Subject: REVIEW: SwitchHitter PC keyboard to Amiga adapter
From: [email-masked] (John Scott Freeland)
Date: 26 Jul 1995 19:46:56 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.reviews

PRODUCT NAME

	SwitchHitter PC keyboard to Amiga adapter

BRIEF DESCRIPTION

        A keyboard adapter that allows you to use IBM AT compatible keyboards
on your Amiga 2000/2500/3000/4000 and CD32.  (More than likely, an easy
solution will be available for A500/1000s.)

AUTHOR/COMPANY INFORMATION

	Name:		Dana Peters
	Address:	#7 - 49 Sherway Drive
			Nepean, Ontario
			Canada  K2J 2K3

	Telephone:	(613) 825-7031

	E-mail:		[email-masked]
	World Wide Web:	http://www.worldlink.ca/~dana

LIST PRICE

	$45 (US), ground shipping included.

SPECIAL HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE REQUIREMENTS

        HARDWARE

                Needs a "keyboard port."  I believe the A600 and A1200
		machines would require some rather extensive hacking to be
		able to accept this adapter.

	SOFTWARE

		None.  This product simply replaces the standard Amiga
		keyboard hardware.

COPY PROTECTION

	None.

MACHINE USED FOR TESTING

        A2000, A2500, A3000, A4000 and CD32.

INSTALLATION

	Just power down the Amiga, unplug the old keyboard, plug the
SwitchHitter in and the PC keyboard into the SwitchHitter and power back up.

	There are some DIP switches for customizing the setup, but the
default is fine for a start - more on this later..

REVIEW

	I'm _forced_ to use a PC Clone at work.  The latest thing to appear
on my system there is a Microsoft Natural(c) keyboard.  This is one of those
'Ergonomic' keyboards with the left-hand side of the keyboard slightly offset
(approximate 10 degree angle) from the right-hand side, and the numeric
keypad is more 'sculpted' to fit the fingers in the 'ten-key form' of entry.

	Actually, I've gotten to like this keyboard.  I've only been a
marginal 'touch-typist' and this keyboard has helped enforce proper
practice.  Besides - it looks cool!  :-) So, it was time to start looking
for keyboard adapters so I could use one on my A4000.

	During my search, Dana Peters and I got into an EMail exchange about
a new gadget he was developing, the SwitchHitter.  I was looking for support
of the additional 'Windows' keys(at the bottom of the 'alpha' keys at
approximately the same position as the 'Amiga' keys on a standard C=
keyboard).  Dana was very supportive and essentially did a custom design for
the 'Natural'.

	When I received the prototype, I was pleased to see that not only was
the 'Natural' support well done, but Dana had also added other features:

o	StickyKeys - a convenience to those who prefer to type with one
	hand, and/or enables users with limited manual dexterity to use the
	Amiga.  Enabling 'Sticky Mode' is just a matter of pressing and
	holding the ScrollLock key.  After two seconds, the 'Scroll Lock'
	LED flashes on to indicate sticky mode is on.  Now, whenever a
	modifier key is pressed and released (Ctrl, Shift, Amiga or Alt) it
	will be automatically 'stuck' down, the 'Scroll Lock' LED lights to
	indicate the modifier is stuck.  The stuck modifiers are
	automatically released after any non-modifier (or the Scroll Lock)
	key is typed.  If a non-modifier key is typed while a modifier is
	being held, the modifier does not remain stuck when it's released
	permitting normal two-handed typing while in sticky mode.  Exiting
	Sticky mode is like entering - press the ScrollLock for two seconds
	and you'll get a flash from the 'Scroll Lock' LED.

o	Keyboard Mouse - yes, the Amiga _does_ have that feature built- in -
	this is just a nicer way of taking advantage of that...  When
	'NumLock' is on (indicated by it's LED), the numeric keypad 8,2,4
	and 6 keys are up, down, left and right respectively, the 0 and .
	keys are the left and right mouse buttons.  In conjunction with
	Sticky Keys, the 'mouse buttons' in this mode can be locked on for
	even easier manipulation.

o	For those Not using the 'Natural' keyboard - there are four DIP
	switches for several optional keyboard mappings.  One setting
	provides a proper 'spatial' orientation for those that prefer not
	having to re-learn a keyboard layout.  

o	Almost all of the keys are mapped to do something useful:

           101-Key         Amiga               And in addition and
           AT Keyboard     Equivalent            Most Notably :-)
          -----------------------------------   Microsoft      Amiga
           PrtScr/SysRq  |  Help                Natural KB   Equivalent
           Delete        |  Del               ---------------------------
           Insert        |  Alt-g (accent)     Left Windows | Left Amiga
           Pause/Break   |  unused             Right Windows| Right Amiga
           Home          |  Shift left arrow   Menu         | Left A-m
           End           |  Shift right arrow
           Page Up       |  Shift down arrow

DOCUMENTATION

	One 8 1/2x11 two-sided page.

	This is all that was required for a product of this type.  The DIPs
were explained in a logical, easy to understand fashion.

LIKES

	I like the complete support of the Micro*oft Natural keyboard and
the 'StickyKeys' feature is quite cool

DISLIKES AND SUGGESTIONS

	My only suggestion would be some way to 'program' the F11 and F12
keys.  I had no other use for them as the MS Nat. has a place for the
'Amiga' keys.

COMPARISON TO OTHER SIMILAR PRODUCTS

	The only other device like this that I've had my hands on is the PC
keyboard socket in the SX1 (CD32 expansion).  There are some 'keyboard
buffering' problems with that one.  I went back to the keyboard socket on
the CD32 when the SwitchHitter freed up my A4000 keyboard.  :-)

BUGS

	None that I could find.

VENDOR SUPPORT

	I've been quite pleased with the support so far.  No need as yet to
test his repair support.  

	My only association is as a beta tester for the prototype - I now
own a production unit.  I have no vested interest in his company and
Naturally :-) wish him the best.

WARRANTY

	No warranty is mentioned in the simple documentation.  Very little
could go wrong with a discrete component like this, anyway.

CONCLUSIONS

	I'd give this six out of six stars.  A very cool gadget.

	I'm very happy I found this product - it's made my clone friends
envious that it can make a Natural KB even better than when it's plugged
into a 'native' system.

	John Scott Freeland <[email-masked]> (26-Jul-95)

---

   Daniel Barrett, Moderator, comp.sys.amiga.reviews
   Send reviews to:	[email-masked]
   Request information:	[email-masked]
   Moderator mail:	[email-masked]
   Anonymous ftp site:  math.uh.edu, in /pub/Amiga/comp.sys.amiga.reviews