Subject: REVIEW: Bernoulli MultiDisk 150 Insider removable media drive
From: [email-masked] (Dean Ridgway)
Date: 15 Sep 1994 12:06:01 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.reviews

PRODUCT NAME

	Bernoulli MultiDisk 150 Insider.

	[MODERATOR'S NOTE:  This review was updated on Nov 17, 1994.
	Search for the text "[UPDATE:" to find updated information.
	-Dan]

BRIEF DESCRIPTION

	The Bernoulli MultiDisk 150 is a 150-megabyte, SCSI-2 compliant,
removable cartridge disk drive.  The "Insider" is the internal version.  The
external, transportable version is called "The Box."

AUTHOR/COMPANY INFORMATION

	Name:		Iomega Corporation              Iomega Europe GmbH
	Address:	1821 West Iomega Way            Botzinger Strasse 48
			Roy, Utah  84067-9977           79111 Freiburg
			USA                             Germany

	Phone:		(801) 778-3000                  49 (0) 761-45040
	FAX:		(801) 778-3460                  49 (0) 761-4504414

	EMail:		[email-masked]

	There is also an unbelievably large number of world wide, toll free,
telephone numbers for support in a dozen different countries.  They are
listed on the back of the installation guide, shipping carton, and on the
label of the supplied disk (more on this later, see DISLIKES).  Iomega also
has contact points on CompuServe, AppleLink, America Online, and their own
BBS.

LIST PRICE

	The list price according to AC's Guide Summer 1994 edition is $699
(US) for the external version, the list price for the internal version is
$599 (US) according to a phone conversation with Iomega Customer Service.
Since I bought mine through an authorized dealer, I paid almost the full list
price.  You could probably do much better mail order.

	I'm not sure what the list prices are for cartridges, but I have
seen additional 150 megabyte cartridges around $119 to $129 semi-locally.
Again you could probably do much better by mail order (MEI Micro just started
carrying them at $99.97 each, and less in quantity).

SPECIAL HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE REQUIREMENTS

	HARDWARE

		A SCSI interface is required.  Some older SCSI interfaces
		may also require a firmware upgrade.

	SOFTWARE

		None.

COPY PROTECTION

	None.

SPECIFICATIONS (from company literature)

	Transfer Rate:
		Synchronous    Up to 40 megabits/second.
		Asynchronous   Up to 24 megabits/second.
		Burst          Up to 15.33 megabits/second.
		Sustained      Up to 13.33 megabits/second.

	Effective Access Time        18 ms.

	Seek time
		Minimum               2 msec.
		Average              25 msec.
		Maximum              50 msec.

	Latency                      12.7 msec.
	Spindle Speed             2,363 rpm.

	Track-to-Track Access Time    3.5 msec.
	Average Head Switch Time      6 msec.
	Head Reload Time            165 msec.
	Average Start/Stop Time   5 / 3 seconds.

	Cache buffer                256k (read/write).
	InterLeave                  1:1

	Long Format                   5 minutes.

	MTBF                    175,000 hours.
	Service Life                  5 years.

	Media drop height/shock       2.44 meters (8ft) / 1000g.
	Estimated media shelf life   10 years.

	The Bernoulli MultiDisk 150 is read, write, and format compatible
with the 150, 105, 65, 35, and 90 (at reduced performance) megabyte
cartridges.  The 44 megabyte cartridge is handled as read-only, and the 20
megabyte cartridge is not supported.

MACHINE USED FOR TESTING

	Amiga 500 (Rev 5a, ECS Agnus, Normal Denise, NTSC).
	AmigaDOS 2.04 (KickStart 37.175 / WorkBench 37.67).
	Hurricane 500 accelerator (14mhz 68020 CPU, 16mhz 68881 FPU).
	512k Chip RAM, 2.5 MEG Fast RAM (16 bit), 1 MEG Fast RAM (32 bit).
	Supra (old style two piece) SCSI interface, software version 3.8a.
	Quantum P40S 40 megabyte hard drive.
	CDC Wren 94171-344 308 megabyte hard drive.
	Caliper CP-150 250 megabyte tape streamer.

