Subject: REVIEW: DKB Ferret SCSI daughterboard for A1200
From: [email-masked] (Christopher Wicklein)
Date: 4 Jun 1996 17:58:58 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.reviews

PRODUCT NAME

	DKB Ferret (tm) (firmware revision of 10/16/95)

BRIEF DESCRIPTION

	SCSI II daughter board for DKB's Amiga 1200 accelerators

AUTHOR/COMPANY INFORMATION

	Name:		DKB
	Address:	P.O. Box 438
			Wixom, Michigan 48393-0438

	Telephone:	(810) 348-3821
	FAX:		(810) 348-3531

LIST PRICE

	$99 (US)

DEMO VERSION

	None

SPECIAL HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE REQUIREMENTS

	HARDWARE
		
		Amiga 1200
		DKB A1200 68030 Accelerator (ex. Cobra, Viper, or Mongoose)

	SOFTWARE
		
		No minimum version of AmigaDOS specified.
		Tested with 3.0; Product claims to be 3.1 compatible

COPY PROTECTION

	None for hardware.
	None for included utility software.

MACHINE USED FOR TESTING

	Amiga 1200
	DKB 1230/28 (Cobra) with 4MB Fast RAM and 68882/28 FPU
	AmigaDOS 3.0 

	Quantum ELS127S hard drive

INSTALLATION

	In theory the Ferret SCSI II option (Ferret hereafter) can be
installed by opening the trap door under the A1200 and attaching it to
one's DKB accelerator, slipping the DB25 SCSI connector past the
accelerator and out the knock-out expansion port space on the back of
one's A1200.  I was forced to dismantle my Amiga to reach the the
things I needed to reach.

	The included partitioning software and utilities are in contrast
fairly easy to use.  It is necessary to run an Installer-based utility
to update the board firmware with the current drivers.

REVIEW

	Installation of the Ferret was somewhat difficult.  It
attaches to a DKB accelerator by a plastic stacking connector held in
place by two screws.  It is necessary to remove the DKB accelerator to
attach the Ferret.  Installation involves aligning the connector,
attaching the screws, and sliding the DB25 connector out to the
knock-out slot on the rear of an A1200.  Once the unit is in place,
the board must be updated to the current driver code with an
Installer-based utility.  This makes future updates simple.

	The Ferret appears simple and well designed.  The DB25
connector is soldered onto the board which is L-shaped.

	Once properly installed, the Ferret should allow use of
"external hard drives, QIC and DAT tape backup units, removable media
drives from manufacturers such as Iomega and Syquest, and CD-ROM
drives."

DOCUMENTATION

	The Ferret includes a ten page manual which documents the
board, installation, and use of the included software.  It includes
pictures to clarify board installation.  The included utility disk
contains a documentation update in the form of a README file.

LIKES

	I was glad to use a SCSI hard disk with my Amiga.  The Ferret
provides a SCSI II host connected directly to the replacement CPU and
FAST RAM.

DISLIKES AND SUGGESTIONS

	Installation is not enjoyable.  I would have liked the board
to have been smaller and the DB-25 connector to be a separate piece
connected to the rear of the machine by a cable and securely fastened
there.

COMPARISON TO OTHER SIMILAR PRODUCTS

	The Ferret is the only SCSI board I've used with an Amiga
computer.  My only other experience with a SCSI adaptor is with the CV
Tech RAMFast SCSI board for Apple II series computers.  I found the
RAMFast board to be more elegant and reliable, which brings me to...

BUGS

	First, since installing the Ferret my Amiga refuses to reset
from the keyboard. I have discovered a work-around.  By tapping
caps-lock while holding down the Amiga keys and the control key, it
usually will reset on the first try.  Sometimes I have to repeat the
sequence a second time.  Removing the Ferret will eliminate this
problem.

	From time to time while performing large reads and or writes
the in-use light on my drive will light and remain lit; the Amiga will
freeze.  I have a work-around: By turning off my hard drive then
turning it back on again, the Amiga will report a disk I/O error; I
cancel the error and the interrupted operation will resume normally. I
have never encountered data loss; this is only a mild inconvenience.
I used this drive on an Apple IIGS for a few years prior to using it
with the Ferret and during that time never had any problems with it.
The Quantum drive is back on my IIGS again and works fine today.

	The connection between the Ferret and the DKB accelerator
seems a bit volatile.  Often if I open my Amiga to service another
sub-system or just accidentally wiggle the DB-25 connector too much,
the Ferret will stop working.  Then I must take my Amiga apart and
clean the connection between the Ferret and the accelerator with
alcohol, finally reassembling everything.  This usually solves the
problem.

	Lastly, the DB-25 connector does not lock into the knock-out
port in away way; it simply rattles around.  Also, my drive cable
doesn't seem to screw into the DB-25 connecter securely.

VENDOR SUPPORT

	When I first receive my Ferret, it would not perform large
writes to my hard drive at all.  After calling DKB I learned that I
had been shipped an older board another customer had returned to my
mail order company without all the necessary parts. DKB gladly sent
out a new installation disk (with updated firmware) and the plastic
stacking connector I was missing.

WARRANTY

	The Ferret is warranted against manufacturing defects for one
year from purchase. DKB will repair or replace a board in warranty
accompanied by a sales receipt.

CONCLUSIONS

	The Ferret board is usable, but it could have been better.
For someone with a DKB accelerator and SCSI devices, the Ferret could
be very useful.  I have since returned my Quantum drive to my Apple
IIGS and installed a 2.5" IDE drive inside my Amiga.  The IDE
interface is generally more reliable and trouble free.

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

	Copyright 1996 Christopher Wicklein
	contact: [email-masked]

---

   Accepted and posted by Daniel Barrett, comp.sys.amiga.reviews moderator
   Send reviews to:	[email-masked]
   Request information:	[email-masked]
   Moderator mail:	[email-masked]
   Anonymous ftp site:  math.uh.edu, in /pub/Amiga/comp.sys.amiga.reviews
   Web site: ftp://math.uh.edu/pub/Amiga/comp.sys.amiga.reviews/index.html