Subject: REVIEW: Tom Landry Strategy Football
From: [email-masked] (Michael Mantino)
Date: 18 Dec 1992 05:04:14 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.reviews

PRODUCT NAME

	Tom Landry Strategy Football (V1.21)

BRIEF DESCRIPTION

	TLSF is a dual/single player strategy football simulation from a
	coaching perspective. Modem-capable. Hard-drive installable.
	Multi-tasking. System 2.1 compatible.

AUTHOR/COMPANY INFORMATION

	Name:		Merit Software
	Address:	13635 Gamma Road
			Dallas, TX  75244-4407

	Telephone:	(214) 385-2353
	Tech Support:	(800) 238-4277

	E-mail:		76711,247			(Compuserve)
			[email-masked]	(Internet)

	OnLine Support:	CompuServe SIG (GO GAMPUB, Section 16)

LIST PRICE

	$49.95 (US).  I paid $39.95 retail at my local Amiga dealer.

SPECIAL HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE REQUIREMENTS

	HARDWARE

		Requires 1MB RAM.
		Reportedly works on Amiga 500, 1000, 2000, 3000.
		Hard drive not required, but recommended, and requires
		 2.2MB of free drive space (minimum).

	SOFTWARE

		Requires Kickstart 1.3 or higher.

MAIN AMIGA MACHINES USED FOR TESTING

	Amiga 2000                |     Amiga 3000
	1MB Chip - 8MB Fast       |     2MB Chip - 4MB Fast
	Commodore 2090A SCSI      |     Built-In SCSI
	Maxtor LXT-213S HD        |     HP 97536S HD
	Sony CPD-1302 MultiScan   |     Sampo 19" TriSync
	ZyXEL U-1496E V.32b Modem |     SupraFAX V.32b Modem
	Kickstart V37.175 (2.0)   |     Kickstart V37.175 (2.0)
	Workbench V38.35 (2.1)    |     Workbench V38.35 (2.1)
	==========================+===========================
	Amiga 500                 |     Amiga 500
	1MB Chip - 1MB Fast       |     1MB Chip - 2MB Fast
	No Hard Drive             |     GVP 120 HD
	Commodore 1080 Monitor    |     Commodore 1084S Monitor
	Supra 2400 Modem          |     Hayes 9600 Modem
	Kickstart 1.3             |     Kickstart V37.175 (2.0)
	Workbench 1.3             |     Workbench V37.67 (2.04)

COPY PROTECTION

	Off-disk protection.

	Requires you to enter a 3-character password corresponding to one of
twelve offensive play diagrams in the manual.  I'd rate the protection scheme
as 'acceptable'.  For easier reference, I drew all the diagrams in Deluxe
Paint and printed them out on one page, which took little effort.

	TLSF can be run from a hard drive and includes Commodores Installer
program to ease the pain of installation. No 'key' disks are required for
either user-validation nor data-saves.

DOCUMENTATION

	40 page printed manual. No on-disk 'read.me' files.  Comprehensive
built-in context-sensitive 'HELP' facility during games.

	The documentation is incorrect and incomplete in many areas. It says
there are three disks, when there are only two. It says there is an animated
intro to the program, when there is not. The modem options need to be
explained in more detail:  certainly as much as most of the other options
are, and with more troubleshooting assistance.  Music is not played at all
menus and submenus as the documentation suggests.

GAMEPLAY
--------

        MAIN:

	After a digitized welcome from Coach Tom Landry, up pops the TLSF
	main menu. All menus in the game are consistently good-looking with
	3-D shadowed boxes and buttons and an eye-pleasing color scheme. The
	main menu's buttons are:

	[RULES]	- Choose either playoffs or regular season rules,
	          the difference being how overtime is handled.
	[LEVEL] - Choose either head coach or assistant coach, the
	          difference being that the head coach has the 
	          entire playbook available and the assistant 
	          coach has limited play-calling ability.
	[TEAMS] - Select home team and visitors from a list of
	          28 teams (non-NFL, but similar)
	[PLAYER] - Designate each team as a computer or a human
	           player. Play HUMAN-HUMAN, HUMAN-COMPUTER, or
	           COMPUTER-COMPUTER.
	[LEAGUE] - Select a league from a list of one! Since there
	           is room for 28 leagues here I'd assume things.
	[PREFS] - Checkmark the preferences you wish to use, like:
	          Sound Effects (crowd, referee, players)
	          Digitized Pics (referee penalty screens)
	          Animation (actual graphic representation of plays)
	          Computer Calls (computer opponents plays displayed)
	          Homefield Advantage (hometeam has an edge)
	          Fatigue (has effect)
	          Injuries (are possible)
	          Modern Timing (handles how clock is operated)
	[MODEM] - Set baud rate (1200-57,600), name, phone number,
	          dial string, answer string, null modem, hang up,
	          load/save/delete numbers.
	[SCOUTING] - Shows offense and defense reports of any team
	             and grades players in stats like QB leadership,
	             QB defense reading, quickness, fumble %, speed,
	             strength, hands, QB passing abilities, defense
	             ratings against the runs and passes and the
	             line's overall abilities. You can also check the
	             offenses tendencies to run/pass on certain downs
	             and at certain distances. These reports can be
	             dumped to a disk file as well.
	[SEASON] - Check the current seasons stats and records, or
	           clear the season.
	[SCENARIO] - An editor to allow you to practice a particular
	             game situation (two-min offense, etc.), relive
	             a great football play, or play an incomplete
	             or short game. You can set the scores, time,
	             quarter, down, yards to go, possession, direction,
	             wind speed and direction, precipitation, and
	             ball position.

