Subject: REVIEW: The A64 Package, version 3.0
From: [email-masked] (Joseph Korczynski)
Date: 11 May 1994 19:29:31 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.reviews

PRODUCT NAME

	The A64 Package, version 3.0

BRIEF DESCRIPTION

	This software/hardware combination allows an Amiga computer to
emulate the ever-popular Commodore 64 ("C64").  It allows you to access
Commodore 8-bit peripherals such as the 15XX series disk drives and printers
in order to transfer files to and from the Amiga.

AUTHOR/COMPANY INFORMATION

	Name:		QuesTronix
	Address:	PO Box 340265
			Hartford CT 06134-0265
			USA
	Telephone:	(203) 666-8260  (9am-5pm EST)

LIST PRICE

	$59.95 (US).  Upgrade from version 2.0:  $25.00.

SPECIAL HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE REQUIREMENTS

All programs in The A64 Package are compatible with all Amiga
models using V1.3 - V3.0 of the operating system and with all
microprocessors, from the 68000 to the 68040    

	HARDWARE

		Works with all Amiga models.
		Works with all Amiga CPU's from 68000 to 68040.

		1MB RAM required.  2MB RAM recommended.

		Two floppy drives or a hard disk is recommended.

		A separate adapter cable is required for the Amiga 1000.
		
		AGA owners will need to enter the Early Startup Menu and
		select Enhanced Chip Set graphics mode.

		68040 users will have disable copyback mode.

	SOFTWARE
	
		Works with all AmigaDOS versions from 1.3 to 3.0.

COPY PROTECTION

	No copy protection that I am aware of.
	
	Software installs easily on your hard disk.

MACHINE USED FOR TESTING

	Amiga 4000/040, 2MB Chip RAM, 8 MB Fast RAM
	1 internal High Density floppy
	Seagate 120 MB IDE internal hard drive
	Seagate 345 MB IDE internal hard drive
	MacroSystems VLAB video digitizer Zorro II card
	Utilities Unlimited EMPLANT Deluxe Mac Emulator Zorro II card
	SyQuest 44MB removable SCSI hard drive
	Chinon SCSI CD-ROM drive
	Maxtor 245 MB SCSI hard drive 
	GVP EGS Spectrum Zorro III 24 bit graphics card
	Kickstart 3.0 (V39.106) and Workbench 3.0 (V39.48)

INSTALLATION

	Installation is very simple.  Copy the A64 Package software from the
supplied disks to your hard drive. 

	A script file is included to copy fonts to your FONTS directory and
a library to your LIBS directory.

REVIEW

	The A64 Package is a hardware and software product.  The hardware
consists of a small box which has a male DB25 and 8 pin DIN connectors along
with some special circuitry.  This box connects to your parallel port and
allows you to connect Commodore 8-bit serial peripherals such as the 15XX
series disk drives and printers.  NEVER PLUG THE INTERFACE INTO YOUR AMIGA
WHILE THE AMIGA IS TURNED ON.  You could damage your Amiga and peripherals
by doing so.  If you have an Amiga 1000 you will require an additional cable
specifically made to connect A500/2000 devices to an A1000 parallel port.
The hardware interface can stay plugged in at all times without interfering
with any programs on your Amiga as long as they do not use the parallel
port.  If you want to use your parallel port with some other pieces of
hardware like a printer or digitizer, you must either remove the hardware
interface and install the other device or use an A-B switch box (Centronics
parallel with female connectors).

	The software is a collection of Amiga programs which lets you access
and run C64 software. The main program, A64, is the Commodore 64 emulator.
The other programs allow you to transfer files between the C64 and Amiga
disks (with 15XX disk drives).

	After you install The A64 Package and run the A64 program, you will
notice that the BASIC startup screen is different from that of a real C64.
This is because the Commodore 64 ROMs (two computer chips located inside a
real C64 which contain the operating system) are not present in A64.  The C64
ROMs are not included because they are copyrighted by Commodore. The A64
contains a complete C64 ROM emulation which allows A64 to run most C64
programs. A64 ROM emulation is very compatible with the C64 ROMs, but there
may be some C64 programs that will not run because of the lack of real C64
ROMs. The A64 Package utilities includes a C64 BASIC program which can be
transferred to a real C64 via a 15XX disk drive connected to the A64
hardware interface. This program when run on the C64 will dump the C64 ROMs
to a file which can then be transferred back to the Amiga and used in the
A64 emulation.

