Subject: REVIEW: Competition Pro Super CD 32 Professional Control Pad
From: [email-masked] (Thomas Baetzler)
Date: 15 Jun 1994 15:53:15 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.reviews

PRODUCT NAME

	Competition Pro Super CD 32 Professional Control Pad

BRIEF DESCRIPTION

	A replacement joypad for the CD^32 with extras like Turbo and
Auto Fire for each of the six control buttons.

AUTHOR/COMPANY INFORMATION

	Distributed in the USA by:

	Name:		Happ Controls, Inc.
	Address:	106 Garlisch Drive
			Elk Grove, IL  60007
			USA

	Telephone:	(708) 593-617
	FAX:		(708) 593-6137

	Distributed in the UK by:

	Name:		Powerplay, Ltd.
	Address:	Slackcote Lane
			Delph
			Oldham
			Lancashire OL3 5TW
			UK

	Telephone:	0457 876705
	FAX:		0457 871058

LIST PRICE

	I paid DM 60 (about $35(US)) at a local store.  Mail order prices
seem to get as low as DM 49.- (about $30(US)).

SPECIAL HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE REQUIREMENTS

	HARDWARE

		A Commodore CD^32

	SOFTWARE

		None.

MACHINE USED FOR TESTING

	A plain CD^32 hooked up to a 1081 monitor.

INSTALLATION

	The Super CD 32 pad should be plugged in as either the first or
second controller on the CD^32.  At first, I had some minor problems with
this, as the pad's plug did not fit into the socket.  Scratching off bits of
plastic at the sides of the plug with a knife helped, though.

REVIEW

	I have been trying hard to develop a liking for the CD^32 joypad for
six weeks - and so far, I haven't been successful.  The problem isn't just
that it looks weird, but also that the steering acts weird.  So when I heard
that a local dealer had picked up the Super CD 32 pad, I knew I had to get
one.

	After a bit of haggling about the price, I left the shop with a
small, colorful box bearing pictures of the pad, some promotional
information, and a "Made in China" designation.  At a first glance, the
Super CD 32 pad looks suspiciously like a controller from a Sega Megadrive
(also known as "Genesis" in North America), souped-up.  It looks solid and
definitely not as "cheesy" as the original pad.  However, the similarities
with the Megadrive pad end with the general design of the pad and the
steering cross, as there are quite a lot of additional buttons and switches.

	The "left" and "right" buttons can be found just where they are
supposed to be at the back of the pad, while the field of colored fire
buttons on the right side of the pad appears rotated by 45 degrees
counter-clockwise with respect to the original Commodore pad.  This layout
gives better access to the "red" standard fire button, but it also makes
reaching the "yellow" button a bit harder. 

	While the buttons on the Commodore pad are done all in color, the
buttons on the Super CD 32 pad are just standard grey, with colored function
symbols embossed.  These symbols correspond to the functions of the CD^32
CD-player control screen.

	The upper middle of the pad is dedicated to a bank of six switches
which activate Turbo or Auto Fire for each of the six buttons.  The Turbo
Fire mode toggles the button continuously while you hold it down, while Auto
Fire just blazes away whether you press the button or not.  The start/pause
button has its own Auto Fire switch, which is labelled "slow", because it
can toggle the "pause" function of a game that supports this feature, thus
slowing it down considerably. There is no way to set the rate of the
Auto/Turbo Fire function.

	The cord of the Super CD 32 pad is 1.90 m in length:  a bit shorter
than that of the original Commodore pad.  Still, it enables you to sit back
at a comfortable distance when playing.

	The kidney-shaped pad fits well in your hand, and you can reach both
the steering cross and the button field quite comfortably so that you don't
have to strain your hands. The steering itself is pretty sensitive, and it
takes some time to get used to it.  I found it especially difficult to
produce straight "up" movements without adding a "left" or "right"
component. Besides that small gripe, I was fairly satisfied with the
performance of the pad.

DOCUMENTATION

	The Super CD 32 pad comes with a small foldout leaflet that contains
general operating instructions.  Instructions are in 5 languages, with two
A6-sized pages per language.  As most of the functions of the pad are quite
obvious, you'll probably throw the leaflet away soon.

LIKES

	Having selectable Auto/Turbo Fire isn't as vital nowadays as it used
to be.  Still, it's great to have such an option for all six buttons - you
might never know when such a feature comes in handy to abuse a game.

DISLIKES AND SUGGESTIONS

	Just like the Commodore pad, the Super CD 32 pad was obviously
designed with the young player in mind, as the whole layout is a bit cramped.
Somebody with big hands might have problems with the the small steering
cross and the small, closely-spaced buttons of the button field.

	The steering could be a bit less sensitive to minimal movements.
Maybe using microswitches instead of the cheaper "foil switches" would help.
(I don't know the exact term in English.)

COMPARISON TO OTHER SIMILAR PRODUCTS

	The Super CD 32 pad measures up quite well against the original
Commodore CD^32 joypad, which doesn't quite come as a surprise.  Its main
advantages are its appealing design, the improved steering cross, and the
Auto/Turbo Fire selectors for all buttons.

	In direct comparison to console joypads, I'd say it's about as good
as a Megadrive pad but not as good as the Super Nintendo ones.  Of course
this is a rather subjective rating, so please don't roast me alive if you
happen to like the Megadrive pad better.

BUGS

	Apart from the oversized joypad plug, there is nothing wrong with
the pad.

VENDOR SUPPORT

	None.

WARRANTY

	The package states that there is a 12 month warranty for the original
purchaser on the joypad, and that you need a proof of purchase in case you
have to send the pad in.  Of course, the warranty just covers defects in
material and workmanship, but not the normal wear and tear, which is
ironically called "industrial use and abuse" on the package.

CONCLUSIONS

	The Competition Pro Super CD 32 joypad is not a perfect product, but
the overall performance is quite fair. Considering the fact that it is
cheaper and better than the Commodore pad, I would say that this is pad to
shop for when you're looking to buy an additional or a replacement pad.

	Still, I would like to see more competition on the market from other
established names like Gravis or ASCIIware.

	My personal rating for the Super CD 32 pad is three stars out of
five.

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

	Copyright 1994 Thomas Baetzler.  All rights reserved.

You can contact me at:
	
	[email-masked]				(used to be quite reliable)
	[email-masked]		(my "official" address for now)
	Medic BSS, 2:2476/454.2@fidonet	(fido, neither fast nor reliable)

	Thomas Baetzler, Herrenstr. 62,	76133 Karlsruhe, FRG
	Voice: ++49 (0)721 29872  Medic	BBS: ++49 (0)721 496821

---

   Daniel Barrett, Moderator, comp.sys.amiga.reviews
   Send reviews to:	[email-masked]
   Request information:	[email-masked]
   Moderator mail:	[email-masked]
   Anonymous ftp site:  math.uh.edu, in /pub/Amiga/comp.sys.amiga.reviews