Subject: REVIEW: Golden Image Amiga/Atari Trackball
From: [email-masked] (David Templeton)
Date: 10 Jun 1997 02:42:27 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.reviews

PRODUCT NAME

	Golden Image AMIGA/Atari Trackball

BRIEF DESCRIPTION

	The Golden Image trackball is a 3 button opto-mechanical input
	device for the Amiga/Atari computers. It uses metal bearing
	rollers.  The ball is about the size of a golf ball. Its
	mesures approx 4 inches tall by 3 inches wide and about 2
	inches thick.

AUTHOR/COMPANY INFORMATION

	Name:		Golden Image
	
	Address:	...

	Telephone:	+44 (0) 181 900 9291
	
	FAX:		...

	E-mail:		...
	
	World Wide Web:	http://www.reserve.co.uk/gold

LIST PRICE

        $45 US

DEMO VERSION

        NONE

SPECIAL HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE REQUIREMENTS

	HARDWARE

          Amiga Computer

	SOFTWARE
	
          NONE

COPY PROTECTION

        NONE

MACHINE USED FOR TESTING

        A2000 REV 4.5
        FULL ECS Chipset
        1MB CHIP RAM
        CSA Derringer 68030 50MhZ w/8MB 32 bit RAM
        GVP Series-II SCSI controler v4.13 ROMS w/2MB Fast RAM
        C=2320 Display Enhancer
        Alpha Data Multiface-III multi I/O card.
        Maxtor 345S, 345mb SCSI HD.
        Quantum 105S, 105mb SCSI HD.
        Seagate St-296N, 80MB SCSI HD.
        C= A3000 Internal High Density (1.76) floppy.
        Golden Image Master 3A-1D external (880K) floppy.
        Iomega SCSI ZIP drive.
        C=A3070 Tape Drive.

INSTALLATION

        Check the position of the switch on the bottom of the unit, making
        sure its in the Amiga position.  Plug the 9 pin female connector
        into the Amiga mouse port.

REVIEW

        The overall quality of construction is pretty good.  Much better
        than the AmTrac by MicroSped.  The ball rolls smoothly and the
        buttons have a crisp click.  

DOCUMENTATION

        Documentation consists of one small sheet of paper explaing the
        position of the switch on the bottom of the Trackball.  There were
        no phone numbers or contact information for technical support.  No
        warrenty card.... NOTHING!

LIKES

        I like the rolling action of the ball and the buttons have a nice
        feel.

DISLIKES AND SUGGESTIONS

        My biggest complaint is the poor/lack of documentation and no
        contact numbers or technical support info.  This is very strange
        as I have a Golden Image floppy drive and the documentation was
        outstanding.  I don't know if this is a reflection of Golden
        Image's current attitude about the Amiga market or what.  Maybe I
        just got an odd-ball box with no docs.  If this is the normal way
        the trackball is shipped, then it is unacceptable.  I would contact 
        them if they had included an Email address.

        Also I find that the TrackBall is smaller than I really like.  I
        like the Que ball size balls.  The ball on the Golden Image
        Trackball is about the size of a golf ball.

COMPARISON TO OTHER SIMILAR PRODUCTS

        The Golden Image is similar in quality and price to the old Kraft
        trackballs.  Compared to the AmTrac which retails for about $25
        more than the Golden Image, I'd say the Golden Image wins hands
        down despite the lack of documentation.

BUGS
        NONE

VENDOR SUPPORT

       NONE

WARRANTY

	Unknown

CONCLUSIONS

        I give it an overall rating of fair.

        I would give it a score of 3.5 Stars out of 5, about what you would 
        expect for a $45 trackball?

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

        Copyright 1997 David Templeton
	[email-masked]

---

   Accepted and posted by Daniel Barrett, comp.sys.amiga.reviews moderator
   Send reviews to:	[email-masked]
   Request information:	[email-masked]
   Moderator mail:	[email-masked]
   Anonymous ftp site:  math.uh.edu, in /pub/Amiga/comp.sys.amiga.reviews
   Web site: ftp://math.uh.edu/pub/Amiga/comp.sys.amiga.reviews/index.html