Subject: MINI-REVIEW: AD1012 12-bit direct-to-hard-disk audio board
From: [email-masked] (Brian T Cheek)
Date: 22 Dec 1992 19:56:29 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.reviews

PRODUCT NAME

	AD1012 12-bit direct-to-hard-disk audio board

BRIEF DESCRIPTION

	The AD1012 is a 12-bit sampler that provides direct-to-hard-disk
recording capability.

AUTHOR/COMPANY INFORMATION

	Name:		Sunrize Industries
	Address:	2959 S. Winchester Blvd., Suite 204
			Campbell, CA  95008
			USA

	Telephone:	(408) 374-4962
	FAX:		(408) 374-4963

LIST PRICE

	$595 (US).
	16-bit version (AD516) is $1595 (US).

MINI-REVIEW

	For convenience, I'll use the term "D2HD" to mean "Direct to Hard
Disk."  Also, please read up on D2HD terminology before trying to decipher my
mini-review.  This board is capable of producing 4 channels of audio
consisting of information recorded D2HD.  Its selling points would be for
anyone who wants to (but, of course, not limited to) do audio editing for
video, song mastering, remixing, etc.  It is unlike a sampler or sample
playback device:  you cannot pitch shift with it (for example, you can't
record a middle C on piano, then play back a scale.)

	The main competition is from the Macintosh (nothing else on the amiga
can do what this card can do).  The Mac program I'll compare it to is
Sound Tools, a 2nd or 3rd generation program which does the same thing.
Note that the AD1012 lists for $595, the AD516 for $1595, and the Mac
version that does the equivalent (hardware only, anyway) is around $6000.
Do you need 12 or 16 bit?  Ears, my friends, you must use your ears.

	The AD1012 sound is wonderful, and most people (myself included)
could easily confuse it for a 16 bit board.  It is a mono device with
sampling rates from 8,000 sps (samples per second) to 90,000 sps.  Because
of the design, it is ideal to pick one rate and stick with it.  I picked
44,646 sps (@CD rate).  Storing samples takes lots of hard drive space.  It
takes 5 megabytes per sample minute per channel at CD-rate.  (For all you
with your calculators, the discrepancy comes from the fact it stores samples
in 16 bit format to be completely compatible with the 16 bit card, which I
think they may have a trade in policy for).  So if you're doing 4 tracks on
the AD1012, that's 20 meg/minute.  I'd recommend a minimum of 200 megs
devoted to this card, and devote the entire partition too, because
fragmentation can lead to jumps and skips on playback.

	BTW, the AD516 supports 8 tracks and is in stereo.  No single card
for any computer can do that.  (That's why the Mac equivalent is $6000, you
need multiple cards).  At CD-Rate, this translates into 40 megabytes/sample
minute.  You may need (and it supports) multiple SCSI chains (not drives) to
accommodate.  BTW (and I'm not sure if this is possible) if the program
supports multiple 516's, that means 16 track D2HD production.  Yes, you will
put professional studios out of business.

	The interface is clean, intuitive, and easy to use.  It supports
drag-and-drop for operations like cue-list making, and in 640x400, you can
see (assuming your monitor won't make you go blind) all you need to see.
The interface is a little unlike Amiga standard, but that seems to be a
benefit (It looks pro).

	Operation is simple and straightforward, and once you learn it
(excellent manual).  It is as easy to drop new samples in as it is to use a
tape deck.  When you have a list of samples, you make a SMPTE triggered
cue-list.  This plays your samples in any order you choose, according to
incoming SMPTE (it has it's own SMPTE in port, as well as it's own audio
in/out).

	Editing is sparse.  Current software (and to fix the problem would
only require software) only includes cut & paste, echo, FFT, normalize,
reverse, invert (phase shift? I'm not sure).  This is rudimentary, and the
board is well suited only if your source material is processed in the way
you want the output to sound.  The mac software is miles ahead.  (with
things like real-time EQ, reverb, non-real-time; compression, expansion).
Both Amiga and Mac's software are natural feeling, no kludges, and don't
crash (Studio 16 is up to at least 2.0).

	Oh yeah, how's this for multi-tasking...  While playing a sample
back, I went to Workbench, booted Deluxe Paint IV, loaded a 640x400 16 color
anim, played it, quit and returned.  The audio file never hiccuped.  It
played flawlessly straight through.  This is VERY important for
videographers, as your machine can run video stuff at the same time.  This
is also a tribute to the Sunrize programmers.  Good Job.  (I doubt
multifinder will allow this...).  This test occurred on a 2000 with a 68030
accelerator.

	This board was used in a 60 minute self-help production (talking with
music under it).  The project went without a hitch, and proved a success for
the board.  The client felt comfortable saying "Oh, move that line back
before this time."  With tape, you'd be getting out the razor blades now.

	This program also works with Bars&Pipes Professional.  From B&P, you
can trigger samples, and even open the edit screens from B&P.  Nice.  (And
with B&P2.0's virtual screen, drool!)

	One note about the sound.  When you listen REALLY closely, there is
a noise floor.  The board isn't totally noise free (but then neither is my
professional sampler, which costs a lot more!)

	This board works fine now, and also has great potential.  If they add
more editing tools, I will buy the 16 bit card, (if I can afford the
hard-drive to accompany).  This requires user feedback...

Hope this info was of help.
-Brian :)

---

   Daniel Barrett, Moderator, comp.sys.amiga.reviews
   Send reviews to:	[email-masked]
   Request information:	[email-masked]
   General discussion:	[email-masked]