Subject: REVIEW: Topolino PC mouse adapter
From: [email-masked] (David Templeton)
Date: 23 Sep 1998 12:37:17 -0400
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.reviews

PRODUCT NAME

	Topolino "New Version"

BRIEF DESCRIPTION

	The Topolino is a PC Mouse Adapter. It allows you to plug any
	Microsoft, Logitech, or Mouse Systems compatible serial PC input 
	device into your Amiga's mouse port and use it as if were a 
	standard Amiga mouse.

AUTHOR/COMPANY INFORMATION

	Name:		Feo Electronik GmbH

	Address:	Frisonistr.5
			D-88250 Weingarten
			Germany

	Telephone:	+49-751-5573031

	FAX:		+49-751-5573032

	E-mail:		[email-masked]

	World Wide Web:	www.raach.com

NORTH AMERICAN IMPORTER INFORMATION

	Name:		Wonder Computers International Inc.

	Phone:		613-721-1993

	Fax:		613-721-1994
		      
	E-mail:		[email-masked]

	World Wide Web:	www.wonder.ca

LIST PRICE

	$39.95 USD

DEMO VERSION

	NONE

SPECIAL HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE REQUIREMENTS

	HARDWARE

	Requires a Microsoft, Logitech or Mouse Systems compatible Serial PC
	Input device.

	SOFTWARE

	NONE.

COPY PROTECTION

	NONE

MACHINE USED FOR TESTING

	A2000 rev 4.5 / Bomac Tower (Extra Baby AT 230w Power Supply Option)
	Full ECS Chipset
	1MB Chip RAM
	CSA Derringer 030/50 MMU 882/50 w/32mb 32 bit RAM.
	GVP Series II ROM rev 4.13  w/8mb Fast RAM.
	Toshiba 1.2GB SCSI Hard Drive.
	Maxtor 345s SCSI Hard Drive.
	C= A3070 Tape Drive.
	Toshiba 4x SCSI CD-ROM drive.
	Iomega SCSI ZIP drive.
	1 - Internal C= A3000 High Density Floppy Disk Drive.
	1 - External Golden Image Master 3A-1D 880k Floppy Disk Drive.
	C= 2320 Flicker Fixer.
	Multiface III Multi I/O card.
	C= 1942s BI-Sync Monitor.
	Motorola 56k ModemSURFR external modem.
	Citizen GSX-140 color 24 pin printer.

INSTALLATION

	Turn OFF your Amiga, Plug the Topolino into your Amiga's mouse port,
	plug your serial PC input device into the Topolino, then turn ON your
	Amiga.

	An adapter cable is required for installation on an A2000.

REVIEW

	Every since I purchased a Kensington Expert Mouse for the
	WinTel box at work I have wanted one for my Amiga.  There are
	a few trackballs out there for the Amiga but nothing that
	comes close to the quality of the Kensington Expert Mouse v5.0
	(Trackball).  Most of the hacks available on the Internet for
	converting PC serial devices to the Amiga, require serious
	modifacations to the input device's circuitry. Ripping the
	guts out of a $100 trackball was out of the question.  So I
	settled on using Sermouse v2.21 (available on Aminet).
	Sermouse is a software driver for PC serial input devices.  It
	is a very stable product and works quite well, but it does
	have a couple of drawbacks.  First, it requires you to plug
	your mouse or trackball into the serial port just like on a
	WinTel box.  If you already have a modem plugged to your
	Amiga's serial port you will need to buy an I/O card, like the
	Multiface III or GVP I/O Card. Second, the device is only
	recognized by applications run from Workbench. Which means it
	is useless for games, guru screens, etc..

	Enter the Topolino!

	Here is a quote from the Topolino WEB page:

	"The protocols used by the companies Logitech, Mouse Systems
	and Microsoft are supported, therefore every commercial input
	appliance can be connected."

	"Trackballs, Glidepoints or radio-controlled mice do not cause
	any problems."

	The Topolino works as advertised with the Kensington Expert
	Mouse V5.0 and my cheesy $10, 3 button PC mouse, except I
	could not get the 3rd button to work.  I suspect this was the
	fault of the mouse and not the Topolino.  Most really cheap PC
	mice do not have the MMB connected.

DOCUMENTATION

	No documentation was provided. The company contact info is on
	a very small sticker on the top of the Topolino.

LIKES

	I like the fact, it allows virtually any input device made to
	be used on the Amiga.

DISLIKES AND SUGGESTIONS

	My only complaint is the lack of documentation.

COMPARISON TO OTHER SIMILAR PRODUCTS

	It compares to Sermouse v2.21. Sermouse can be downloaded for
	free from Aminet but it requires a spare serial port.

BUGS

	The "New Version" Topolino appears to be bug free.

	I purchased my original Topolino from Software Hut and it
	would not work with the Kensington Expert Mouse v5.0. In
	addition to the bug with the Kensington Expert Mouse, it had a
	couple of other annoying little bugs.  Sometimes it would
	prevent Magic Menu from working and at the same time kill the
	scroll back buffers in AmIRC.  A cold reboot always fixed this
	problem.

VENDOR SUPPORT

	I contacted the dealer where the original Topolino was
	purchased, (Software Hut) and the North American Importer
	(Wonder Computers in Canada).  Both were very helpful, but
	they did not have the "New Version" Topolino in stock yet.

	I contacted the FEO Electronik about the bugs and they
	indicated they were aware of the problems and had made a "New
	Version" Topolino, but it was not available in the USA at the
	time of this article.  They offered to replace my old version
	Topolino with a new one if I would mail it to them.  I
	returned the Topolino to FEO Electronik and was extremely
	surprised when a new one arrived in less than 3 weeks from
	Germany.

WARRANTY

	There was no documentation or warranty information provided
	with my Topolino.

	FEO Electronik appears to be a company that is willing to
	stand behind their products.  This is very refreshing in a
	shrinking Amiga market.

CONCLUSIONS

	The Topolino is a great idea that has evolved into a GREAT
	product.  It does exactly what it claims.  It allows you to
	use any PC serial input device on your Amiga as if it were a
	normal Amiga mouse.

	It would be nice if the Topolino came in a small Antistatic
	bag and included a one or two page flyer with some
	installation instructions, a list of devices the Topolino has
	been tested with, along with the results, and customer support
	information.

	I rate the Topolino a solid "A".  If they would include the
	documentation mentioned above it would be an "A+".

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

	Copyright 1998 David A. Templeton, [email-masked].

---

   Accepted and posted by Daniel Barrett, comp.sys.amiga.reviews moderator
   Send reviews to:	[email-masked]
   Request information:	[email-masked]
   Moderator mail:	[email-masked]
   Anonymous ftp site:  math.uh.edu, in /pub/Amiga/comp.sys.amiga.reviews
   Web site:		http://math.uh.edu/~barrett/reviews.html