	In addition to the options available only at the main menu,
	there is a menu strip at the bottom of the screen which is
	there throughout the game:

	[QUIT] - Quit current game or entire program.
	[LOAD] - Load a game.
	[SAVE] - Save a game.
	[PREFS] - Change preferences, even in mid-game.
	[HELP] - Brings up either the help topics screen or help
	         with the screen you are currently in.
	[STATS] - Game stats so far (team, offense, or defense).
	[REPLAY] - Replay the last play using VCR-type controls.
	[CHAT] - Brings up chat window if playing via modem.
	[GO!] - 'Goes' to whatever you have chosen, depending on
	        the screen you're on and options picked.

        OFFENSE

	Once options and teams are chosen at the main menu, the coin toss is
	made and teams choose to kick/receive and defend a goal. Weather
	(wind and precipitation) is displayed, and the kickoff and return
	are accomplished. The kicking team chooses Onside, Squib, or Deep
	kick. The defense chooses the same for the return, plus options for
	kicks in the endzone (Don't Return Any, Return Only Shallow, Return
	All).  If animation is turned on, you see the kickoff occur and the
	return down field. You are then given the offense options screen.
	This screen comes up before every play so you can choose your
	offenses strategy. There are five buttons always available during
	gameplay (aside from the menu strip at the bottom of the screen):

	[WEATHER] - Find out the current weather conditions
	[CLOCK] - Pressing this button brings up the clock options
	          and info screen. Here you are given information
	          about the clock (like "The clock is paused but is
	          about to start"), as well as a number of buttons
	          which control the clock: Waste A Pass, No Huddle,
	          Let Clock Run, Call Time Out, Have Players Try To
	          Get Out Of Bounds, Bring Up This Screen When Clock
	          Is Running.
	[SCOUT] - Review the scouting report (see above).
	[SUBS] - Make player substitutions.
	[LANDRY] - Ask Coach Landry about the current game situation
	           and optionally suggest a play.

	The remainder of the offense options screen is divided into four
	areas:

	OFFENSIVE FORMATION - This area contains a diagram which changes to
	depict the options you choose. There are buttons to select the
	formation (Shotgun, ProSet, Pro I, Brown, Short Yardage, One Back,
	or Run and Shoot), the pass pattern (Flat, Flare, Delay, Circle,
	SideLine, Hook, Square Out, Come Back, Fly, Post, or Corner), and
	toggle switches for Hot Receiver and Motion.

	CATEGORY - You choose the general category of play here, like Middle
	Runs, Inside Runs, Outside Runs, Standard Passes, Finesse Passes,
	and Kicks. The diagram reflects changes made here.

	PLAY - This area changes depending on what CATEGORY is selected. If
	MIDDLE RUNS were selected, then this area shows your running options
	up the middle (Line Plunge, Middle Trap, Draw, or Drop To Knee). For
	INSIDE RUNS the options are Slant Left, Slant Right, Counter Left,
	or Counter Right. For the OUTSIDE RUNS the options are Sweep Left,
	Sweep Right, or Reverse. For STANDARD PASSES you can choose Short
	Pass, Medium Pass, Long Pass, and a toggle switch for Play Action.
	Your FINESSE PASSES options are Screen, HB Pass, Flea Flicker, and
	Hail Mary. For KICKS you can Punt, Kick Field Goal, and there's a
	toggle for Fake Kick.

	PLAYER - This area changes depending on what PLAY is selected and
	allows you to choose the primary reciever or ball carrier.  The
	diagram also reflects changes made in this area and the PLAY area.

	As you can see, there can be literally hundreds of combinations of
	actual plays.  For instance, you can choose a RUN AND SHOOT
	formation with PLAY ACTION to the halfback (who then becomes a HOT
	route receiver) with your left flanker in MOTION and your right
	flanker on a LONG PASS play in a POST pattern as your primary
	receiver. Or you can simply send your fullback up the MIDDLE for a
	LINE PLUNGE in a PRO I formation.  Lots of choices, all diagrammed
	nicely as you change them and all easily selectable.

