Subject: REVIEW: Retina BLT Z3 graphics card
From: [email-masked] (Michael Schuldman)
Date: 17 May 1994 17:19:18 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.reviews

PRODUCT NAME	

	Retina BLT Z3, Hardware v1.0, Software 2.1.

BRIEF DESCRIPTION

	24-bit, Zorro III graphics card.

AUTHOR/COMPANY INFORMATION

	Name:		MacroSystem Computer GmbhH.
	Address:	Fruedruch-Ebert-Str 85
			58454 Witten
			[Germany, I assume]

LIST PRICE

	I have no idea.  I paid 4800SEK (Swedish krones, check current value
rates as US$ changes quite often) + Postage & Packing.

	Bought from DELIKATESS-DATA AB, tlf +46-31-300 580, FAX:  +46-31-302
983.  They provided me (and others) with truly excellent and fast service
and are highly recommended.

SPECIAL HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE REQUIREMENTS

	HARDWARE

		An Amiga with a Zorro III slot (i.e., A3000 or A4000).

		At least 1 MB Chip RAM and 2 MB Fast RAM.recommended.
		4 MB Fast RAM would be better.

		Hard drive recommended (for large images).

		The manual states, "A cheap VGA monitor is recommended, while
		Retina can only be brought to its limits by using an
		enhanced monitor, such as the NEC 5 FG or similar."

	SOFTWARE

		AmigaDOS 2.0 (from Kickstart V37.175, WB 37.67, onward).
		The manual states "please do not use unofficial beta
		versions".

COPY PROTECTION

	None.

MACHINE USED FOR TESTING

	Amiga 3000/25, 4MB Fast RAM, 2MB Chip RAM
	Softkicked Kickstart 40.62, Workbench 40.29.

INSTALLATION

	The software uses the Commodore Installer program.  Everything went
smoothly.

	The card is approximately 3/4 length and installs in a Zorro slot
with a little trouble (but no more than other cards).  Why do they always say
"use light pressure"?  So they won't have to replace the card if it breaks
after I almost had to hammer it into the slot? "You didn't use light
pressure now, did you?"

	I had of course read the manual before doing anything.  The card
arrived the day before an exam, so I just browsed through the manual during a
study break and felt well prepared.  I had configured the "RetinaEmu"
program (which is SUPPOSED to take care of stuff) so it would output to the
Retina card instead of the Amiga, as it said in the manual.

	So, happily I switched on my Amiga.  It took some seconds before
Kickstart was loaded, etc.  I didn't see anything on the screen (my monitor
told me Retina wasn't sending any understandable signal), but I was not
worried.  Anyway, Kickstart had loaded and I was eagerly waiting for my
8-bit Workbench to turn up.  At this point my monitor told me Retina was
sending 31.5 KHz and 59.5Hz, the mode I had used until I got the Retina.  I
waited and waited, but nothing happened, so I rebooted.  and thought I'd try
again.  Same thing.  So, I switched of the machine and let Kickstart load
again.  Same thing.

	I was now getting a little worried.  (Defective card?  No.)  So I
actually started to read the manual (like I'm some kind a lamer :-)), but
I couldn't find anything useful.

	So I switched the monitor cable back to the Amiga output and
rebooted.  There!  Now I knew what was wrong:  my Kickstart was not yet
supported.  It was released by Commodore to developers almost a year ago,
and it says "08/16/93" while the Retina software is at most a month old
judging from the date on some files.  So, I pressed the gadget which says
"OK" below the "Kickstart not supported" crap, with the effect that after
some seconds the screen went black.

	Hmm..., I said to myself.  I found out that the genius people at
macroSystem (not) had found it smart to let that message pop up BEFORE
switching the display to Retina (clever, very clever).  Thus, the requestor
was logically being displayed but the screen was blank.  Now, since it is a
little difficult to see this button and click on it without a display
(remember, we only switch the display after clicking "ok") to look at, and me
now having 1 monitor, and not wanting to fry it by changing the plug from
Amiga to Retina with the power on, there was a problem.

	Luckily, just some days ago I had read in some old documentation
that I can press Right-Amiga V to cancel (or was it retry? :-)) a
requester.  That actually worked, so after some more fiddling with monitor
cables and a shower later, I could actually watch my first output from the
Retina.  Stunning (not).