WHY A REMOVABLE?

	With the price of relatively large hard drives dropping almost daily,
this is getting to be a rather hard question to answer.  My current hardware
is becoming unreliable (the Quantum is slowly dying of stiction, and the CDC
Wren has drive motor problems resulting in lots of soft errors), and both
will eventually need replacing.

	While I don't need to transport large quantities of data around (I'd
use the tape streamer if I did), I do have quite a few projects that occupy
my time, and I thought that a removable gave me the best flexibility with
near infinite future expansion.  Until I wear it out, it will be the last
drive I'll ever have to buy.

THE QUEST

	Having decided to buy a Bernoulli, I now had to find one.  The local
stores I frequent carry only SyQuest.  For my own reasons, I did not want to
buy one through a mail order house, so I started calling the major computer
stores within 100 miles and finally found one that carries them.  After
confirming on the phone that they were in stock, on the shelf, and were
SCSI, I grabbed Mr. VISA and drove off.  Once I got to the store, I found
that what they had was a special external IBM "PC Powered" version.  Special
IBM and Macintosh versions of devices are notorious for implementing a
proprietary variant of SCSI that is not true SCSI but is marketed as such.
These devices usually will not work with anything except the matching
proprietary interface they are sold with.  I did not know if this was the
case with the "PC Powered" version or not, but I decided not to take the
chance of buying it because I would have had to remove the mechanism from
its external case, which would have made returning it "difficult" had it not
worked.  I drove home disappointed and driveless.

	Once home, I called Iomega's toll free number that is listed in AC's
Summer _Guide_to_the_Commodore_Amiga_ (1-800-4THEBOX).  I asked the
receptionist that answered the phone if he could find me a local dealer.  He
was very courteous and asked for my zip code which I supplied.  He then gave
me the name and phone number for a local dealer only ten miles away.

	Once again on the phone, I called the local dealer and found out that
they do not normally have Bernoulli drives in stock, but could special order
them.  I had the drive in my hands less than six days later.

	One week later I was calling a few other places looking for a store
that has additional 150 megabyte cartridges in stock (I had already filled
the initial cartridge getting ready to retire the CDC Wren).  I found
another dealer thirty miles away which not only normally carries the drives
in stock, but sells them for MUCH less than I paid.  I paid $550 for my
Insider and this other dealer sells them for $520 which INCLUDES
installation (on an IBM I assume) and TWO 150 megabyte cartridges.  This
means that by being impatient I got overcharged by $170 (assuming $120 for
an additional cartridge and $50 for installation (the going rate around here
for CD-ROMs)).

	Moral of the story?  Asking if a device is SCSI is no longer a
guarantee that its fully SCSI compliant.  Grill the salesperson extensively,
especially if you have to travel any great distance.  If you have problems
finding Bernoulli products and decide to call the company for help, don't
ask for the closest dealer like I did, get a list of close dealers.  It
could save you a considerable sum.  Live and learn.

UNPACKING

	The Bernoulli 150 Insider comes with a 5.25" half-height internal
drive, one 150 megabyte Bernoulli disk, an internal data cable (SCSI 50 pin
ribbon - about 21" long), four mounting screws, driver software for MS-DOS
and Windows, and a skimpy installation guide.

	Mounting rails and brackets are NOT supplied.

INSTALLATION

	[MODERATOR'S NOTE:  If you are not comfortable opening up your
	Amiga, then you should have the work done by an authorized Amiga
	service center.  Opening your Amiga yourself may void your warranty,
	and careless work may even damage the machine.  - Dan]

	Although I have an Amiga 500, I have an old DIGITAL dual floppy drive
case (double-wide full-height) and an IBM 200 watt power supply, so I
decided to buy the Bernoulli internal version.  This decision saved me
exactly $100 off the price of the external.

