Subject: REVIEW: Apple CD600e CD-ROM drive
From: [email-masked] (Peter Eriksson)
Date: 18 Nov 1996 22:37:50 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.reviews

PRODUCT NAME

	AppleCD 600e

BRIEF DESCRIPTION

	A quad speed, external SCSI-2 CD-ROM unit.

AUTHOR/COMPANY INFORMATION

	Name:		Apple Computer AB
	Address:	P.O. Box 31
			S-164 93 Kista-Stockholm
			SWEDEN

			[Please note that Apple has subsidiaries and
			distributors in other countries as well.]

	Telephone:	+46 (0) 8-703 30 00

	World Wide Web:	http://www.apple.se	(Swedish site)
			http://www.apple.com	(International site)

COMPONENTS SUPPLIED IN PACKAGE

	AppleCD 600e CD-ROM unit
	Power cord
	SCSI terminator
	SCSI "System" cable (25 pins to 50 pins style)
	Warranty statement
	Macintosh software license agreement
	Registration sheet + envelope for the sheet
	Apple Assistance information pamphlet
	List of world wide Apple subsidiaries and distributors
	User manual
	Macintosh CD-ROM Installation software on CD
	MacWorld commercial pamphlet

LIST PRICE

	Unfortunately I don't know what list price Swedish Apple has set.  I
purchased my CD-ROM unit on a sale for 1499 SEK (about $225 (US), DM 340,-).

DEMO VERSION

	None.

SPECIAL HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE REQUIREMENTS

	HARDWARE

		SCSI controller required.

	SOFTWARE
	
		A CD-ROM filesystem, such as "CDFileSystem" as found
		on the 3.1 Workbench disks.

COPY PROTECTION

	None.

MACHINE USED FOR TESTING

	Amiga 3000/25, 4 MB Fast RAM, 2 MB Chip RAM.
        Maxtor 120MB 7210SR internal hard disk.
	NEC Multisync-II multisync monitor.
	AmigaOS 3.1.
	CDFileSystem filesystem version 40.9 (used at first...)
	AmiCDROM filesystem version 1.15 (... and then replaced by AmiCDROM)

INSTALLATION

	Because the unit itself is external, you will have to connect
it to your SCSI controller somehow.  On my Amiga 3000, this is easily
done using the 'system' cable that comes with the CD-ROM unit.  If the
unit is to be connected to another device on a daisy-chain, a SCSI
'peripheral' cable is required.  Such a cable is not included with the
AppleCD 600e package.

	If the CD-ROM is the last device on the external chain of SCSI
units, it has to be equipped with a 'terminator'.  The terminator is a
resistor that tells the SCSI controller that this is the last device
on a given chain of devices.  A terminator that plugs right into one
of the AppleCD's two SCSI busses is supplied with the package.

	In order for the Amiga to communicate with the unit, a
software filesystem has to be mounted.  Users of Workbench 3.0 and
above already have one in the L: directory.  This filesystem is
henceforth referred to as 'CDFileSystem'.  Although this filesystem is
capable of dealing with CDs made for the Amiga, it lacks certain
features third party filesystems display.  Users who wants unlock
their CD-ROM unit's full potential should look for a filesystem
replacement.  (Note: The user manual mentions Audio CD, CD-ROM, CD-ROM
XA, CD+I, Photo CD, Video CD, CD+MIDI and CD+G as compatible Apple
600e CD-ROM formats.)

	In theory, the installation process should be a breeze.  Just
plug an appropriate SCSI cable into the last device on the (external)
daisy-chain and attach a terminator if the CD-ROM is the last piece of
equipment on the chain.  But then, this is in theory.  This process
showed to be more troublesome than first expected.  More on this
later.

