Subject: REVIEW: Cyberstorm PPC 604e+ accelerator
From: [email-masked] (Rick VanGessel)
Date: 17 Sep 1998 11:09:54 -0400
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.reviews

PRODUCT NAME

	Cyberstorm PPC 604e+ 200 Mhz w/ 68060 50 mhz

BRIEF DESCRIPTION

	Plug in accelerator for the Amiga computer which allows dual
     processing between the 060 and the PPC chip.  Also supplied is a UWSCSI
     controller.

AUTHOR/COMPANY INFORMATION

	Name:		Phase5 digital products
	Address:		In der Au 27
				61440 Oberursel, Germany

	Telephone:	+49 (0)6171/583787
	FAX:			+49 (0)6171/583789

	E-mail:			[email-masked]
	World Wide Web:	http://www.phase5.de

LIST PRICE

	Without companion 680x0 CPU      - $869.95 (USD - excl. VAT)
	With companion 68040 50 mhz CPU - $949.95 (USD - excl. VAT)

DEMO VERSION

	None

SPECIAL HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE REQUIREMENTS

	HARDWARE

		An Amiga 3000(T) or 4000(T) computer.  The Amiga 3000(T) will need to have
          a hardware modification performed.

		SIMM Ram should be identically paired SIMMs (ideally from the same maker as
well)

	SOFTWARE
	
	Requires the 68060 and PowerPC libraries from Phase5.  Also, Phase5
	releases flash rom upgrades for the SCSI controller.  Alternatively,
	you can use the WarpOS from Haage&Partner.

COPY PROTECTION

	None

MACHINE USED FOR TESTING

	A4000 w/12 MB 60 ns Ram on motherboard
     CSPPC 604e+ 200mhz w/ 060 50 mhz
         128 MB Ram on CSPPC card
     CV64 w/ Cybergfx 3
     MFC III card
     Delfina Lite
     Video Magician card

INSTALLATION

The installation was fairly straight forward.  Phase5 includes two plastic
stands to replace the stands that are in certain Amiga models.  These are
slightly shorter than the ones they replace and help level the PPC
accelerator.  I simply had to remove the current accelerator.  Since my
CSPPC accel. came with an 060 chip, I did not have to remove the CPU from y
old accelerator.  I then replaced the plastic stands and fit the new
accelerator.

The installation of the SIMM Ram was a little trickier.  The ram modules that
came with my CSPPC card (supplied by the dealer that I bought the card from)
was double sided.  These were a very very tight fit.  But, they do fit.  Try
to get single sided SIMMs if possible.

The software the was included with the CSPPC came on two floppies and one CD-Rom.
 Most of this software was very buggy and most of it did not work.  You
definitely want to get the updated software (060.lib and ppc.libs) >from he
Phase5 site before you install this card.  The versions supplied on the
install disks very bugged.

REVIEW

Well.  After the installation was finished I powered up my A4000T and nothing
happened!  The HD LED came on and stayed on.  The machine just sat there.  I
hit the resest button and everything then booted up as normal.  The machine
recognized all 128 MB of Ram without any problem.  The 060 is a pretty quick
accelerator compared to what I am used to.  Like I said, I tried the
included software (the very few pieces) that came with the card and was very
disappointed.  Most of it did not work.

Since that time, a few more PPC programs have been released.  From what I
have seen, they run fast.  Since I have never seen a PPC based computer
before I have nothing to compare it too.  But, for example, when I used to
play MPGs on the 040, the music would pause anytime the system did anything
other than the MPG.  Using AmigaAMP (PPC version), I have full stereo sound
that is not interrupted by windows opening, disk activity, or other
commodities.

There is more PPC software released all the time for the Amiga.  Most of it
has been graphics
related which unfortunately does not really interest me since I can't draw.
 I would like to see more PPC based games.  Many have been promised, but few
have been released to my knowledge.  Usually my PPC chip just sits there
idle.

DOCUMENTATION

The documentation was easy to read.  The installation instructions were
fairly thorough and included pictures to help with the installation.  The
documentation comes in the form of a small book with German text first, then
followed by an English section.

LIKES

The PPC software that I have tried is fast.  The clips used to hold down the
SIMMs are made of metal and appear sturdy.  The 680x0 CPU is socketed so it
can be upgraded to a better one if needed.

DISLIKES AND SUGGESTIONS

Poor design and construction of certain parts of the card.  They need to
rethink the CPU fan/heatsink design.  Also, they did not put auto-scsi
termination on board the card.  Very very poor customer support.  Buggy
software.

COMPARISON TO OTHER SIMILAR PRODUCTS

There are no other PPC accelerators for the Amiga line of computers.

BUGS

Buggy software included.  Get the latest versions from the Phase5 software
site.

VENDOR SUPPORT

As usual, the tech support for this product sucks.  Phase5 gives their usual
poor customer service for this card as well as others.  This is the most
distressing part because this card is a major purchase for many users, and
at over $800.00, one would expect much better service.  I have had two
problems with the card since I have owned it.  The first is that the PPC CPU
fan became very loose from the heatsink.  After writing to Phase5 twice and
waiting about 3 weeks for a reply, they replied that I should use lock-tite
on the screws holding the fan to the heatsink.  They also said they would
send a replacement fan.  Ok, that was acceptable...but, there was nothing
for the screws to grab onto.  The heatsink fins became ground down with the
vibrations of the CPU fan and held the fan poorly.  Off to the hardware
store I went to buy fatter screws.  The fan stayed in place and was working
well.  Then one day I opened the case to install the active terminators to
the CSPPC card and was shocked because the PPC cpu fan had froze up.  I had
no idea how long the fan was like that.  Another couple emails off to
Phase5.  To this day I have still not seen my new heatsink and fan.  I even
emailed the companies president and after that was promised that they would
send the heatsink and fan.  Another long wait and still no parts.  The other
problem is that I can not cold boot my A4000T since installing this
controller.  I purchased two active terminators and put them on each end of
the UWSCSI chain as Phase5	suggested in the first email I got from them.
No change.  The machine still does not boot up.  According to Phase5, the
A4000T and the CSPPC use the same interrupt or something and the cold boot
problem is caused by this conflict..

WARRANTY

Well, my dealer did not warrant the card.  Instead I am expected to obtain
warranty support from Phase5.  Well, as you can see from the above, I can't
get any help from them.

I would have to say there is no warranty for this product.

CONCLUSIONS

Despite the troubles I have with the card, I like it.  I wish that there were
more applications available for the card.  The current fate of the PPC chip
in the Amiga line up is very questionable at this time due to Amiga, Inc.
decision to use a very different chip to base the Amiga line on.  Also, the
promised boom of PPC based games and applications has not yet happened.

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

This review is freely distributable.  

		Copyright 1998 Richard A. VanGessel, Jr.

---

   Accepted and posted by Daniel Barrett, comp.sys.amiga.reviews moderator
   Send reviews to:	[email-masked]
   Request information:	[email-masked]
   Moderator mail:	[email-masked]
   Anonymous ftp site:  math.uh.edu, in /pub/Amiga/comp.sys.amiga.reviews
   Web site:		http://math.uh.edu/~barrett/reviews.html