Subject: REVIEW: QuickPak A4000T computer system
From: [email-masked] (Rick VanGessel)
Date: 17 Sep 1998 11:24:15 -0400
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.reviews

PRODUCT NAME

	QuickPak A4000T

BRIEF DESCRIPTION

	Amiga 4000 full sized tower system.

AUTHOR/COMPANY INFORMATION

	Name:	QuickPak Corp.
	Address:	1000 Forge Ave., Norristown, PA.  19403

	Telephone:	unknown
	FAX:			(610) 287-0746

	E-mail:			[email-masked]
	World Wide Web:	http://www.quikpak.com

LIST PRICE

	A4000T with 68040 CPU - $1997.00 USD
	A4000T with 68060 CPU - $2697.00 USD

REVIEW

This model of the Amiga computer is a 100% compatible Amiga computer.  The
model I got came with a 68040 CPU which I swapped out for a Cyberstorm PPC/
68060 CPU card containing 128MB ram.  AmigaOS 3.1 is included with the
A4000T.  The A4000T comes with IDE and SCSI-II controllers built in.  There
is an active terminator inside which is toggled off and on via a dip switch
on the back.  There are other DIP switches present to adjust other SCSI
functions.  There is also space for 6 internal devices,	five of which have
external access.  A DD floppy drive comes standard as well as 6 MB of ram (2
MB chip, 4MB fast).  There are five Zorro III slots, two	video slots,
and three PC slots.  The PC slots are still electronically isolated from the
CPU and require a bridgeboard.  They and the video slots are inline with the
Zorro III slots.  Two fans keep this unit cool inside.  There is an internal
speaker, keylock, and a hardwired reset button.

The device bays are deep enough to accept all models of CD-Rom drives and
other storage devices unlike the A4000D which would not accept many standard
CD-Rom drives.

There is no external floppy drive port.  The case is mostly metal with a
sturdy plastic face plate.  The power supply is powerful enough to handle a
lot of add ons to the tower.  The manufacturer even told me that I could
power my monitor from the included monitor outlet on the back of the
computer.

DOCUMENTATION

The included documentation is thorough and easy to follow.

LIKES

Lots of room for expansion inside.

DISLIKES AND SUGGESTIONS

The rear access ports for the Zorro cards are just a little bit off, but not
bad.  The intake fan becomes noisy at times, but a blast of compressed air to
blow out the dust usually fixes it.  The included floppy cable in my
computer had some bare wires on it.  Also, there was no IDE cable included
with my computer, only the floppy and SCSI cable.

VENDOR SUPPORT

Very difficult to contact.  Even though the manufacturer replaced my floppy
cable, they have never answered my questions concerning the SCSI II
controller and whether it suffers the DMA problem that other scsi.devices do.

WARRANTY

The retailer I purchased the A4000T from does not provide a warrenty.
QuickPak supplies a one year warrenty.

CONCLUSIONS

I am very happy with the QuickPak A4000T.  I was initially going to convert
my A4000 desktop to a tower, but this turned out to be a much better
alternative.

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

Copyright 1998  Richard A. VanGessel, Jr.

---

   Accepted and posted by Daniel Barrett, comp.sys.amiga.reviews moderator
   Send reviews to:	[email-masked]
   Request information:	[email-masked]
   Moderator mail:	[email-masked]
   Anonymous ftp site:  math.uh.edu, in /pub/Amiga/comp.sys.amiga.reviews
   Web site:		http://math.uh.edu/~barrett/reviews.html