Subject: REVIEW: DataFlyer XDS IDE interface for Amiga 600/1200
From: [email-masked] (Michael Bryant)
Date: 11 Oct 1994 17:18:23 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.reviews

PRODUCT NAME

	DataFlyer XDS

BRIEF DESCRIPTION

	Enables the Amiga 600/1200 to add an external 3.5" IDE hard drive
while leaving the 2.5" internal hard drive slot open.

AUTHOR/COMPANY INFORMATION

	Name:		Expansion Systems
			44862 Osgood Road
			Fremont, CA  94539
			USA
	Telephone:	(510) 656-2890, 8:00am - 4:30pm Mon-Fri (PST)
	FAX:		(510) 656-5131

LIST PRICE

	Approximately $70 US dollars.

SPECIAL HARDWARE/SOFTWARE REQUIREMENTS

	HARDWARE

		Amiga 600 or 1200 computer.

	SOFTWARE

		The Amiga 600 MUST have Kickstart 37.350 or higher to use
		this product. The Amiga 1200 has no such requirements.

COPY PROTECTION

	The Install disk is not copy protected.

MACHINE USED FOR TESTING

	Amiga 600 with 2 megs Chip RAM
	External floppy (Amiga 1010 drive)
	Seagate 545 MB Hard drive
	AmigaDOS 2.05 (Kickstart 37.350)

INSTALLATION

	[MODERATOR'S NOTE:  If you are not comfortable opening up your
	Amiga, then you should have the work done by an authorized Amiga
	service center.  Opening your Amiga yourself may void your warranty,
	and careless work may even damage the machine.  - Dan]

	The included manuals were very clear and concise. Installing the
hardware requires opening your Amiga case (possibly voiding your warranty).
The only problem that I encountered was that the IDE header pins inside the
Amiga needed to be spread apart slightly for a good connection.

	The Install disk has on-line help at any portion of the installation.
The actual installation can be done by any Amiga user from the most novice
to the most experienced.

REVIEW

	The DataFlyer XDS is the size of my Supra 144LC modem.  I have had
the unit for 2 weeks, as of this writing, and have found NO flaws or
problems with the equipment.  My only regret is that the cable from the
Amiga to the XDS is only 2 feet long and could be a little longer. The Tech
for Expansion Systems says that this is the maximum length possible while
keeping data transfer error-free.

DOCUMENTATION

	Both printed and on disk.  2 separate manuals are included:  one for
the installation of the XDS, and the other for the installation of the
software on the Install disk. Once you start with the Install disk, the
on-line help is the same as the printed help.

LIKES

	The XDS gives Amiga 600/1200 users the ability to purchase larger
capacity hard drives than what the 2.5" drives offer.  It does not take away
from the internal hard drive.  It uses the power supply from the Amiga, or
you can purchase a separate power supply.

DISLIKES AND SUGGESTIONS

	With the exception of the short cable described above, I have none.

BUGS
	I have found none as of this writing.

VENDOR SUPPORT

	Excellent.  The Tech guy, Brian, was very helpful when I had a
question.  He even called Seagate and held a 3 way conference.

CONCLUSION

	For those Amiga 600/1200 users that have not purchased a hard drive,
or those looking to expand or add a hard drive, this is the route to go.
There is an extra IDE header which allows you to 'daisy-chain' to another
XDS or their SCSI interface.  I am very happy with the product.

- [email-masked]

---

   Daniel Barrett, Moderator, comp.sys.amiga.reviews
   Send reviews to:	[email-masked]
   Request information:	[email-masked]
   Moderator mail:	[email-masked]
   Anonymous ftp site:  math.uh.edu, in /pub/Amiga/comp.sys.amiga.reviews