Subject: REVIEW: Gravis Gamepad
From: [email-masked] (Kenneth Herron)
Date: 31 Jan 1993 03:08:45 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.reviews

PRODUCT NAME

	Gravis Gamepad control pad and digital joystick

BRIEF DESCRIPTION

	This is a game controller similar to that used by the Sega or
Nintendo game systems.  The Gamepad consists of a thumb-operated directional
pad and four buttons.  Switches allow left- or right-handed operation and
autofire capability.  Compatible with all Amiga models, as well as the Atari
ST line.

AUTHOR/COMPANY INFORMATION

	Name:		Advanced Gravis Computer Technology, Ltd.
	Address:	1790 Midway Lane
			Bellingham, Washington USA 98226

			#111, 7400 MacPherson Avenue
			Burnaby, BC, Canada  V5J 5B6

	Telephone:	(604) 431-1807	[Canada]
	FAX:		(604) 431-5155	[Canada]

	E-mail:
	 Compu$erve:	75300,733
			(Or type "GO PCVENB" to reach their
			support forum).
	 GEnie:		Gravis1
	 AppleLink:	CDA0312
	 Internet:	[email-masked]

LIST PRICE

	Unknown (sorry); I paid US $24.97 + tax at a local store

REVIEW

	Finally, a good two-button controller with autofire!

	If you've seen a Nintendo or Genesis controller, you have a good
idea what the Gamepad looks like.  It's vaguely oval, with a directional pad
at one end and four buttons in a diamond formation at the other.  Along the
sides are two switches to adjust its operation.  Typically, one holds the
Gamepad in both hands, controlling the pad with one thumb and the buttons
with the other.  Construction is of high quality, and the case is comfortable
to hold (even in a tight "death-grip").  The unit also has four rubber feet
so you can rest it on a table-top.

	The directional pad has depressions in the diagonal directions, and
it is easy to use once you get the hang of steering with your thumb.  Tight
maneuvering will take some practice.  At the center of the pad is a threaded
brass insert; a short plastic stick is included with the Gamepad in case you
prefer traditional stick operation.  I only tested this briefly; the stick
seemed rather flimsy, and I could easily envision it's breaking during a
high-stress situation.

	A switch reverses both axes of the pad, allowing you to turn the
unit over and control either side with either hand.

	The four control buttons are interpreted two different ways,
depending on the other switch:

		Red:	Fire button A		Fire button A
		Yellow:	Fire button B		Directional UP
		Blue:	Autofire A		Fire button B
		Green:	Autofire B		Directional DOWN

	Note that button B moves from one setting to the other; this is
potentially confusing.  Also note the buttons don't change function from
right-hand mode to left.  Each button takes a pretty soft touch and provides
a light "click" feedback as its pressed.  Autofire is in excess of two shots
per second.

	Most of my play-testing was with the three games _F-18 Interceptor_,
_Stunt Car Racer_, and _Turrican_.  Turrican benefits greatly from the
second fire button as well as the autofire capability.  Neither F-18 or SCR
benefitted especially from the Gamepad's design, but control was as good as
with a regular joystick (I had some difficulty lining up with the carrier,
which I blame on lack of practice and unfamiliarity with the thumb pad).

DOCUMENTATION

	The Gamepad comes with a 16-page instruction booklet including
button diagrams, a trouble-shooting guide, technical support info, warranty
info, a glossary, and an index.  An additional sheet gives the essential
information in French, Italian, and German, along with a translation chart
for words like "blue", "turbo", "right", and so on.  Gravis also includes a
warranty registration card which asks the typical nosy questions.

LIKES AND DISLIKES

	As stated before, the unit is solidly built.  The case doesn't flex
or creak when twisted.  The cord includes strain-relief on the plug end (but
not the Gamepad end, though it's probably not necessary).  The unit is
comfortable to hold and contains no sharp corners.  The two switches are
recessed so you won't flip them accidently.  The buttons and pad have a nice
feel to them.

	Gravis could have put a little more thought into the button
assignments; only the main fire button remains the same in both modes, and
the other assignments aren't very intuitive:  UP and DOWN in particular.

	The threaded section of the stick could also have been more
substantial.  The impression is that the stick was added as an afterthought.

WARRANTY

	The Gamepad is warranted for one year against manufacturing
defects.  Breakage or cross-threading of the joystick adapter is
specifically not a warranty item; new sticks are available at US $5.00 for 2
sticks.  The warranty only applies to the original purchaser, and the claim
procedure requires sending a copy of the original receipt.  The box
describes the warranty as a "1 year no-nonsense warranty", but the actual
warranty doesn't read like anything special.

CONCLUSIONS

	Controllers for the Sega Genesis work with the Amiga and also
support a second fire button (they actually have three, but the Amiga
doesn't handle the third).  The Gravis Gamepad, however, offers in one
package two fire buttons, autofire, and left-handed operation.  I highly
recommend it for anyone who needs a second fire button or who prefers the
Nintendo/Sega style of controller.

NON-COPYRIGHT NOTICE

	I place this review in the Public Domain.

Kenneth Herron                                            [email-masked]
University of Kentucky                                       +1 606 257 2975
Dept. of Mathematics "Your ball goes over them, it sails off the edge into a
huge cauldron of fire-breathing dragons."  "And they call this a par three?"

---

   Daniel Barrett, Moderator, comp.sys.amiga.reviews
   Send reviews to:	[email-masked]
   Request information:	[email-masked]
   Moderator mail:	[email-masked]