	The Bernoulli Insider has an exposed electronics board on top as
well as an exposed drive motor flywheel.  These factors could affect where
you decide to mount the drive if you have dangling wires in any of your
drive bays.

	My Bernoulli came jumpered as SCSI ID #2, and I left it there since
that was my next available device opening.  I might note here that there is
an apparent error printed in the installation guide showing where the
jumpers are for controlling SCSI ID.  The diagram of the jumper block has
SCSI Address jumpers labeled as D, P, and A2; however, the SCSI ID table
printed next to it showed them labeled as A2, A1, and A0.  The latter made
more sense, so I believed the table.  Once initial testing started, the drive
indeed came up as SCSI ID #2, confirming that the table was correct.  The
Caliper tape drive is my last physical device, so I removed the jumper
labeled TC, controlling SCSI termination, which is set "on" by default by the
factory.

	The CDC Wren drive takes up one full-height bay, so I mounted the
Bernoulli on the bottom of the other bay through its bottom mounting holes
(the DIGITAL floppy drive case does not have side mount holes or brackets
for half-height devices).  I had to pierce a plastic insulating sheet to
allow the screws access to their holes.  The supplied screws are for
attaching drive rails or direct mounting through the side mount holes and
were a tiny bit too short to reach up through the bottom of the drive case.
I had to purchase some 3/4" screws at a local hardware store and cut them
down to fit.

	The Bernoulli Insider must also be externally grounded.  Normally, it
would be grounded through metal-to-metal contact via the side mounting holes
(unless rails are used).  Since my drive bay is not electrically grounded, I
connected a wire to a supplied grounding tab near the rear of the drive and
screwed it to the outside case of my IBM power supply.  After the initial
testing I disconnected everything so I could fully reassemble the drive
case.  Somehow I forgot to reconnect the grounding wire, and the Bernoulli
flashed an error code refusing to work until the grounding wire was
reattached.

	I now have one remaining half-height bay for the CD-ROM drive I want
to buy later this year. :-)

APPEARANCE

	The Bernoulli MultiDisk 150 Insider has an attractive, off-white
color front bezel that matches the rest of my equipment pretty closely.  The
front panel has a dark blue eject button and two status indicator lights. 
One LED (on the left of the eject button) is green and flashes while the
drive spins up or down and glows steady while a cartridge is in the drive.
This indicator will go dark when it is safe to remove the cartridge.  The
other LED (on the right of the eject button) is amber and is a standard
drive read/write activity indicator.

	Bernoulli disk cartridges look a lot like 5.25" versions of 3.5"
floppy disks.  They have a tough rigid plastic outer shell with a spring
loaded metal shutter which opens to expose the media when the cartridge is
inserted in the drive.  They also have a slide switch on one side for write
enable/protect.  The disk that was shipped with the drive came in a simple
cardboard sleeve but disks you buy separately come in a plastic "clam shell"
style disk case.

PREPPING/FORMATTING/PARTITIONING

	Bernoulli disk cartridges come preformated for IBM MS-DOS and you
should NEVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES EVER bulk erase a cartridge.  Doing so
will DESTROY the servo control tracks laid down by the factory, rendering the
disk completely unusable.

	After installing the drive and inserting the initial cartridge, I
had to rewrite its Rigid Disk Block with partitioning information so the
Amiga would see it as an Amiga device.  The software for my controller
(SupraHDTools v3.8) makes this very easy with a simple GUI interface. 
Clicking on a couple of gadgets prepped the cartridge for use (no need to do
an AmigaDOS format).  I prepped the initial disk as a single partition and
ended up with 150,919,680 bytes free.

	According to many Internet newsgroup articles, all removable media
must have the same partition geometry for all disks, otherwise you risk the
possibility of data loss.  Changing to a disk that has a different partition
setup requires a Control-Amiga-Amiga soft boot to reinitialize the system to
the new partition information.  I have placed Avery self-adhesive 1/4"
colored dots on my two cartridges.  This way if I ever have to have a
different partition setup, I will know by color which disks can be safely
swapped and which ones will require a soft boot.

