Subject: MINI-REVIEW: Desktop speakers
From: [email-masked] (Julian Vrieslander)
Date: 19 Jul 1993 21:54:19 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.reviews

[MODERATOR'S NOTE:  This article was originally posted in
	comp.sys.amiga.multimedia and other computer newsgroups.
	Since the information is relevant to Amiga owners looking
	for good-quality desktop speakers, I have reposted it here
	with the author's permission.  Thanks, Julian!.  - Dan]

	I have been shopping for desktop stereo speakers.  These will be
used for monitoring the output from some Macintosh sound synthesis programs
that I'm developing, and also for playing tunes from the Mac's CD-ROM player
(or a separate WalkPerson).  I see that there are other netters considering
these products, so I thought I'd share the information I've found so far.

	Desktop speakers (also called "multimedia" speakers) have some
specific design requirements.  They should be magnetically shielded, if used
close to a video monitor. The acoustic response should be optimized for near
field listening.  Their footprint should be small enough to fit on a crowded
desk.  Many of these products are self-powered (they have built-in
amplifiers and require only a line level input signal).

	The August 1993 issue of Windows magazine has a comparative review
of 6 self-powered multimedia speakers, written by David Ranada, a staffer
from Stereo Review magazine.  He measured free standing and tabletop
frequency response, and also included his subjective ratings of sound
quality.  Here is a synopsis of the product descriptions, and a synopsis of
Ranada's ratings.  All the speakers have level controls.  Prices are list
for a stereo set.

Acoustic Research Powered Partner AV-622, $349
2 satellites plus separate subwoofer.  Bass and treble controls.  Best
overall sound quality (rating = A), good bass, plays loud and clean.

Altec Lansing ACS300, $400
2 satellites plus separate subwoofer. Bass and treble.  Adjustable DSP
phony stereo/spaciousness enhancement.  Disappointing sound quality
(rating = C).  Bass-heavy, congested.  Amp clipping?

Apple Appledesign Powered Speakers, $179
2 pieces.  Electronic equalization.  Neutral sounding at high and low
listening levels (rating = B).  Frequency response not as extended as
some other models, but rather flat.

Koss HD/6, $100
2 pieces.  Bass boost button.  Anemic bass, depressed midrange, harsh
when played loud (rating = C).

Labtec CS100, $150
Single enclosure for placement under monitor.  2 tweeters plus
downward-firing woofer.  Tone control.  Minimal stereo separation, not
much bass, mechanical resonances, easily overloaded (rating = C).

Roland MA-12C, $290
2 pieces.  Bass and treble.  Plays loud without strain, good bass and
high-frequency clarity (rating = B).

	So far, I have managed to obtain demos of the first three products on
this list.  But these demos were at computer megastores (Comp USA, etc.)
and some of the set-ups were less than ideal.  The speakers were far from
ear or desk-level, or the subwoofer buried inside a deep cabinet. To get
meaningful evaluations of these puppies, I'll have to find a dealer willing
to offer a home trial.

	With those caveats, I will say that my initial impression of the
Altecs was more favorable than Ranada's opinion.  Perhaps I played them at
lower levels.  The ARs sounded boomy at two different stores, but that might
have been due to the set-ups.  I heard one demo of the Apples that sounded
quite nice, and another demo where their lack of bass relative to the Altecs
was quite noticeable.  I also had a brief demo of the Sony SRS-88 ($155, 2
pieces). These sounded very open and smooth, but did not have the bass of
the Altecs and ARs.

Julian Vrieslander 
Neurobiology & Behavior, Mudd Hall, Cornell University, Ithaca NY 14853    
INTERNET: [email-masked]      BITNET: eacj@crnlthry

---

   Daniel Barrett, Moderator, comp.sys.amiga.reviews
   Send reviews to:	[email-masked]
   Request information:	[email-masked]
   Moderator mail:	[email-masked]
   Anonymous ftp site:  math.uh.edu, in /pub/Amiga/comp.sys.amiga.reviews