	I am not exactly sure what it means that "RetinaEmu" doesn't support
my Kickstart "yet" (its been a year since it was sent out, about time or ?).
Perhaps it means that I can only use a certain number of colors (since WB
does turn up)?  No, not exactly.  It seems it means that the Workbench
windows will only be displayed in ECS number of colors.  I tried it out and
switched to 2 colors (in Amiga prefs) which made the windows use only 2
colors, but the icon were still using more colors (i.e., an 8-color icon
looked just fine on the 2 color Workbench), so I am not sure what it
means....

	Well, now I started to configure for my monitor.  The documentation
says it defaults to VGA output.  There were many monitors, but no MAG17, so I
deleted all of those useless monitors and created my own entry for my MAG.
After this was done I started up "define monitor", which lets you define
various resolutions for the monitor (when creating the MAG entry you can
only type the supported Horizontal KHz frequency and the Vertical Hz screen
update rate).

	This program was actually OK (not like the crappy others) and lets
you optimize for your monitor pretty well (has a test picture even,
stunning!).  After having created some suitable X x Y resolutions for 8, 16
and 24 bit (which you have to append to a temporary file) I had to use
another program to "append" my new resolutions to Retina's own private
gfx.base thing.  This does not always (often) work, having created a nice
1024 x 768 in 83Hz entry, this did not show up anywhere, so I am as of now
limited to 76Hz (Which I defined previously).  The program tries to
calculate for instance what the KHz frequency will be if you update Hz from
70 to 80.  In my opinion, the only decent program here.

REVIEW

	Having played a little with the tools which came with the Retina,
which all have "liesmiech" files, (since I don't know German, it doesn't
enlighten me), I thought I'd get down to business.  So, I loaded
"RetinaDisplay" which brought up an appicon (drop image files onto it, and
they will be displayed) and a requester where I couldn't select more than one
file at a time.  I opted for using it from CLI (which I do anyway).  It shows
some options when you type "?" for the filename.  Apparently, these options
are explained somewhere else (where?).

	Now I was ready for business.  I changed directory (using Eivind
Nordseth's excellent "qcd" program -- get it from Aminet now!  Yes, Eivind
paid me to say this... not!) and tried to display some image files.  I
aliased "rd" to "RetinaDisplay", typed "rd erika#?", and got a stupid error
message.  Apparently the program does not even support wildcards.  So, I
typed "rd `dir erika#?`", using the backquotes and "dir" to expand
wildcards.  This of course worked, kind of.  RD decided to switch from the
1024 x 768 I was using to 800 x 600 which made my monitor produce a rather
loud "ZonKKkk".  Anyway, I didn't care for that, Erika was on my screen, then
some seconds passed and another erika picture was on my screen, and so on....

	This program is so cool, it does NOT allow scrolling, does NOT wait
for me to say "next picture" or anything.  It just displays the pictures as
fast as it can (some pics take 10 seconds, and others 1 second, so I never
see the 10 second picture if there is a 1 second picture following directly
afterwards).  Also I cannot make rd display the pictures in any particular
resolution: it just seems to send a certain KHz and Hz to my monitor and
hopes it goes well.  Luckily, the monitor supports most resolutions, but it's
annoying that rd wants to switch resolution all the time ("ZonKKkkK
ZonKKkkK").  The manual says I should define this (in another program), which
I have tried with no luck (rd seem particular intent on displaying them in
800 x 600 (SVGA) 60 Hz).  I do not manage to define a 24bit screenmode in
more than 800 x 600 non-interlaced (haven't managed so far at least, perhaps
all this is explained in the "liesmiech" file).  Update: I have not managed
it, but it is only temporarily, I can select a 24-bit mode in "Retina
screenmode" which Retina display will then use, as will any other 24 bit
program do.

	The "RetinaEmu" is supposed to include all screen names in a
'display.base' and let me select individual resolutions for them, but that
never seems to work. Only way I manage to get the resolution I want is by
selecting "use" in the Retina screenmode program after selecting the
resolution.  For example, DiskMaster is patched for an 8 bit screen, so I
select the wanted 8 bit resolution in "RetinaScreenmode" and click "use",
which DiskMaster (and other programs I do not want to run in this
resolution) then will use.

