Subject: REVIEW: Infinitiv Tower for A1200
From: [email-masked] (Stephen Bridges)
Date: 10 Jun 1997 02:51:29 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.reviews

PRODUCT NAME

   Infinitiv (A1200) Tower [Z-1i rev5.42 Busboard]

BRIEF DESCRIPTION

   A kit that turns an A1200 into a "big box" Amiga, including;

   5 Zorro II slots (2 inline with 2 PC-AT slots, 2 inline with 2 PCI slots
                    and 1 inline with a video slot)
   2 3.5" bays      (both exit at the front)
   2 5.25" bays     (both exit at the front)
   200W PC Power supply
   PCMCIA slot right-angled adapter

COMPANY INFORMATION

	Name:		Micronik Computer Service
	Address:	BruckenstraBe 2
			D-51379 Levenkusen
			Germany

	Telephone:	+49 2171 7245 0
	FAX:		+49 2171 7245 90

	E-mail:		[email-masked]
	World Wide Web:	http://www.starbyte.de

LIST PRICE

   369.95UKP 
   
   29.95UKP / Extra 5.25" Bay

   Blittersoft
   6, Drakes Mews
   Crownhill Industry
   Milton Keynes
   Bucks
   MK8 0ER
   United Kingdom

SPECIAL HARDWARE REQUIREMENTS

   A1200 :-)
   A3000/AT102 (with adaptor) or Win95 Keyboard

MACHINE USED FOR TESTING

   A1200
   Blizzard 1230 (16MB SIMM)
   Blizzard SCSI (16MB SIMM)
   Picasso II+
   MultiFace III
   540 MB 3.5" IDE
   214 MB 3.5" IDE

INSTALLATION

   Where to begin? Well first; don't buy this product unless you are
   sure that you are up to gutting your A1200. I cannot emphasis this
   enough.

   I don't think this is the place to describe how to take your
   A1200 apart, so I'll start at the point where all you have left of
   your A1200 is the motherboard, floppy and hard drives.

   The kit is made entirely of a hardened plastic, which clips together
   with builtin clasps. The A1200 motherboard screws to a "sled" which
   slides into the back of the tower. The Zorro busboard is also on
   this "sled" and is attached to the motherboard at the CPU (trapdoor)
   connector, with a passthru for accelerators.

   There is an enclosed "box" on the "sled" and this has a ribbon
   coming out of it, this connects to the keyboard interface on the
   motherboard. On the outside of the "box" is a new/small PC keyboard
   connector, the type used for Win95 keyboards. Amiga specific keys
   are transposed on to the Win95 keys.

   Right, now is a good time to point out that at the moment the video
   slot doesn't work, as the lead that runs from the Zorro busboard to
   the motherboard isn't available yet. Also this sounds like a right
   kludge, as it attaches with "clips" to various pins on various chips
   on the motherboard, and some soldering is required I'm told.

   The installation went very well until time came for me to fit the
   accelerator, this is when I found that it was too tall to fit in
   the tower. It turned out that I needed an extra 5.25" bay, which
   snaps onto the top of the tower. This wasn't pointed out when I
   brought the kit, even tho' I told the salesperson that I had an
   accelerator. So beware.

   Also the accelerator needs to be fitted after the "sled" has been
   installed. This is a BIG job if you have a SIMM on the SCSI board
   as I have. The SIMM needs to be removed and the power supply needs
   to be moved while you install the accelerator/SCSI board. Then the
   SIMM can be reinstalled and the power supply moved back. To be fair
   if you only had an accelerator then it would be fairly easy.

   Right where does the SCSI socket exit? OK, you've guessed it, there
   isn't a hole for it. An extra thing is due anytime I'm told.
   This will enable me to put the side onto the tower, as this is the
   only way I can get the SCSI lead out of the tower at the moment.

   OK time for the drives. Ah! there aren't enough 3.5" bays (I've got
   3 drives). Time to find an adaptor

   If you have a 2.5" IDE drive it would be safe to just let it sit
   on the bottom of the tower as it is all plastic.

   If you have a 3.5" IDE drive, you will need a long (~40cm) 44 to 40 
   pin ribbon cable as it needs to loop around the Zorro boards, that's 
   if you want to install it in a 3.5" bay.

   And so on to the Zorro boards. Slot in the Picasso, and it doesn't
   fit, OK, try the Multiface, that doesn't fit either.
   
   ARGH!!!!! 

   What is wrong is that the cutouts at the back are not really wide
   enough for the boards. This means the sockets at the back of the
   boards pull them out of the Zorro slots. It's a bit hard to
   explain but it means that the boards are at an angle to the slots 
   and cannot be screwed into the tower :-(

   Oh! and by the way the instructions are ALL in German.

REVIEW

   Well there isn't much of a review, as when it is all installed
   it works just like an A1200 with Zorro II slots. What more can
   I say.

DOCUMENTATION

   If you're German I guess you'll be able to tell if it's any good
   or not.     

LIKES

   It works, after a fashion.

DISLIKES AND SUGGESTIONS

   It's not right yet.
   
   There's not enough room for the accelerator, it gets very hot
   hard up against the side of the tower.

   The holes at the back for the Zorro boards need redesigning as
   they are not wide enough at the moment.

   There's nowhere for the SCSI lead to exit. All it needs is a new
   back to the extra 5.25" bay, with a hole for the SCSI socket in it.

   The video slot sounds like a complete nightmare to get working.   
   
   And of course the manual needs translating

VENDOR SUPPORT

   The UK distributors Blittersoft were very helpful 

WARRANTY

   I'd guess 1 year. 

CONCLUSIONS

   After I ironed out the many problems it is now happily working
   on my desk, so I'm fairly pleased.

   3 out of 5  stars

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

   Copyright 1997 Stephen Bridges <[email-masked]>

-- 
          Stephen Bridges   [email-masked]   A1200T/A3000
      "How do we tell the people in the white coats enough is enough"

---

   Accepted and posted by Daniel Barrett, comp.sys.amiga.reviews moderator
   Send reviews to:	[email-masked]
   Request information:	[email-masked]
   Moderator mail:	[email-masked]
   Anonymous ftp site:  math.uh.edu, in /pub/Amiga/comp.sys.amiga.reviews
   Web site: ftp://math.uh.edu/pub/Amiga/comp.sys.amiga.reviews/index.html