REVIEW

	'This should be pretty much painless', I thought while
connecting the SCSI cable to my Amiga 3000, 'Just plug in the CD-ROM,
power up the computer and mount CD0:.'.  Yes, it _should_ be pretty
much painless, but then there is Murphy's Law.  I followed the
instructions step by step as prompted by the manual, turned on the
AppleCD 600e and then the computer itself.  Nothing.  Then nothing.
Then the "Insert Workbench floppy" animation.  'Great. The hard disk
won't boot.'.  I powered down everything and double checked the
terminator and the SCSI cable.  Everything did seem to be in order, so
I decided to power up the computer again with the CD-ROM turned off,
just to check whether or not my Amiga would boot from the hard disk
like it had during the last three years.  No problem, everything
worked like a charm, just like it always had. 'Oh well', I said, 'I'll
figure out why the computer won't boot with the CD-ROM turned on at
first later.'. Anxiously, I wanted to mount the CD filesystem. I
turned on the CD-ROM unit again, this time during the boot. As soon as
the Amiga had finished the boot sequence, I put a CD in the slot and
mounted CD0:. Again, nothing. No icons showing up on the Workbench
desktop, no device entry for CD0: reported by "C:Info". It appeared
like my CD-ROM was configured as SCSI ID 3 by default. CDFileSystem on
the other hand expects the CD-ROM to use ID 2. I changed the unit's ID
to 2 as described by the manual. This is done by pushing the tip of a
pen into a small hole on the back of the unit, just like you set the
time on most digital wrist clocks. I powered up the CD-ROM again,
mounted CD0: again and... it worked!

	I took a brief look at my Amiga's hard disk LED.  'Now what' I
cried out, getting tired of all these new problems piling up like
unpaid bills on the kitchen table.  The LED.  It was flashing.  Every
three seconds, that damn thing flashed!  No hard disk activity and
still, it flashed!  I later learned that this is normal behavior of
CDFileSystem.  The filesystem is polling the CD-ROM unit to check for
new CDs being removed and inserted, pretty much like the Amiga checks
for floppies (thus the clicking sound).  Every time a poll is made, the
hard disk LED flashes.  This may sound odd, and it is if you like me
don't know about the A3000's hard disk LED actually being a "SCSI"
LED.  The LED displays the SCSI controller's activity meaning every
action undertaken by any SCSI unit, may it be internal or external,
will be reflected by the "hard disk" LED.  (This "problem" was solved
by a lot of helpful people responding to an article I submitted to two
USENET Amiga newsgroups.)

	Still, one problem remained.  When I for some reason had to
reboot the computer without a CD in the AppleCD 600e unit, nothing
happened.  Annoying yes, but I soon found out that the computer would
boot from the hard disk as soon as I put a data CD into the unit or
after waiting perhaps half a minute.  I wasn't content with this
solution, however.  This shouldn't simply be.  Some intense e-mail
correspondence with Claus Pedersen, Denmark sorted things out.  To
quote Clauss: "Having a normal ISO CD placed in the drive, usually
shortens the wait period".  So what is the cause of the period of
waiting then?  Well, it has to do with the CD-ROM unit looking for a
boot strap.  If no CD is placed in the unit, it'll continue to search
until it timed out by the SCSI controlled.  However, if a CD is
inserted during this process or before it even started the CD-ROM will
stop looking for boot straps unless, of course, there is one in which
case it will boot from the CD instead from the hard disk.  As I don't
have access to any bootable CDs right now, I haven't had a chance to
test booting off CDs. (There are other means of getting around this
problem. Since this is a review I won't go into any details here and
now. Please get in touch with me if you have any questions regarding
this matter.)

	[MODERATOR'S NOTE: This problem is discussed and solved in the
	review hardware/cd-rom/CDROMsurvey1993 in our review archives.
	The archive web site is listed in my signature below.  Or email
	the moderator for a copy of this review.  - Dan]

	I thought I'd wrap up the review with some benchmarks I made.
I ran this script using CDFileSystem version 40.9, then AmiCDROM
version 1.15 and finally AmiCDFS version 2.37 (unregistered).

Date
Copy sprintsos1:games/entertn1/depth.zip RAM: QUIET
Date

	The CD used for the benchmarks is 'Super OZ Shareware Volume
1'.  Sorry to say, I had no Amiga CD available with files larger than
one megabyte so I had to use a friend's CD instead.  The file
"depth.zip" is 1452051 bytes large.

CDFileSystem version 40.9 takes 21 seconds to complete this operation, which
translates to approximately 67 KB/second (1452051 / 21 / 1024).

AmiCDROM version 1.15 takes 4 seconds to complete this operation, which
translates to approximately 354 KB/second (1452051 / 4 / 1024).

AmiCDFS version 2.37 takes 21 seconds to complete this operation, which
translates to approximately 67 KB/second (1452051 / 21 / 1024).