OPERATION

	Using a removable media drive is somewhat like using a gigantic
floppy drive, although there are a few differences and quirks depending on
what SCSI controller you are using.

	On my system (Supra controller), if I boot the system with a
cartridge in the drive, it comes up like a regular drive with an icon on the
WorkBench screen.  If I boot the system with no cartridge in the drive,
however, then the drive is not mounted and is invisible to the system.  SCSI
snooper programs will see it on the bus (SCSI specs REQUIRE devices to
respond to an INQUIRE), but it can't be accessed.  Once a cartridge is
inserted, it gets "auto-mounted" after about 20 seconds, but still no icon
appears on the Workbench screen until after the first access to the drive
(for ANY reason; directory, read, write, etc) from a shell.

	Swapping cartridges or changing the read/write switch on the current
cartridge requires that I issue a DISKCHANGE command.  I have been in contact
with another Bernoulli owner on the Internet, and he uses a GVP controller
and does not have to use DISKCHANGE.

READING IBM CARTRIDGES

	After purchasing my second cartridge, I decided to try and read the
IBM-format README text file of additional information which is on each
preformated cartridge.  Questions on being able to read cartridges on both
the Amiga and an IBM comes up pretty frequently, and I have kept several
mountlists that have been published on comp.sys.amiga.hardware, but I have
yet to get one to function. I have the old read-only demo version of
CrossDOS and apparently you need the very latest commercial version.  I have
also tried PD/ShareWare ones such as MSH v1.30 with no success.

PERFORMANCE

	Bernoulli drives have some fairly impressive specifications, so I
decided to run a disk performance benchmark and compare it with my Quantum
P40S.  I realize that benchmarks are not very reliable, but I figured that
using the same benchmark program on the same system setup would provide a
reasonably close comparison.

	I choose DiskSpeed v4.0 by Michael Sinz, mainly because it was the
benchmark program that I had available.  To save space, I have deleted most
of the test results using different size buffers and CHIP/FAST memory
configurations.  I'll do my Quantum first.  I used my Mail partition (DH2:)
since both my System partition (DH0:) and my User partition (DH1:) are both
software cached with DynamiCache, which would skew the results....

MKSoft DiskSpeed 4.0 - Copyright (C) 1989-91 MKSoft Development
-------------------------------------------------------------
CPU: 68020  OS Version: 37.175  Normal Video DMA
Device: DH2:   Buffers: 32

CPU Speed Rating: 614

Testing directory manipulation speed.
File Create:           16 files/sec  |  CPU Available: 36%
File Open:             49 files/sec  |  CPU Available: 13%
Directory Scan:       158 files/sec  |  CPU Available: 9%
File Delete:           99 files/sec  |  CPU Available: 13%

Seek/Read:             42 seeks/sec  |  CPU Available: 41%

Testing with a 512 byte buffer.  (LONG-aligned, MEMF_FAST)
Create file:        27728 bytes/sec  |  CPU Available: 31%
Write to file:      27277 bytes/sec  |  CPU Available: 34%
Read from file:     89897 bytes/sec  |  CPU Available: 11%

[...snip...]

Testing with a 262144 byte buffer.  (LONG-aligned, MEMF_FAST)
Create file:       329514 bytes/sec  |  CPU Available: 28%
Write to file:     578258 bytes/sec  |  CPU Available: 12%
Read from file:    600088 bytes/sec  |  CPU Available: 5%

[...snip...]

Average CPU Available: 27%  |  CPU Availability index: 166

...and now for the Bernoulli...

