Subject: REVIEW: Weird Science Network CD-ROM (MINI-REVIEW)
From: [email-masked] (Robin Edwards)
Date: 21 Jun 1994 16:54:00 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.reviews

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
%% Weird Science Network CD-ROM                       by Robin Edwards %%
%%                                          [email-masked] %%
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

	I have found a new CD from Weird Science and simply MUST tell the
whole Amiga world about it. As its name suggests, it is a CD of networking
utilities for the CD32, CDTV, A570 and other CD-ROM devices.

	Put simply, this is THE MOST USEFUL CD I HAVE EVER COME ACROSS!! It
doesn't do anything spectacular, or anything that you or I couldn't have
come up with; but it does it, does it well, and does it for a bargain price!

	From a CD32 point of view (for that is what I own), the disc
autoboots, sets up all of the configuration stuff for Parnet, Sernet,
TwinExpress and some CLI-based file transfer programs. It also disables the
reset mode of the CD32 so you can take CDs out whilst still using Workbench.
It uses a heavily customised, quite attractive desktop that is easy to use.
(I think it uses "MagicWB".) 

	The main advantages of using this over setting up a RAD-based
Workbench are that it sets itself up quickly, and doesn't use up precious
RAM.  In fact, it almost gives you a fully usable (albeit portless) A1200.
Using Sernet or Twin Express on my A500+ over a null modem cable means I can
have a full-fledged network up and running in about a minute - fab!

	Also included on the disk are 500 very high quality images of
animals, cars vistas, people, etc., the best image viewers/converters around,
a large section of the latest Fred Fish disks, a Photo CD viewer (that
works!), and numerous other toys and utilities.

	I cannot say it enough (although I've tried):  if you have a CD-ROM
machine, and particularly if you have another Amiga, you need this CD.  It
only cost me 15 UK Pounds from a United PD distributor (you should be able
to get it from any good CD supplier) and has made my computing life a lot
easier.

	Ten out of ten stars for the Weird Science Network CD. I want to
have its babies!

		Weird Science
		1 Rowlandson Close
		Brackenfield Chase
		Leicestershire
		LE4 2SE
		England

Robman

---

   Daniel Barrett, Moderator, comp.sys.amiga.reviews
   Send reviews to:	[email-masked]
   Request information:	[email-masked]
   Moderator mail:	[email-masked]
   Anonymous ftp site:  math.uh.edu, in /pub/Amiga/comp.sys.amiga.reviews