements.

- Mobile Artillery Plot.  Orders for indirect fire for mobile artillery
will be given now.  The units will execute these orders in the next
phase.

- Indirect Fire.  All pending orders for indirect fire will be executed.
Stationary and mobile artillery will now fire.  The commander will have
given the orders for stationary artillery in the previous turn.

- Artillery Plot.  The commander will order the plotting of indirect fire
for stationary artillery units (Light Artillery and Heavy Artillery).
These orders will execute during the indirect fire phase of the NEXT
turn.

- Direct Fire.  Orders for direct fire may be given.  Shots will fire
when the order is given.  The targeted unit may have the option to shoot
back (return fire).

- Movement.  Units may move to new locations.  It is possible for an
opposing unit to fire at the moving unit (passing fire).

- Direct Fire.  Units not having fired this turn may receive direct fire
orders.  As in the direct fire phase, shots are fired when the orders
are given.  The targeted unit also may return fire.

- Scoring.  Victory Points are accumulated.  A commander also may earn
Reinforcement Buy Points.

Game Play
---------
The game starts with its theme music, and much like the Amiga version
of Empire the music... well, it is less than exciting.  However, the
true wargamer won't much care since you can get by this noise pretty
quickly.  In fact, the installation program gives you the opportunity
to turn it off--I recommend that you do so.

A menu is presented when the program is started.  It contains the
following:  Help, About the Perfect General, New Game - One Computer,
Play by Modem, Reload Saved Game, Study Battle Record, Change hardware
configuration and quit.

Online help is available everywhere in this program.  With the help
being available everywhere it makes it much easier to get around in
this program.  The help is short and to the point.  My hat is off to
White Wolf Productions for including this excellent online help area
in the game.

'About the Perfect General' gives you the name of the programmers and
people that were behind the project.  It is worth looking at just to
see all the credits the wolf gets.  A wolf in sheep clothing indeed!

'Play by Modem' is the option I am looking forward to checking out.
According to the manual you can play via null modem or by a modem.
I am fascinated by this game possibility, I may post a mini-review
just on this later when I get a chance to try it.

The 'Change Hardware configuration' gives you the ability to change
some of the things you set up when you installed the program.  This
is where you can turn off the music at the beginning if you wish!

'Study Battle Record' will let you view your statistics by scenario.
This display gives a large amount of information on the hit/miss
ratio as well as who you were successful with as both an attacker
and as a defender.

'New Game - One Computer' is probably going to the option that you will
use first.  The tutorial in the manual starts you there.  After selecting
this option you will be presented with the scenario screens.  There are
a total of 14 scenarios that come with the game, and more in development!
From the scenario screen you can explore the available scenarios and
select one to play.  I have played First Battle and a Simple Little
War.  While you are in the scenario selection screen you should read
the long description and take a good look at the map.

The scenario screen gives you an opportunity to set the scenario
rules.  These rules include whether you are to act as the attacker
or defender, whether hits are considered partial kills or full
kills, whether your shots always hit or randomly miss, whether your
enemy is in full view or Line of Sight (LOS).  Many other options
are available here as well.

To start the game, select 'Play This Scenario'.  Once you select
this you are presented with another menu.  This menu allows you
to choose the type of opponent you will play against, or whether
you want to watch the computer play itself.  You can have a human
opponent or the computer.  If you select the computer as your
opponent you can select the skill level in which the computer
will play.  So far, the level 1 setting has defeated me consistently!
Once you select the play level of your opponent you will be presented
with the Buy Screen.

The Buy Screen works on the principal of Buy Points.  Each scenario
comes with 'x' amount of Buy Points.  You use these Buy Points to
purchase any of the following items:

(Taken from the manual)

Armored Car:

Having a movement range of 9 per turn (over clear terrain), the
Armored Car is the fastest moving piece.  It is also the easiest
of the armored unit types to kill, and the least strong offensively.
This unit is great on breakthroughs to get behind enemy lines to
artillery or his reinforcement points.  Due to its fast movement, it
is a valuable unit for transporting infantry pieces.

Light Tank:

The Light Tank is a fast armored unit, with the movement range of 6.
It is relatively weak on defense and offense, but if close enough can
damage any opposing unit.  It is useful, inexpensive all-purpose unit.
It is also quite good for monuments in front of public buildings when
the war is over.  [By the way, I really enjoyed the humor in the
manual!]

Medium Tank:

This unit has a movement range of 5 and has more offensive and defensive
power than the Light Tank.  It is the best all-purpose unit you have
available.  Don't be afraid to use it.  Many players have won games when
they used a considerable force of medium tanks.

Heavy Tank:

Moving 4 hexes per turn, this is the slowest but most powerful of armored
units.  It is also expensive!  You must be careful how you use this piece in
the full kill mode of combat.  If a light tank can get within a range or
two to this unit, it can destroy the heavy tank.  If used properly, these
heavies can win many games for you.  Also remember, an indirect artillery
shot does not discern between an infantry and a heavy tank.

