Subject: MINI: Scrabble brand Crossword Game
From: [email-masked] (Malcolm "Mao Xiansheng - Mr. Hair" Pon)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.reviews

--text follows this line--
Game Title:		Scrabble brand Crossword Game
Publisher:		Leisure Games (Virgin)
Retail Cost:		~$30.00
My Cost:		 $15.00
My Source:		Software Etc., Bargain Shelf
Game Type:		Word Game
Number of Players:	2-4
Number of Possible 
Computer Players:	1-3
Simultaneous Play?	Y

Required/
Possible Controllers:	Mouse & Keyboard (Required)

Number of Floppies:	1
Hard Disk Installable? 	N
Are Floppies in DOS1.3?	Y
Game DOS2.x compatible?	Don't Know
Protection Scheme:	None.
Floppy Switching 
Required?		N

Memory Required:		512K
Computer Used for Review:	A500, 3Mb, Bodega Bay, GVP SeriesII HC+RAM
				52/2, Supra2400 Modem, Star SG-10 Printer

Multitasking?		N

[This is a nice review format.  Note that Mr. Pon came up with this
himself; it is not a requirement that all sibmissions be in this format
(though it wouldn't hurt). - JLT3]

Description:
	
	This is a computerized version of the ever-popular board game,
Scrabble, where one uses random tiles to make words for points on a
board with bonus spaces.
	To begin with, I should mention that this game has been ported
to/from IBM, Atari ST, C64, Macintosh, Apple IIe/IIc, and Amiga formats.
I don't know which one it originated on, but I've played it on the IBM,
and I liked their format a little better.
	The UI (User Interface) is a little clumsier than it has to be.
Amiga should more easily support the format they use for the IBM (which
is entirely mouse controlled), but the Amiga version uses the mouse for
some parts, and the keyboard for others.  When requesters pop up, you
HAVE to use the mouse to answer questions which could easily use
one-stroke keyboard answers as well.  According to the screen, it looks
like it would be possible to click and drag the tiles from the rack to
the board, but this is not possible; you have to use the keyboard.
Surprisingly, on the IBM version, you can actually click and drag
tiles!  I don't yet know if it's easier in the long run to use the
interface the programmers left us on the Amiga.  In any case, if you
read the manual before you play, or as you play, the system is easy to
understand and remember.
	Graphics are fair, and it's almost flattering to see the word
"Amiga" printed on the tile racks.
	Game play, in contrast to the IBM (I played the IBM version on a
VGA 386SX machine owned by a friend of mine), is quicker.  The computer
opponents think more quickly than they do on the IBM version, which is
satisfying, and watching them think is interesting, at least initially.
	All in all, this is a pretty good game.  I was unable to crash
it, but I wasn't trying REALLY hard.  I'm not unhappy about paying the
price I did for it, but I think the retail price is a bit steep.

Standard Disclaimer:

	I, Malcolm Pon, am not part of any publishing group.  I post
these reviews for information, only, and though I try to be as accurate
as possible, I deny any responsibility for any inconvenience or damage
my errors might lead you to.  
	Also, I am not interested in receiving any flames regarding
these posts.  If you don't like them, avoid them.
	I will try to post these reviews within a week from when I
purchase or receive software.  If I make any inaccuracies, I will do my
best to correct them in further posts.
-- 
Malcolm K. Pon			   "How many Elephants is that?"
Internet: [email-masked]	 	- Anneliese F. Hopwood
GEnie:    ETERNITY		      
"Only AMIGA makes it happen."  "Makes WHAT happen?"
					 
Undergraduate - George Mason University, Fairfax, Virginia
		Department of Chemistry