Subject: REVIEW: UnDelete 1.02
From: [email-masked] (Eyal Teler)
Date: 16 Aug 1994 23:25:39 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.reviews

PRODUCT NAME

	UnDelete v1.02

	[MODERATOR'S NOTE:  This review was updated on August 17, 1994.
	Search for the text "[UPDATE:" to find updated information.
	-Dan]

BRIEF DESCRIPTION

	A very fast undelete program for single files.

	[UPDATE:  The program is available on the Aminet ftp sites in
	the file /pub/aminet/disk/salv/UnDelete.lzh.]

AUTHOR/COMPANY INFORMATION

	Name:		ASWare
	Address:	t.a.v. Ekke Verheul
			Postbus 2521
			3000 CM  Rotterdam
			The Netherlands

LIST PRICE

	Public domain.

SPECIAL HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE REQUIREMENTS

	None that I know of.  It was developed on an AmigaDOS 2.04 machine
and works fine on my AmigaDOS 1.3 A500.

COPY PROTECTION

	None.

MACHINE USED FOR TESTING

	Amiga 500, 2MB Fast RAM, 1MB Chip RAM
	A590 with 100MB Fujitsu SCSI hard drive
	Kickstart 1.2, Workbench 1.3, ARP

INSTALLATION

	The archive contains an Installer script.  However, I did the simple
thing and just copied the command to C: (which is what the Installer does).

REVIEW

	Undelete is a small (15K) CLI program that lets you undo the effects
of a Delete command.  If you've deleted the file 'myfile', just enter
'undelete myfile', and it will reappear.  You can also undelete empty
directories this way.

	I was quite amazed by the speed of this program.  Undeleting is
almost as fast as deleting.  This easily makes this program an invaluable
tool for recovering files you deleted by mistake.  It's miles better than
using a disk recovery tool which scans the disk for deleted files.

	Note that you can't undelete files in RAM:, which is quite logical.
Also, don't try to undelete a file you didn't delete.  UnDelete apparently
tries to scan the disk.  Still, it's always possible to stop it with Ctrl-C.

DOCUMENTATION

	It explains how to use the command and gives a list of error
messages with their meaning.  I didn't need more than this.

LIKES

	I love the speed and simplicity.

DISLIKES AND SUGGESTIONS

	I don't like what the program does when you undelete a file
you didn't delete.  I'd prefer a simple message that no such file was
deleted.

	[MODERATOR'S NOTE:  I suspect this is not possible to do.  If the
	program does not scan the whole disk, how can it be 100% sure that
	the file was not deleted?  Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
	- Dan]

COMPARISON TO OTHER SIMILAR PRODUCTS

	There are several programs which can undelete files, but they
usually work by scanning the disk, which takes a lot of time.  This is the
first program I've seen which can simply undelete a file.

BUGS

	You can't undelete a file in a partition with an odd number of
sectors.  It's a problem shared by other disk utilities (such as FixDisk),
and is apparently caused by a wrong calculation of the root block (if I
remember the net discussion correctly).

VENDOR SUPPORT

	I haven't contacted the author.  No e-mail address, sadly.

WARRANTY

	Hey, it's a PD program.

CONCLUSIONS

	This is a must have.  I won't give UnDelete full marks simply
because it has a bug which prevents me from using it on 2 of my 3
partitions.

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

	Copyright 1994 Eyal Teler.  All rights reversed (hey, that's
what happens after writing a reverse compiler).

---

   Daniel Barrett, Moderator, comp.sys.amiga.reviews
   Send reviews to:	[email-masked]
   Request information:	[email-masked]
   Moderator mail:	[email-masked]
   Anonymous ftp site:  math.uh.edu, in /pub/Amiga/comp.sys.amiga.reviews