MKSoft DiskSpeed 4.0 - Copyright (C) 1989-91 MKSoft Development
-------------------------------------------------------------
CPU: 68020  OS Version: 37.175  Normal Video DMA
Device: FH0:   Buffers: 32

CPU Speed Rating: 614

Testing directory manipulation speed.
File Create:           26 files/sec  |  CPU Available: 16%
File Open:             65 files/sec  |  CPU Available: 4%
Directory Scan:       194 files/sec  |  CPU Available: 3%
File Delete:          114 files/sec  |  CPU Available: 3%

Seek/Read:             53 seeks/sec  |  CPU Available: 28%

Testing with a 512 byte buffer.  (LONG-aligned, MEMF_FAST)
Create file:        46289 bytes/sec  |  CPU Available: 19%
Write to file:      50074 bytes/sec  |  CPU Available: 22%
Read from file:     96423 bytes/sec  |  CPU Available: 3%

[...snip...]

Testing with a 262144 byte buffer.  (LONG-aligned, MEMF_FAST)
Create file:       477145 bytes/sec  |  CPU Available: 26%
Write to file:     750848 bytes/sec  |  CPU Available: 9%
Read from file:    780577 bytes/sec  |  CPU Available: 9%

[...snip...]

Average CPU Available: 18%  |  CPU Availability index: 111

	If I am reading this correctly, the Bernoulli is somewhat faster
than the Quantum BUT requires much more raw CPU power.  This extreme CPU
usage made itself known while using telecommunications.  I found that I
would occasionally lose a character on the serial port while writing very
large (>1 megabyte) files to the Bernoulli.  I can download to the Bernoulli
with no problem, and after the first day of playing around, I haven't
noticed this again since I normally don't move huge files around while
on-line.  If it ever becomes a problem, I can use a utility (SupraTune,
supplied with my SCSI interface) to tweak the tradeoff between drive
performance and CPU availability.

DOCUMENTATION

	The Bernoulli comes with a simple, 4-page, half-size installation
guide and user reference.  The installation part covers what is in the
shipping carton, (IBM) system requirements, a brief overview of how to set
the SCSI ID and SCSI terminator, and briefly information on physically
installing the drive in an IBM.  If you have ever seen your computer taken
apart, you should have no difficulty grasping the concepts of "insert in
opening, attach cables, tighten down screws."  The only "gotcha" I noticed is
the error in the jumper block diagram for setting SCSI ID (this has already
been mentioned above under INSTALLATION).  The user reference part simply
covers how to insert and remove a disk cartridge properly.

	There is also a simple, 4-page, half-size setup and reference guide
for the included IBM software.  I did not really look too closely at this
since I don't need the drivers and can't run the utility software.  But it
basically covers installing the IBM system drivers (the really "fun" part of
installing things on an IBM) and a brief overview of the included utility
software.  Apparently there is a full manual for the utility software
included on the HD floppy, but I currently have no way to read that.

	The _MultiDisk_150_Technical_Description_Manual_ that I ordered from
Iomega customer service arrived after about a week.  Its approximately 110
pages of technical information, the last 84 pages being the supported SCSI
command set that I was after.

	The inside cover is stamped MARCH 1993 and some of the information
is slightly out of date.  For example, figure 3-12 shows the location of the
SCSI terminator packs and how to remove them.  My Bernoulli controls SCSI
termination through a jumper.

	The tech guide also covers some items that I think should be
mentioned in the user documentation shipped with the drive.  For example, you
should never leave a disk partially inserted in the drive, for it could
damage both the disk and the drive (I started doing this a few times before
the manual came).  It also covers how to remove a cartridge stuck in the
drive due to a power failure.  People familiar with Macintosh stuck disks
might be tempted to simply insert their straightened paperclip "MacTool" in
the pinhole, but there are other things that must be done first before
trying to release the locking solenoids.  If you don't follow the procedure,
you can push that paperclip in the pinhole till you are blue in the face
without getting the disk to release.

	The last two thirds of the tech guide covers the SCSI interface and
command set (the reason I wanted it).  Its not lite reading;  if you have
ever looked at the ANSI SCSI-2 draft, you will know what this last section
reads like.  It's pretty easy, actually; I had a simple utility program
functioning within a few days.  I will continue to add more features, and
eventually I hope to release it to Aminet.