	A quad speed CD-ROM _should_ be able to read 600 KB/second (4
* 150).  Obviously, this isn't the case with any of the filesystems
I've tested.  The performance may however boost with different CD0:
mountlist parameters.  This hasn't been tested because no filesystem's
documentation mentions AppleCD 600e preferable settings.

DOCUMENTATION

	71 pages of printed assistance is what Apple has put into the
package, besides all commercial pamphlets, warranty cards, etc.
The documentation probably covers everything the average Macintosh
user needs to know, from installing the hardware itself to installing
the supplied Macintosh software.  Being an Amiga user, it is hard to
rate the documentation.  On one hand, I could say that the manual is
really lousy not mentioning any of the problems I experienced; but on the
other hand I could say this product is intended for users of Apple
computers.

	In short terms - an Amiga user may need additional sources of
related documentation to get everything up and running.  Something
like this review. :)

LIKES

	Once you get to know it, the Apple 600e CD-ROM unit does what
it is supposed to do with no quirks.  'No less, no more' as some would
put it. A more interesting discussion would be the interface between
the CD-ROM and the Amiga; i.e., the filesystem.  Whatever the CD-ROM is
up to must be matched by the filesystem.  Now if the filesystem can't
keep up with the CD-ROM in some aspect, we do have a bottle-neck.  'A
chain isn't stronger than its weakest link' as the Swedish saying
goes.  This is also the case with the filesystem you intend to use for
the CD-ROM unit.

DISLIKES AND SUGGESTIONS

	Just as I can't find much about the unit itself to like, I
don't find much to dislike neither.  I repeat myself - the unit does
what it is supposed to do with no quirks.  One thing I think should be
improved however, is the location of the headphone jack.  The outlet
is placed just underneath the CD slot which makes it hard to access
when the slot is in its 'outward' position.

	The unit has its power transformer built-in.  In case you own
the original Commodore 1541 5.25" floppy drive, you know what I'm
getting at.  Since the transformer is internal, the unit tends to be
quite warm after some time of usage.  In the case of the C1541, this
caused problems when certain circuits in the drive expanded and
shorted out when in contact with other components. I don't think this
is the case with technology of the mid 90's, but then again, nothing
is wrong with precaution. Not to mention the unit gets really dull
with a built-in transformer. (Note: the C1541's successor, the C1541-II
has an external transformer.)

COMPARISON TO OTHER SIMILAR PRODUCTS

	Since I never had the chance to play with CD-ROM equipped
Amigas before besides the CDTV and its cousin the CD32, there isn't
much to say here.

BUGS

	At the time of writing no bugs have been found.

VENDOR SUPPORT

	Apple has something they call 'Apple Assistance'.  You
register by sending your Apple subsidiary or distributor a provided
registration sheet.  As soon as Apple validates your registration you
get 90 days of free support per phone, plus either three free issues
of Swedish magazine 'Svenska MacWorld' (Swedish MacWorld) or a 45%
discount on a full year subscription of the very same magazine.
Offers similar to this may vary from country to country.

WARRANTY

	The chain of stores I bought my Apple 600e CD-ROM unit from
gives one year of product warranty.  Apart from this warranty, Apple
has a world wide warranty, also limited to one year.  Apple's warranty
applies to every country on the face of the Earth, provided you have a
proof of purchase from an authorized Apple dealer.

CONCLUSIONS

	I'm pleased with my purchase.  I've wanted a CD-ROM for my
Amiga 3000 for years, but external SCSI CD-ROM units have always been
rather expensive compared to e.g. internal IDE CD-ROM units.  This all
changed on that magic sale.  :) The AppleCD 600e works just the way
you expect it to work once you know what normal Amiga 3000 SCSI
behavior means.  No quirks, no fuzz.

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

	Copyright 1996 Peter Eriksson ([email-masked]).  Permission
hereby given to Amiga Report magazine for publication.

---

   Accepted and posted by Daniel Barrett, comp.sys.amiga.reviews moderator
   Send reviews to:	[email-masked]
   Request information:	[email-masked]
   Moderator mail:	[email-masked]
   Anonymous ftp site:  math.uh.edu, in /pub/Amiga/comp.sys.amiga.reviews
   Web site: ftp://math.uh.edu/pub/Amiga/comp.sys.amiga.reviews/index.html