	The software is not good.  It's supposed to patch programs when they
open a screen and I guess it does, but unless you like DiskMaster in 1024 x
768 using 1/6 of available space and the rest of the screen unusable, it
doesn't work right.  Programs which let you select the displaymode without
considering what the chipset supports work fine sometimes; on the other hand,
programs too stupid to imagine someone would like to scroll the screen, or
even use a graphics card, do not work, and you end up with a quarter of the
screen or something. and rest of the screen is just blank.

SPEED

	Well, I don't notice any big speed increase compared to what I was
runing before the Retina (1440 x 478 , 60 Hz, 4 colors), using the standard
ECS.  Perhaps this is because Workbench emulation is "not supported yet" on
my Kickstart.

	Also, the memory clock program isn't working 100% (unless there's
some hidden information in the "liesmiech" file).  It's supposed to be
automatically set and saved on first boot with Retina.  For me, it was set
to 65 MHz, which was too fast (ugly stripes on screen), so I am now using 61,
but the program (which lets you click a button to determine maximum) has
given me results ranging from 58 to 64.  This is a little disappointing.  The
manual says you should use chips faster or equal to 70NS.  Apparently
MacroSystems have sent the board with 70NS, while it it seems the board
could benefit from somewhat faster chips (I'll bet they're not even static
column :-)).

TESTS

AIBBLogFile

*****************************************************************************
 System Static Data
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

System CPU: 68030     System FPU: 68882   System MMU: 68030 =20
CPU Clock Rate: 25.0 MHz      FPU Clock Rate: 25.0 MHz
Operating System Version: 40.62 ( 3.x )

Retina Z3

===========================
System Memory Information =
===========================
NODE #1
Node Name: expansion memory   Node Size: 3.50 MBytes   Bus Port Size: 32 Bit
        Address Range: $07C00000--$07F80000  Node Priority: 30
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
NODE #2
Node Name: chip memory   Node Size: 2.00 MBytes   Bus Port Size: 32 Bit
        Address Range: $00000400--$00200000  Node Priority: -10
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

*****************************************************************************

Test Name: LineTest
Parameters: Not applicable to this test.
Multitasking: DISABLED
Test Code Location: Memory Node #1   Test Data Location: Memory Node #1
Test Result: 4805.37 Lines/Second (Higher =3D Better Performance)

==========================
=== Comparison Ratings ===
==========================

This Machine : 5.94
A600-NF      : 0.93  (68000 | SC Math)
A1200-NF     : 1.60  (68020 | SC Math)
A3000-25     : 1.00  (68020 | CP Math)  Base System
A4000-40     : 1.74  (68020 | 40 Math)

============================
= Test Information Section =
============================

Test Name: BeachBall
Parameters: 68020+ based standard code | Coprocessor floating point code
Multitasking: DISABLED
Test Code Location: Memory Node #1   Test Data Location: Memory Node #1
Test Result: 14.64 Seconds (Lower =3D Better Performance)

==========================
=== Comparison Ratings ===
==========================

This Machine : 1.07
A600-NF      : 0.02  (68000 | SC Math)
A1200-NF     : 0.05  (68020 | SC Math)
A3000-25     : 1.00  (68020 | CP Math)  Base System
A4000-40     : 3.92  (68020 | 40 Math)

*****************************************************************************

Test Name: TGTest
Parameters: 68020+ based standard code
Multitasking: DISABLED
Test Code Location: Memory Node #1   Test Data Location: Memory Node #1
Test Result: 0.00 Characters/Second Output (Higher =3D Better Peformance)

==========================
=== Comparison Ratings ===
==========================

This Machine : 2.19
A600-NF      : 0.52  (68000 | SC Math)
A1200-NF     : 1.10  (68020 | SC Math)
A3000-25     : 1.00  (68020 | CP Math)  Base System
A4000-40     : 1.97  (68020 | 40 Math)

============================
= Test Information Section =
============================

Test Name: EllipseTest
Parameters: Not applicable to this test.
Multitasking: DISABLED
Test Code Location: Memory Node #1   Test Data Location: Memory Node #1
Test Result: 6.12 Seconds (Lower =3D Better Performance)

==========================
=== Comparison Ratings ===
==========================

This Machine : 2.18
A600-NF      : 0.43  (68000 | SC Math)
A1200-NF     : 1.02  (68020 | SC Math)
A3000-25     : 1.00  (68020 | CP Math)  Base System
A4000-40     : 2.34  (68020 | 40 Math)

------------------ Screen mode information for this test -------------------
Mode Name: NTSC:High Res       Mode ID: $00019000
Mode Width: 640      Mode Height: 200     Mode Depth: 3 =3D (8 Colors)
Pixel Speed: 70 ns   X-Ticks: 22         Y-Ticks: 52

*****************************************************************************

Well, it's obviously faster than a stock A3000 in all tests, and on
some tests (line test) a lot faster than an A4000/40.

