Subject: REVIEW: Rush, release 2
From: [email-masked] (James "Flam" Johnson)
Date: 23 May 1994 03:42:37 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.reviews

PRODUCT NAME

	Rush, release 2, version 37.5370

BRIEF DESCRIPTION

	Rush is a shareware directory utility.  A demo version is available
on the Aminet ftp sites in /pub/aminet/util/dir/RushDem2.lha.

AUTHOR/COMPANY INFORMATION

	Name:		Douglas Keller
	Address:	3A Hudson Harbour Drive
			Poughkeepsie, NY  12601
			USA

	E-mail:		[email-masked]

LIST PRICE

	Shareware:  $25.00 (US) for the registered version.  Upgrade from
Directory Opus is $15.00 (US) if you send in the first page from a Directory
Opus manual.

	There are two differences between the demo and registered versions.
In the demo, the gadget assignments cannot be saved (although the
preferences can be edited tediously by hand), and a naggy little requester
pops up (forcing Rush to the front of the display) every now and then.

	The copyrighted demo version can be distributed like any shareware
product.  The registered version cannot be distributed (obviously).

SPECIAL HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE REQUIREMENTS

	HARDWARE

		None.

	SOFTWARE

		Requires AmigaDOS 2.0 or higher.

COPY PROTECTION

	None.  Installs on a hard disk.

OVERVIEW

	Rush is a directory utility along the lines of Directory Opus and
the MANY other PD and commercial directory utilities.  It has a friendly and
very configurable user interface with two directory list windows separated by
a row of command buttons. The interface is configurable as to its screen mode
(including all 2.04 and 3.0 modes), fonts (both for the list windows and
buttons), and colors (up to 256 with AmigaDOS 3.0+).  The buttons can be
configured to do any command imaginable, including commands loaded from disk
(such as AmigaDOS commands, Viewtek, ZGIF, etc.), ARexx commands,
assignments to devices, or a host of standard internal commands (such as
Copy).  Rush handles archives in a unique way and can be configured to
recognize any archive type.  Similarly, files types can be recognized (e.g.,
JPEG graphics files), and double-clicking on a file can be configured to
execute the appropriate command associated with the file (e.g., FastJPEG for
viewing JPEG images:  "c:FastJPEG %s".).  It is pleasantly simple to 'teach'
Rush to recognize file types via a sample of that file type.  These features
are packed into a program that when run takes up less than 180K of your vital
memory.

SPECIAL FEATURES

	AmigaGuide support:
		Rush has good documentation in AmigaGuide format that can be
		run from the program.  Hold the mouse over a portion of the
		screen and press the HELP key, and documentation on that
		portion will be displayed (nifty).

	Archive Handling:
		As mentioned, Rush uniquely handles archives and can
		recognize ANY format.  The commands for adding to, listing,
		and extracting can be configured for each archive type.  A
		double-click can also cause any of these commands to be
		executed.

	Mouse clicks:
		The right and left (and center) mouse buttons can be
		configured to execute ANY internal command.  I have
		configured my right button to execute the 'Parent' command.

	Sort Lists:
		The ListViews (scrolling lists) can be each configured to
		sort their contents several different ways:  by name, date,
		size, forward (alphabetically), backward, directories first,
		directories last, etc.

	Wildcards:
		The program supports wildcards throughout.  For example,
		you could select all the #?.mod files in a directory
		easily by entering the wildcard, and clicking "All".

	Keystrokes:
		All button commands can be (but don't HAVE to be) duplicated
		with keystrokes.

	There are several other good and unique features.  Download the
demo, and see for yourself.

LIKES

	I have used many many many many directory utilities, including
Directory Opus, Directory Master, MTool, Directory Works, and so on.  I have
always wanted a POWERFUL, configurable program that didn't take up half a
megabyte of memory.  I have finally found this in Rush.  After messing with
it for a week, I registered right away.

	Rush runs fully bug free for me so far, and it is supported by a good
programmer who wrote the first version over three years ago and promises
updates (via e-mail even).  Although Rush isn't the most configurable
directory utility I have ever seen, it skips all the really useless stuff
and has ALL the options I have ever wanted.  Other directory utilities have
either left out at least one IMPORTANT option, or have been so big and
kludgy that they aren't worth it.  Finally, a program that really strikes
the balance.

	SPEED... Rush is quick.  It beats both Directory Opus and Directory
Master 2 in reads, copies, and deletes, hands down, and Douglas promises to
speed it up even more with caching in the future.  Plus it is thoroughly
tested with the developer debugging tools Mungwall and Enforcer.  (There are
no Enforcer hits.)

	I have been able to configure Rush to do several complex tasks such
as play MPEGS, offering me a choice between greyscale and HAM8 modes on the
fly, and simple things like uuencode/uudecode files.

	The demo version isn't horribly crippled, so I was able to enjoy the
program before I bought it.  This is wise in my opinion, since I will just
toss a demo that is severely crippled or bothers me with 5 minute lockups or
windows that never go away. :)

DISLIKES AND SUGGESTIONS

	1. Not font sensitive (yet).
	2. Doesn't treat archives like directories (yet).
	3. Menus aren't configurable (yet).

These all are promised for future releases.

COMPARISON TO OTHER SIMILAR PRODUCTS

	See the "LIKES" section, above.

BUGS

	None found so far.

CONCLUSIONS

	Good work Mr. Keller!

	Download the Rush2 demo, and give it a try.

- James Johnson  ('Flam')
  [email-masked]
  (feel free to write :)

---

   Daniel Barrett, Moderator, comp.sys.amiga.reviews
   Send reviews to:	[email-masked]
   Request information:	[email-masked]
   Moderator mail:	[email-masked]
   Anonymous ftp site:  math.uh.edu, in /pub/Amiga/comp.sys.amiga.reviews