LIKES

	I really like the Bernoulli.  It's flexible, has infinite expansion
possibilities, is quiet, and is very fast.  Though it's not cheap.
Factoring the cost of the drive itself and two cartridges, I'm currently
running about $2.23 a megabyte.  This will come down as I acquire more
cartridges.

DISLIKES AND SUGGESTIONS

	The only real gripe I have at present is that the labels on the disk
cartridges have no real place to write anything.  The label itself is 1.75"
x 4.25", but it is covered by Iomega's large list of toll free world wide
customer support telephone numbers, the gold standard seal, and the large
words "Bernoulli MultiDisk 150," leaving only a tiny 0.25" x 2.25" window to
write anything.  This pretty much limits you to a non-descriptive volume
name or number.  I have decided just to number my disks and then tape more
descriptive information onto the disk case.

	I also think that more complete user documentation could have been
included (see DOCUMENTATION).

	I've had the tech reference guide for about a week now, and with only
moderate usage, the glued binding is starting to come apart already.

COMPARISON TO OTHER SIMILAR PRODUCTS

	The only real competitor that I am aware of is SyQuest.  While a
SyQuest is a true removable hard drive functioning much like a regular hard
drive, a Bernoulli is actually a floppy disk based system which uses the
"Bernoulli effect" (a difference in air pressure) to pull a tiny pip of the
media up to the read/write head.  This makes a hard head crash nearly
impossible, as any contamination on the media will cause a loss of pressure
at that point and the media will fall away from the head.

	After reading some Internet newsgroup articles and a couple of
magazine articles, I decided to buy a Bernoulli rather than a SyQuest mainly
because Bernoulli disk cartridges have a reputation for being more robust
and have a better environmental seal against dust and other contaminants
while not in use.  Living where I do (in back of a gravel yard where
construction machines are stored and rumble around all day), I have major
dust problems.

	Iomega recommends that you remove the disk cartridge from the drive
whenever the system is turned off or if the drive will not be used for an
extended period of time.  I am assuming that this is to allow the disk
cartridge shutter to close and help keep contaminates off the media.  On the
other hand, I have seen SyQuest cartridges just left in the drive for months
at a time; unless they are being prepped for shipment or swapped with
another cartridge, there is really no reason to remove them.

	[UPDATE:  Colin Gould <[email-masked]> reports that according
	to Gary Chow at Syquest, "the heads in the older 44/88 megabyte
	drives do NOT automatically park and disengage from the disk if you
	simply turn the Syquest drive off and leave the cartridge inside.
	If left this way for a extended time, the heads might stick due to
	condensation, etc., the next time the drive is started.  So, it is
	recommended to fully eject a cartridge from the drive while the
	power is on, before turning it off.  This will fully retract the
	heads, etc.  Apparently, once this is done, you could re-insert the
	cartridge into the drive again while it is still off and things
	would be fine. (I have no idea about dust though, it would probably
	be safer to store the cartridge properly.)  The newer 105MB+ drives
	apparently do have back-EMF powered head parking, so this is not as
	much of a problem."  - Dan]

	Since Bernoulli disks are not rigid media, they are somewhat less
susceptible to shock damage.  In fact, they are advertised to survive being
thrown out of a car at 60 MPH with no data loss, but considering the cost of
cartridges, I have decided not to do this test at home. :-)

BUGS

	The Bernoulli has an auto-sleep function.  To save wear and tear on
the media, the disk spins down after 30 minutes of non-use.  On the next
access the drive will spin back up automatically.  Some people on Internet
have mentioned that when using the Bernoulli on a SCSI controller that
supports drive reselection you MUST NOT have reselection set for the
Bernoulli or the drive won't spin back up again and will lock up the SCSI
bus.  Since my Supra does not support reselection I do not have this problem,
but I thought I would mention it.