        DEFENSE

	Once the offense is selected, the defense options screen appears.
	This screen is similarly laid out, but has three areas instead of
	four.

	DEFENSIVE ALIGNMENT - The diagram is shown here as well, but it also
	displays the offensive formation (ONLY) chosen by the opponent. This
	area also allows choices for your FORMATION (Nickel, 4-3, 3-4,
	Prevent, Short Yardage, or Goal Line), your SHIFT (Normal, Over, or
	Under), your COVERAGE (Man To Man, 2-Deep Zone, or 3-Deep Zone), and
	your BLITZ options (None, Out, In, or All Linebackers).

	FOCUS - You can focus your defense on the PASS or the RUN.  The
	options for RUN are Normal Keys, Key On Flow, or Key On Man. The
	option for PASS is Double Team.

	PLAYER - If you choose Key On Man or Double Team, this area is where
	you choose the opponents player you wish to key on.

        HELP

	The 24 HELP topics are always available and include information on
	Tom Landry, Credits, Football, Scenarios, Scouting, Subs, Managing
	The Clock, Special Teams, Glossary, Running The Ball, Stopping The
	Run, Passing, Stopping The Pass, Offensive Players, Defensive
	Players, Offensive Formations, Defensive Formations, Blitzing,
	Stopping The Blitz, Pass Patterns, Pass Coverages, User Preferences,
	Overtime, Telecommunications, and After The Game.

        OTHER

	As you would expect, when the offense and defense have chosen their
	plays, the animation of the play is shown. If a penalty occurs (and
	apparently TLSF includes all NFL penalties) a digitized referee gives
	the details; and if there are options, the appropriate team makes the
	choice to accept or decline.  The scoreboard is almost always
	visible during the game and includes everything you'd expect to find
	or wish to be there.  On kicks, the average yardage or FG % is
	displayed, and the defense has options for Normal Rush, Heavy Rush,
	or Watch For Fake. When the game has ended, the final game stats are
	displayed with options to view and save them for either team.  You
	can then view or save the scoring drives in the game, and finally,
	update the season stats to include this game.

LIKES AND DISLIKES

	LIKES

	How often does one run into a game that is hard drive installable,
	multi-tasking, compatible with the newest system software, capable
	of being launched from Workbench, and able to return you to Workbench
	when done?  I couldn't make it choke by vigorously using PowerSnap,
	Mouse Blankers, Screen Blankers, Nag-type Utilities, or any of my
	standard run-from-workbench-game killers.

	I thoroughly enjoy not only having hundreds of plays to choose from,
	but also the way in which the user interface presents those choices
	for selection. Being able to select this many individual player
	options within this many formations allows a freedom of play
	customization I haven't experienced in any other football game. 

	The statistical detail is enough to make the average player happy
	(me), and apparently enough to make hardcore football fans (others I
	interviewed) content.

	While I hate to admit it, I end up using the 'Ask Landry' option
	quite a bit and learn a great deal about football strategy by doing
	so.

	Quarterbacks in TLSF are intelligent!  They look off heavily covered
	primary receivers and hit alternates, or even run the ball
	themselves at times.

	The 'HELP' facility actually helps, the scenario editor is fun and
	informative, the scouting reports are indispensable, and playing via
	modem is a blast (though only somewhat reliable - see DISLIKES,
	below).

	DISLIKES

	While there are several useful options for using the clock during a
	game, you do not see the change in time until a play is over, and it
	is difficult to understand exactly when time is ticking down.  A
	true real-time clock, always displayed, would bump this simulator up
	a whole bunch of notches.

	There is no way to automate the playing of a season. Every season
	game must be manually chosen and played, although if you turn off
	many of the preference settings (sound, pics, animation) and play
	COMPUTER-COMPUTER a game takes just a few minutes.

	There is no team, league, or player editor included.

	Is there ANY game out there with a reliable modem-playing feature?
	This one often dropped connection at baud rates greater than 2400,
	but choked a bit less at 2400. Most of the high speed (14.4Kbps)
	games I managed to complete were auto-stepped down to around 4800
	baud on the average. Luckily, players can save the game when a
	disconnection occurs and restart at that point when a connection is
	re-established.  My tests were performed over known 'clean' phone
	lines in several locations, both locally and long distance, and
	using AMIGA-IBM, AMIGA-AMIGA, and IBM-IBM machines with a variety of
	modems (Supra 14.4, Supra 24, ZyXEL 14.4, Intel 96, Intel 14.4, and
	Hayes 96). I did not test a local null-modem setup.

