Subject: MINI-REVIEW: One Stop Music Shop
From: [email-masked] (Brian T Cheek)
Date: 22 Dec 1992 19:52:54 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.reviews

PRODUCT NAME

	One Stop Music Shop

BRIEF DESCRIPTION

	The One Stop Music Shop by Blue Ribbon Soundworks is an E-mu Proteus
on a Zorro II card.

	[MODERATOR'S NOTE:  The Proteus is a popular synthesizer and digital
	sample playback instrument made by E-Mu, Incorporated.  It is
	normally sold as a 19" rackmount unit which communicates by MIDI.
	- Dan]

AUTHOR/COMPANY INFORMATION

	Name:		Blue Ribbon Soundworks
	Address:	1293 Briardale Lane NE
			Atlanta, GA  30306
			USA

	Telephone:	(404) 377-1514
	E-mail:		[email-masked]

PRICE INFORMATION

	The price for One Stop Music Shop (The E-Mu Proteus on a card) is
$649 List.  I can't remember if that's US or Canadian.  I'd assume US.

	I've personally seen the Emu Proteus for $649 street price for one
of their models (I don't believe the External Proteus comes in a General MIDI
configuration, though.)

The models I've seen so far are the 1, 1+ 1/XR, 1+/XR, and another one
too.  (Some of them come with 8 megabytes of ROM rather than 4.)

MINI-REVIEW

	The One Stop Music Shop by Blue Ribbon Soundworks is an E-mu Proteus
on a card.  You cannot create or use your own samples with it.  It has 4
megabytes of ROM on board, and the sounds come from that.  It is 16 bit
stereo, with 32 voices.  There are no built in effects.

	I think it is 16-part multi-timbral, though when I used it with Bars
and Pipes Pro (version 1.0e), I only got channels 1-10 active (10 being the
General MIDI drum part).

	This is the easiest card to use.  You install it (Zorro II card) and
that's it.  To use it with Bars&Pipes Pro, you install a 10K tool, and done
deal.  You have your serial port free, since this comes with its own MIDI
port built in (In and Out), so theoretically, you can have triple play plus
(Blue Ribbons' 3 independently controlled outs on one MIDI interface), and
this board for 64 outgoing channels, and 16 internal ones for a total of
80!  You can mix and match ports in B&P Pro.  The design of the sequencer
makes this tremendously easy.

	It comes with software to edit the patches, and a way to play it
without using B&P Pro, but I didn't have a chance to use either.  The sound
is very clean (no hum like that produced from the Amiga outputs; this board
has its own outputs).  I did play General MIDI files through it, and they
basically worked.  All the patches were correct, but there were sonic
differences from the box I made the MIDI file with (Roland's CM-300).
That's fine since General MIDI specifies patches, not actual waveforms.

	FYI:  This card co-exists peacefully with the AD1012 card!  You can
run them both at the same time.  In fact, using Blue Ribbon's SyncPro (SMPTE
Generator), both the AD1012 and B&P Pro will lock to SMPTE, independently
(quite a pleasant surprise on the wonderful multi-tasking Amiga).  Note: you
can control the AD1012 from the B&P Pro screen if you want.

-Brian :)

---

   Daniel Barrett, Moderator, comp.sys.amiga.reviews
   Send reviews to:	[email-masked]
   Request information:	[email-masked]
   General discussion:	[email-masked]