	A64 is a complete Commodore 64 emulator. Sound, graphics, BASIC and
machine language are all emulated. A64 fully integrates with the Amiga by
allowing you to use Amiga disk drives, hard drives, ram drives, printers and
modems.

	A64 operates in two modes:  Pause Mode and C64 Mode.  When in Pause
Mode, you have access to the A64 Prefs (preferences) and A64Mon (machine
language monitor). The current C64 program that A64 is running will be
paused. Pause Mode gives you complete access to the Amiga system, and
multitasking is completely functional. The C64 Mode runs the C64 program. In
C64 mode you do not have access to the Amiga system.  Multitasking is not
disabled, but A64 controls a majority of the Amiga system.  To enter Pause
mode from C64 Mode, press the two ALT keys simultaneously.

	A64 emulation speed will depend on the program you are running and
the type of microprocessor that your Amiga uses. On 68000 based Amigas, A64
is not capable of running all programs at usable speed. Accelerated Amigas
can see emulation speeds over 300%.  Most games will not run over 100% no
matter how fast your Amiga is.

	I've done most of my evaluation of A64 with public domain software.
I have been able to run everything I can throw at it. I do enjoy browsing
the ABCUG user group monthly C64 public domain program disk.

	A great deal of effort was spent trying to make the A64 as
compatible as possible. The biggest problem with compatibility is related to
disk I/O and custom disk drive routines. Custom disk drive routines "Fast
Loaders" are extremely time critical and must run at exactly 100% speed in
order to function properly. "Fast Loaders" vary from program to program. The
only way to emulate "Fast Loaders" is to write a custom loader for each
program which is impossible since there are hundreds of variations. A64 V3.0
supports some "Fast Loaders" using Patch Files. There are Patch Files for
ISEPICed archived programs, SID/PIC V3.4, SIDPlayer, and GEOS.  (GEOS is
supported only on 68000 Amigas and 1541/1571 disk drives because of the
time-critical nature of the GEOS operating system.)

	One method of speeding up A64 emulation is to convert the C64
program from 6510 opcodes to 68000 opcodes. This has the potential to double
your emulation speed. This is accomplished with a utility called "CONVERT".
The CONVERT utility converts C64 machine language into Amiga machine
language. This conversion process eliminates a lot of work the A64 has do
while running the emulation.

	A64Tools is the file transfer and file conversion utility. It allows
you to copy, convert and print files using any combination of Amiga and C64
disk drives and printers. Text files can easily be converted between
PetASCII and ASCII. Amiga drives only support PRG and SEQ files under A64
emulation. ":" and "/" are illegal characters for Amiga filenames. When
A64Tools encounters on of these characters in a filename, the character will
automatically be changed to a "-".

	As an original A64 V2.0 registered user, I am impressed with the
enhanced SID chip support, increased speed and compatibility. I also welcome
the addition of Patch Files for "Fast Loader" support along with support for
GEOS. It was worth the $25 upgrade fee.

DOCUMENTATION

	Documentations consists of a professionally printed softbound
manual. It has an extensive index and table of contents.  The manual assumes
that you are familiar with the basic operation of the Amiga and the terms
used to describe it. The manual also assumes you are familiar with the basic
use of the Commodore 64.

LIKES AND DISLIKES

	I like the professionally bound manual. 
	I like the patch file support.
	I like the improved SID support.

	I dislike the software not working in native AGA graphic mode.

	I would like to see 1581 emulation using native Amiga disk drives.

COMPARISON TO OTHER SIMILAR PRODUCTS

	This product has evolved over several years. I was first introduced
to this product as the GO-64.

BUGS

	None at this time.

VENDOR SUPPORT

	I have not tried contacting the vendor.

WARRANTY

	90 day limited warranty.

CONCLUSIONS

	I enjoy the ability to emulate other computers. As Newsletter Editor
the ABCUG user group which supports the Amiga and Commodore 64/128 computer
users, I find A64 a valuable tool for reviewing C64 public domain software
and writing tutorials for the monthly newsletter. Understanding the
limitations of software emulation, I give this product **** (4 out of 5
stars).

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

	Copyright 1994 Joseph F. Korczynski.  All rights reserved.

---

   Daniel Barrett, Moderator, comp.sys.amiga.reviews
   Send reviews to:	[email-masked]
   Request information:	[email-masked]
   Moderator mail:	[email-masked]
   Anonymous ftp site:  math.uh.edu, in /pub/Amiga/comp.sys.amiga.reviews