Subject: REVIEW: AmTRAC Trackball
From: Greg B. Eanes <[email-masked]>
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.reviews

--text follows this line--
MicroSpeed has produced a quality trackball for people desiring a mouse
alternative. Among its features are: plug compatibility with all Amigas,
large trackball surface, large wrap around left and right buttons, drag
lock, and comfortable use.

Product: MicroSpeed's AmTRAC Trackball
Price  : $99 SRP
         (Call MicroSpeed for special user group pricing.)

NOTE: MicroSpeed provided our users group with an AmTRAC Trackball
demonstration unit under the condition that we would demonstrate it at
the next meeting, review it in our newsletter, and raffle it off to our
membership. The following is a review of that trackball.

AmTRAC Arrives
------ -------
The AmTRAC trackball arrived within a week of talking with Peter Rowe,
MicroSpeed's coordinator for user group sales. After opening the
shipping box and wading through a sea of styrofoam packing, I removed
the enclosed AmTRAC box and opened it. Inside was an Amiga color
coordinated trackball which looked twice as long as the standard
Commodore mouse and half again as wide. The ball was larger than other
trackballs I had seen, big enough to accommodate three or four fingers.
The left and right buttons, which are functionally equivalent to their
mouse counterparts, wrapped almost completely around the trackball.
Separating the left and right buttons and located at the top of the
unit (furthest away from you) was a middle button used to lock either
the left or right button in an activated state.

There was also an owner's guide inside the AmTRAC box and after a quick
look through its four pages, I unplugged my mouse and inserted the
trackball connector. Since the trackball is plug compatible with all
Amigas, installation was easy. The fit was not as tight as with the
mouse, but it was snug enough that I did not have to worry about it
working loose.

I turned on my Amiga and started experimenting with the trackball. When
placed on my desk, the AmTRAC sloped off toward me, providing a
comfortable resting place for my palm. The bottom of the unit had
rubber feet, giving it a firm grip on the desk.

As you might expect, it was a different feeling than using a mouse. At
first, attempting to hold the right button down while moving through a
menu was awkward, similar to the first time I used a mouse. The same
went for holding down the left button and trying to resize a window.
The awkwardness stemmed from my initial inability to use my fingers to
move the trackball while at the same time using a finger (or thumb) to
press and hold one of the buttons. However, the awkwardness vanished
quickly and within an hour I was well on my way to being addicted.

Drag Lock
---- ----
As mentioned above, MicroSpeed has provided a drag lock feature through
the addition of a middle button. With it, AmTRAC gives you the ability
to lock either the left or right buttons so that you can simply
concentrate on moving the trackball.

By default, the drag lock setting is for the left button. To change to
the right button, or to change back to left button drag lock, you must:

1. Press and hold the right or left button
2. Press and release the middle button
3. Release the right or left button.

I found this method cumbersome for common tasks and preferred, with some
practice, to hold either the left or right button down with a finger
while moving the trackball. I suppose drag lock could be useful in
certain applications where one of the buttons needs to be activated much
of the time, such as in any number of graphics programs where pressing
the left button causes the pointer to draw. But since my use of those
types of programs is minimal, so was my need of the drag lock feature.
For my purposes, it would have been better to include a ``real'' middle
button instead of a dedicated drag lock. However, drag lock is there if
you have a need for it.

A Few Points To Consider
- --- ------ -- --------
Overall, I have really enjoyed the use of MicroSpeed's AmTRAC
Trackball. Not having to pick a mouse up and move it back onto the
mouse pad is pure joy. After 2 1/2 weeks of flawless performance and
several phone conversations with Mr. Rowe, I am convinced MicroSpeed
runs a top notch operation. In addition to Amigas, MicroSpeed produces
trackballs for a wide range of other computer systems including Sun and
Silicon Graphics workstations as well as IBM and Macintosh computers,
which leads me to believe they must be doing something right. Also, a
one year parts and labor warranty comes with each unit.

If you are in the market for a mouse and would like to try something
different, give MicroSpeed's AmTRAC trackball a try. I was pleasantly
surprised, you might be too.

Specifications (from the owner's guide)
--------------
Case Dimensions     6.75"l x 3.75"w x 2.4"h
Unit weight         14 oz.
Ball                2.25" diameter, polyester
Cable               8 Conductor, shielded 4' long
Connector           DB-9S female
Power Req.          Less than 100 ma DC @ 5V

For additional information, contact:
--- ---------- -----------  -------
Peter Rowe
Coordinator for User Group Sales
MicroSpeed Incorporated
44000 Old Warm Springs Blvd.
Fremont, California 94538

Ph#: (800)232-7888
     (510)490-1403
FAX: (510)490-1665

--                                                                    --
Greg Eanes                                       [email-masked]
1508 Winslow Drive
Little Rock, AR 72207-6120
--                                                                    --