	One minor glitch I've noticed recently, when you are deep in a nested
directory structure with a GUI directory utility and click on the "ROOT"
button with the cartridge removed, it will OCCASIONALLY crash the system:
sometimes with a GURU 8000 0005, and sometimes with a frozen mouse pointer,
SCSI bus, and keyboard (although some background tasks appear to continue to
run).  Normally you would expect the "No disk present in device FH0"
requestor.  If the system doesn't crash, I will usually get the "You MUST
replace volume Work in device FH0 !!" requestor instead.  I can't get this
to happen consistently, and I've never been able to get it to take place from
a CLI, but it does occur now and then.  I just happened to run across this
by accident after forgetting I had a DIR utility running in the background
and it tried to read the root directory (I had removed the cartridge
earlier) when I re-activated it.  It's not something I consider a problem,
although it did cost me about an hour of work on this review.

VENDOR SUPPORT

	The Bernoulli has a bunch of nifty SCSI Direct utility commands for
setting the amount of time before auto-sleep spin down, locking a cartridge
in the drive, ejecting a cartridge, etc.  These are sent using the supplied
utility driver software which will only run on an IBM.  I figured I could
hack together my own software if I had a list of the commands.  I sent a
message to Iomega's EMail address on Thursday asking for the utility SCSI
command list.  I had a reply on Monday stating that Iomega would not give me
such a list, but would sell me a Technical Reference Guide on the drive
(which has a section containing a full list of SCSI commands) for $33.

	I then called Customer Service's "800" number and was put on hold
for about three minutes.  I was told (by a tape recorded message while on
hold) that Iomega has recently released an IDE version of the MultiDisk 150
and it's quite a hot seller, and they apologize for the inconvenience.  The
service representative that answered the phone then took my order for the
Tech Ref guide and a drive cleaning kit (probably not needed, since I have
never cleaned my floppies or my tape streamer, but I would like one on hand
anyway).

	I may not have liked spending the additional $33, but I have found
all my dealings with Iomega Customer Service (either through EMail, or
phone) to be fairly prompt and always very courteous.  I am quite impressed
with the level of support I have received (of course I did not have any
technical problems that needed solving).

WARRANTY

	All Bernoulli MultiDisk products have the standard "free from
defects in material and workmanship" limited warranty for two years from
date of shipment (from Iomega or authorized reseller), except for certified
"Gold Standard" Bernoulli disks which enjoy a five year warranty.

CONCLUSIONS

	I really enjoy my new Bernoulli drive, and I rate it at 7 out of
10.  It has a few quirks, but is very usable and stable.  I take points off
for unavailability of the product in this area (it's difficult to find in
stores locally and there is a high market visibility of SyQuest products),
the error in the SCSI ID jumper diagram in the installation guide (might
cause someone some headaches), slightly inadequate documentation,
unavailability of the SCSI commands (available to IBM/Windows users through
supplied utility software, I had to purchase a "Technical Reference Guide"
from Iomega for an additional $33+shipping and program my own), and the tiny
label area on each disk.

	No points were subtracted for losing characters during
telecommunications, as I think this is probably more a problem with my
current system configuration than the Bernoulli itself which is a SCSI-2
device running on a SCSI-1 interface.  Time will tell on this one.

	The bottom line:  would I buy more Bernoulli products in the future?
Most definitely yes.

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

	This review is freely distributable on all media as long as it is
not modified in any way.  All opinions expressed are those of the author,
and not those of Iomega Corporation, or any other business.

	Copyright 1994 by Dean Ridgway.  All rights reserved.

Dean Ridgway                    |  Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-
InterNet [email-masked]  |  I took the one less traveled by,
FidoNet 1:357/1.103             |  And that has made all the difference.
CIS 73225,512                   |       "The Road Not Taken" - Robert Frost.

---

   Daniel Barrett, Moderator, comp.sys.amiga.reviews
   Send reviews to:	[email-masked]
   Request information:	[email-masked]
   Moderator mail:	[email-masked]
   Anonymous ftp site:  math.uh.edu, in /pub/Amiga/comp.sys.amiga.reviews