	Though I'm sure it's possible for it to snow in Houston, it is most
	likely a rarity.  In TLSF, it seems to be one of the standard
	weather outlooks for this city (which has a domed stadium anyway).

	Hard to say if this is a bug, but it's at the very least
	frustrating....  When you are in a situation like a 2 minute offense
	and you instruct the team to get out of bounds, if possible, I'd
	like to assume that a player wouldn't go out of bounds when they
	have a clear shot to the end zone and the nearest defender is 20
	yards behind them. Unfortunately, they follow your orders all too
	well.

	The animated depiction of the plays does not always display real
	situations, however true to the statistical data they may be.  For
	instance, you might see a quarterback simply fall down (and the play
	called dead) while he is waiting for a long-pass receiver to become
	open.  

	While the animated depiction of the actual plays are about as good
	as any I've seen in a strategy-type game (some have none at all),
	they are mostly not Amiga-level stuff. At the very least the
	animation choreography should be smoothed out.

	When you save STATS, DRIVES, SEASON RECORDS, or other files from
	within the program you must manually rename them on your disk or
	hard drive if you want to save another set of files from a different
	game or season. The program saves these stat and record files using
	the same filename every time, overwriting the previous stats.

	While playing, the program is continuously saving to disk a variety
	of statistics. If you have no hard drive it is likely that your Disk
	#2 will become full during long games.

NEEDED/WANTED

o	Ability to change between HUMAN-HUMAN, HUMAN-COMPUTER, and
	COMPUTER-COMPUTER in the middle of a game.

o	Ability to call audible plays once you see how the opposition has
	lined up.

o	Built-in stat printing facility.

o	Addition of a Season Schedule Generator, League Editor, Player
	Editor, and Draft mechanism.

o	Real NFL teams, players, and coaches...or just the editors listed
	above so that we motivated Amigans can create them ourselves.

o	Improved blitzing option to allow choosing individuals, and possibly
	a defensive stunt option.

o	Improved special teams options to include choices in the direction
	of a kick, punt, or onside.

BUGS

	The truth of the matter is that I only found one true 'bug' in the
program, and it isn't even consistent and reproducible...once in a while
when I choose an 'odd' offensive play (like Shotgun Formation, Reverse to the
Tight End) the offensive player with the ball cannot be tackled. A pile of
defensive players eventually stop his forward progress and try to beat him
into the ground, but the best they can do is hold him in place until the
program somehow times-out the play. Happened three times in twenty or so
games.

	This next tiny bug really has no bearing on a game at all.  If the
opposing team blocks a point-after-touchdown kick, they tend to want to
recover the ball and run the other way!  Fortunately, the game simply rules
it a failed PAT attempt.

VENDOR SUPPORT

	The vendor support on CompuServe seemed responsive and adequate,
though the SIG was dominated by the MSDOS TLSF owners (a few IBM version
files/bug-fixes were in the download area as well).

	I spoke (voice) with the Merit Software techno-support guy and found
him pleasant enough to deal with and straightforward.  He was aware of most
of the problems I mentioned, but seemed surprised about the modem-play
glitches I encountered. There is no bug-fix update currently available for
the Amiga (the latest version is 1.2).  He said they are 'talking' about an
upgrade which fixes some problems and might include such things as Roster
Editing, Season Editing, Playbook Editing, and more leagues.

CONCLUSIONS

	Tom Landry Strategy Football has the look and feel of a program
written on and for an accelerated Amiga, but brought down a notch or two in
certain aspects in order to accommodate other Amigas or (more likely) other
platforms. It's hard not to thoroughly enjoy what's there and yet I have
this sensation that large chunks have been summarily axed. Sort of like a
Maserati with its tach, speedometer, and stereo ripped out.  You'd love
driving it, you'd love driving it fast, and you'd be frustrated not knowing
-just- how fast you were going.

	Even with its flaws I'd thoroughly, sort of, maybe, recommend this
simulation. There is enough in-depth statistical support for football
fanatics to overlook what is lacking, the interface is sharp and friendly
enough for novices, and its Amiga system compatibility is totally refreshing.

	TLSF could be to Amiga football what Earl Weaver was to Amiga
baseball (in its time). This program has all the makings of a true classic,
but in its present state it is no more than a wonderful wannabe. I hope that
Merit Software recognizes this.

	Would -I- buy it again?  Yes.

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

	Copyright 1992 Michael Mantino.  All rights reserved.
	Freely distributable in its original form. <12/9/92>
	NetMail: [email-masked]

---

   Daniel Barrett, Moderator, comp.sys.amiga.reviews
   Send reviews to:	[email-masked]
   Request information:	[email-masked]
   General discussion:	[email-masked]