WSpeed =B5 1994 JAMI Soft Development

Comment: Retina Z3  Kickstart 40.62 WB 40.29	Picasso II (from WSpeed)
Screenmode: NTSC:High Res, 16 Colors		Same machine but 8MB fast
----------------------------------------	and higher WB version

Put Pixels        111779				66321
Draw Lines        27642					2050
Draw Circles      30584					379
Draw Boxes        27984					1250
Scroll X          1817					59
Scroll Y          1805					210
Print Texts       10070					4191
CON: Output       752					624
Open Windows      132					54
Size Windows      206					68
Move Windows      96					32
Swap Screens      281					55
Areafill          1149					97
----------------------------------------

	No question here.  But apparently the Picasso II uses a chunky mode
in 8 bits, and is faster there than it is in 4 bits.  Couldn't select more
colors for my test in WSpeed -- guess it goes by the Workbench Prefs, which
also won't allow me more colors, probably because Retinaemu is not working on
my Kickstart.  WSpeed uses random routines, and I don't know how accurate
they are.

	Also, WSpeed does NOT disable multitasking and I have some
commodities runing.  I also had some artware patches installed (speeds up
most things) I now remember, so the results might be a little wrong.  If
anyone wants, I can post a full module to c.s.a.graphics.

"EXTRA" SOFTWARE

	AnCos (animation software), VDPaint (paint program which sucks in my
opinion, but only tried it for 30 seconds), Real3D "something", ADPro Saver,
Imagemaster rt "something".  Almost all the readme's are "liesmich" and I
haven't got a clue as to what it means.  The manual for VDPaint is also in
German, as is the registration card (going to make some random guesses when I
fill it out).

	Well, the tests are up there.  To sum it up, the only thing I can say
is that the software totally sucks, is unpractical, and stupidly made (need
I say "kickstart not supported..._yet" ? :-)).  Knowledge of German is
definitely a help when using the software.

BUGS

	The software generally speaking is buggy: more logical bugs than
programming bugs, it seems.

Oh, almost forgot, you're going to love this...

WB_2.x:> retinaavail

Available    In-Use   Maximum
  2010944   2183360   4194304

    From        To   ( Length)
  2010944 - 2014591  (   3648)
  2014592 - 2018239  (   3648)
  2018240 - 2192255  ( 174016)   SysScreen:   'RetinaEmu'
  2192256 - 2195903  (   3648)
  2195904 - 2199551  (   3648)
  2199552 - 2373567  ( 174016)   SysScreen:   'RetinaEmu'
  2373568 - 2374015  (    448)

[ deleted for space ]

  2451520 - 2451903  (    384)
  2451904 - 2605503  ( 153600)   SysScreen:   'RetinaEmu'
  2605504 - 2619839  (  14336)
  2619840 - 3406271  ( 786432)   SysScreen:   'RetinaEmu'
  3406272 - 3407295  (   1024)   Sprite
  3407296 - 4193727  ( 786432)   SysScreen:   'RetinaEmu'
  4193728 - 4194047  (    320)
  4194048 - 4194303  (    256)

Wondering what all the "RetinaEmu's" are ?  Well, the first two are for
DiskMaster (identical), third is WSpeed, fourth is an editor, fifth is
"RetinaEmu", always runing.  Really, whoever programmed this should have his
braindamage fixed (those with 1MB Retina can probably not even start a
single program besides "RetinaEmu").

	Also, often the mouse pointer refuses to move below or above an
invisible magic line. I must click on the screen before it moves there. This
happens almost all the time.

	There are also occasionally some corrupted graphics appearing in a
corner for a tenth of a second before disappearing.  Perhaps I should even
further lower the RAM clock.

