Subject: REVIEW: Netcomm Roadster modem
From: [email-masked] (Paul Fuller)
Date: 17 Sep 1998 10:48:34 -0400
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.reviews

PRODUCT NAME

	Netcomm Roadster 28k8 External Modem (Model am3541)

BRIEF DESCRIPTION

	External 28k8 modem, that supports speeds upto v.34 also Fax

AUTHOR/COMPANY INFORMATION

	Name:		Netcomm
	Address:	

	Telephone:	1-800-642-067
	FAX:		+61(02)9887-4274

	E-mail:		[email-masked]
	World Wide Web:	www.netcomm.com.au

LIST PRICE

	$420 Australian (@20th June 1996) 

DEMO VERSION

	None

SPECIAL HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE REQUIREMENTS

	Serial Port.	Faster then 19.2k recommended.

	SOFTWARE
	
	A terminal software is required, none is provided.
	RAM: Device should be loaded, downloading to a Floppy is too slow.

COPY PROTECTION

	None

MACHINE USED FOR TESTING

	KickStart 1.3
	Amiga 500
	512k Expansion w/o Clock
	1 External 880k floppy
	1084s

INSTALLATION

	I opened the box, and was ready to go in under 2 minutes. There is an 
instruction manual, but i didn't need it. =) 
	
	Plug the Serial and Power cable into the Modem
	Plug the modem into the Serial Port.
	Switch the modem on, and it should make a Hi-lo beep.

	Load up your favourite Terminal Program, in my case JR-Comm 1.02a 
(04/22/91) Unregistered. Then change the modem/serial options

REVIEW

	I has to use the Amiga because my PC was getting fixed. I was alittle 
worried about getting the modem to work, even though i had used the 	amiga
for some time with my Interlink 14k4 a few years before.

	I loaded up JR-Comm 1.02a (04/22/91) Unregistered, tried setting the 	port
speed at 38400, it worked but with lots of errors, i tried again 	this time
with more success. I went back to goto Options, then Serial. 	Up popped the
Window with the Serial Options i changed it to 19.2k, 	rang up again and i
connected at 19200. I was worried that the Modem 	would connect at more
then 19200 and then wouldn't be able to be used.
	Now i was able to use all of the Unix commands, irc, pine, rtin, ncftp 
etc. Another thing which would be helpful, is make the RAM: drive the 
default download path.

DOCUMENTATION

	Documentation comes in both a book and Windows drivers. Nothing for my 
Amiga. Thats why you have to have a terminal program handy, which i 	got
from a local Amiga shop for a few bucks.

	Seeing as i have installed modems and used then for years i didn't 	really
have to use the documentation. But if it was someone beginners
	
LIKES

	It worked with my Amiga 500. Which amazed me, because its 6 year old 
computer.

DISLIKES AND SUGGESTIONS

	Couldn't get the full potential out of it, but i am using an Amiga 	500.
Maybe if you had a newer computer you could use it.

COMPARISON TO OTHER SIMILAR PRODUCTS

	I have used a the Amiga as a Local Node on my BBS and an Interlink 
14k4(Model Based 6a?) modem.

BUGS

	None

VENDOR SUPPORT

	Sent them a e-mail about getting a free upgrade, but didn't get one 	back.

WARRANTY

	I think 1 year, but never have checked.

CONCLUSIONS

	5 stars out of 5.

	I was worried that i would be able to use my Modem with my outdated
	Amiga 500, but it did work. 

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

	Freely distributable.

	By Paul Fuller 28th September 1997, 5:00pm AWST
	e-mail: [email-masked]

---

   Accepted and posted by Daniel Barrett, comp.sys.amiga.reviews moderator
   Send reviews to:	[email-masked]
   Request information:	[email-masked]
   Moderator mail:	[email-masked]
   Anonymous ftp site:  math.uh.edu, in /pub/Amiga/comp.sys.amiga.reviews
   Web site:		http://math.uh.edu/~barrett/reviews.html