Mobile Artillery:

Like the heavy tanks, this unit has a movement range of 4 and is very
expensive.  The Mobile Artillery can fire like regular artillery, but
is less accurate and has a limited indirect firing range.  When this
unit plots indirect fire, it will fire the very next phase.  If you
choose not to take indirect fire, it may take Direct Fire in later
phases like any other armored piece.  In this mode of firing (direct)
it can fire with the effectiveness of a heavy tank.  Defensively, it
is as vulnerable as a light tank.  This is an expensive but valuable
unit, it has turned the tide of many battles.

Infantry:

Having a movement range of 1, this unit is not very mobile by itself.
An armored piece can transport an infantry unit.  This unit can damage
armored units only at a range of one.  It is inexpensive to buy and
easy to kill.  It can be useful for scouting, revealing ambush, and
occupying towns to earn victory points.

Engineer:

This unit type has the attributes of the infantry units, except cost.
It also has the important ability to build or remove mines.  It also
can build a bridge over a river or destroy an existing bridge.  The
Engineer can be a very valuable piece if used effectively.

Bazookas:

The same as the infantry units in movement and defensive capabilities,
the Bazooka has the offensive fire-power of a Light Tank.  It is
great for inexpensive defense against armor.

Light Artillery:

Artillery Units cannot move by themselves.  An armored piece must
transport the artillery unit to move it.  Defensively, it is more
vulnerable than even an infantry unit.  Offensively, the Light Artillery
can be a powerful weapon.  This unit can execute indirect fire or
direct fire within a turn.

When firing indirect, the player plots the shot one turn, but must
wait until the next turn for the shot to fire.  You also specify
whether the plotted show will be with BARRAGE or not.  Barrage shots
will affect the location hit by artillery shots for the entire turn,
blocking movement.  Shots fired without barrage will hit and do their
damage.  They will not have any lingering effects, other than the damage
they cause to the terrain.  Artillery shots may drift up to a two
locations from their target and will destroy anything they hit directly.
They also may damage or kill anything adjoining the strike location.

Heavy Artillery:

This unit has the same attributes as the Light Artillery, but is
significantly more powerful (and more expensive).  Its range is more
than twice the range of the Light Artillery.  When fired with
BARRAGE, the shot affects the strike location and the surrounding
six adjacent locations.  This effect exists for the remainder of the
turn.  This can cause your opponent considerable consternation!

Mines:

A player can initially purchase mines and place them at the beginning
of the game.  Engineers also can build them during game play.  Mines
may not be placed or built on bridges or in towns.  Engineers or a
direct hit from an artillery shot will destroy a mine.  The mine will
destroy any unit that moves onto the location containing it.  A mine
has an effective charge lasting two detonations.  So another way to
destroy a mine is to move any two units onto the mine.  The mine will
destroy the units, but also will burn itself out in the process.  This
may not be the most efficient approach, but it does work.  Mines
are always visible.

After selecting the military items you must place each on the map.
Depending on the scenario you will be forced to a specific area of
the map to start.  Pointing and clicking with the mouse is all there
is to placing your military items on the map.

The Actual Turn
---------------
Once you place your pieces on the map, your opponent will be given
the same opportunity.  If you have Line of Sight turned off you will
be able to see all of your enemy units.  If not, only the ones that
can be seen by your individual units will be displayed.

You play each phase and then your opponent plays the face.  At
the end you are given a score.  This score is based on the number
of cities that you are occupying at the end of the turn.

The game play is smooth and quite enjoyable.  I especially enjoy
plotting and firing the artillery!  It is great fun to watch and
listen to the effect of barrage fire on the enemy!

The user interface is nice and quite peppy on my A3000.  It doesn't
use Intuition style menus.  When questioned about this by users,
White Wolf explained that Intuition does not support double-buffered
animation techniques that were used in this game.  The menus do
feel nice and work well.

Conclusion
----------
I have spent already far to many hours playing this game, I suspect
that Empire will finally get a rest.  I strongly recommend this game
to anyone who enjoys solid strategy and enjoys watching the fruits
of their labor on the screen.

Rating:
-------
(Rating is based on a scale of 1% to 100%, with 100% being the best)

Graphics:      85% (The graphics are good, but is would be nice
                    if the program allowed close ups on the map,
                    or maybe a 3D perspective view.  The view that
                    the game presents is the traditional, though
                    better detailed than most, hex based map games).
Sound:         78% (Would have been 88% but I penalized 10% for the
                    horrible music score)
Installation:  95% (Would have been 100% if install was not written in C)
Playability:   95% (5% penalty for slow scrolling maps)
Longevity:    100% (This game will addict you for a long time!)

Overall:       90% - A must buy!
---
+------------------------------------------------------+              /////
| Mark D. Manes                                        |            /////
| email:  [email-masked]                           |          /////
| "Ohh say can you C!"                                 |   \\\\\/////
+------------------------------------------------------+     \\\\//  Amiga!