	The RetinaDisplay program does not handle many types of JPEG (just
says "depth is 0") which other programs (FastJPEG, PPSHOW, ViewTek) have no
problems with.  And when it can't handle a picture, it just displays a
requester on the Workbench (doesn't bring it to front) so only way you know
if something is wrong is when you have tired of waiting for the picture to
load and flip screens.

	PowerSnap by Nico Francois for some reason stopped working with the
Retina -- no snapping whatsoever.

	And there are other bugs "everywhere", most of these can of course be
caused by the Workbench emulation not working on my kickstart yet, and from
what the bugs do, that actually seems quite possible, but there's just so
many of them...

	All this is a real shame, especially since the original Retina was
one of the first released graphics boards and they should have had plenty of
time to get things straight (at least more than it is).  Generally, the
software is something I would never use unless I had to.

	I also tryed Michael Van Elst's Mpeg_player (supports Retina and
some other cards as well).  I think it was written for Retina Z2, but it
works fine on Z3 and gives a decent speed (uh..well, guess that's as good as
it gets unless I plug in a 68040/060) and very nice graphics.  The speed when
dithering for Retina is about a frame faster than for A3000.

DOCUMENTATION

	Comes with 2 printed manuals, one for Retina (English) and 1 for
VDPaint (which the Retina manual advertises as something you would have to
pay $500 if bought separately). The VDPaint manual is in German so I didn't
read it.

	The Retina manual about forty 3/4-size A4 pages.  (Low quality, just
a leaflet really.)  It explains most, but is very "basic" I feel.  It has a
section "for advanced users" which is about as advanced as "how to use
c:avail."  Also the manual does not list any concrete specifications apart
from that the pixel frequency is 110MHz (which the manual compares to the
7MHz Amiga pixel frequency :-)), that the maximum Vertical Hz is 89 and the
maximum resolution is 2400 x 1200, which is just mentioned on a "general"
page.

LIKES

	Tough one. :-) Well the hardware seems great and that is I believe
the most important.  Hardware can't be fixed (apart from sending it to
Germany and getting it upgraded), but software can be fixed, and I hope it
will.

DISLIKES

	The software is in my opinion very bad.  Some things work sometimes,
other times not.  The software is what I would call a first beta release.  I
mean, having 700K's "RetinaEmu" for each program? That's braindead.

	Another irritating thing is that there are lots of "liesmiech"
files, even a rather big manual on disk, but they're almost all in German.  I
don't really know what they are thinking when they make a "readme" which says
"this directory contains this and that" and then all the readme's for the
utility is in German.

	And it doesn't patch the display until the very end of
startup-sequence, when WorkBench loads, which makes it impossible to see any
guru messages.  This also makes it hard for me to use certain programs which
I run from special startups to save memory.

WORKAROUNDS

	None I know of, and currently I have no time to find out either.

VENDOR SUPPORT

	Haven't had any reason to contact them.  I guess I could call them
and express my views on the software, but they probably speak only German.

	Also, some of the programs (RetinaEmu amongs others) are included
with source code and documentation in a "developer" directory.  This is
nice.  The manual says they are in assembler language (only translated to C
now and then), but I could only find C source.  The manual boasts that it is
all programmed in assembler.  Too bad the Retina people really can't program
assembler.

WARRANTY

	Actually, I can't find any mention about it in the manual.
Strange...

CONCLUSIONS

	Software sucks, cool hardware, all in all I don't regret buying it,
even if it might have sounded so. :-)  If you can live with these "glitches"
while waiting for updates, buy it, and as said, the "developer" directory is
nice, and this is judging by benchmarks the fastest card for the Amiga.

	It is also very fast to use generally when the programs work right.
Nice.

	Now, where can I find a non-beta Kickstart for A3000?  Guess that
would be, uh...2.1, damn.  :-(

 // ---                        Michael Shuldman                      --- \\
//      University of Oslo, Faculty of Mathematical and Natural Sciences  \\
\\ !=3D       "Yes, I do in fact speak for this University, all of it."     =
//
 \\ ---                 C= Amiga   -   Best there is.                --- =
//

---

   Daniel Barrett, Moderator, comp.sys.amiga.reviews
   Send reviews to:	[email-masked]
   Request information:	[email-masked]
   Moderator mail:	[email-masked]
   Anonymous ftp site:  math.uh.edu, in /pub/Amiga/comp.sys.amiga.reviews