Subject: REVIEW: Envoy 2.0b networking software
From: [email-masked] (Stephen Bridges)
Date: 24 Dec 1996 15:15:51 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.reviews

PRODUCT NAME

	Envoy 2.0b

BRIEF DESCRIPTION

	Networking software for use with any networking hardware with
standard SANA-II drivers.

AUTHOR/COMPANY INFORMATION

	Name:		Intangible Assets Manufacturing
	Address:	828 Ormond Avenue
			Drexel Hill PA 19026-2604
			USA

	FAX:		(610) 853-3733	(technical support)
	E-Mail:		[email-masked] (technical support)

	Envoy is Copyright 1985-1993 Commodore-Amiga, Inc.
	All changes in Envoy from 1.6a to 2.0 are:
	Copyright 1994-1995 Intangible Assets Manufacturing.

LIST PRICE

	$54.95 (US)

SPECIAL HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE REQUIREMENTS

	HARDWARE
	
		Sane use of Amiga Envoy requires two or more Amiga
		computers. :-)

		One megabyte of RAM on each system is required;
		more is recommended.

		At least one machine must have a hard disk.  Hard disk
		installation requires 300K free in SYS:.

		Each Amiga to be networked must have similar
		networking hardware with a SANA-II driver.

	SOFTWARE

		Each Amiga must be running at least AmigaOS 2.04.  

MACHINES USED FOR TESTING

	A1200T
	Blizzard 1230IV/SCSI
	Multiface III
	Kickstart 3.0
	Workbench 3.0  

	A3000
	Picasso II+
	Kickstart 3.1
	Workbench 3.0

	Connected by their parallel ports with magPLIP 37.8
	(written by Marius G. Groeger, available on Aminet in comm/net)

INSTALLATION

	Envoy uses the standard Amiga Installer program.  If you are
planning to use a Commodore Ethernet Card or the new AmiLink
Networking hardware (which uses the floppy ports) then the
installation goes off without a hitch.  If like me you want to use
either the serial or parallel ports with a PD SANA-II driver, then you
are asked a couple of awkward questions about IP and ARP packets.
Also the Installer didn't ask about setting driver unit numbers which
in my case caused some confusion.  Though this was easily changed in
the configuration program after installation.

REVIEW

	Amiga Envoy is the standard networking software package for
the Amiga.  With it, Amigas can transparently share files and
printers.

	After installation I had to run the export filesystem
configuration program, on each computer, and decide which volumes and
directories I wanted the other machine to "see".  Then I had to run
the import filesystem configuration program, on both machines, and
choice which volumes or directories that that computer will mount.

	Each volume that I imported to a machine (exported by the
other) was given a DOSDriver, and these can be put in Devs:DOSDrivers
or WBStartup to be run at start-up.  The only problem that I found was
that the two computers would boot at different rates, and the A1200T
would not find the A3000's hard drive and would stop until the A3000
caught up.

When finally set up the network works perfectly, with the A3000's
volumes appearing on the A1200T and visa-versa.  As I'm using the
(built in) parallel ports, the transfer speed isn't marvelous, but
is quite acceptable at 30K/sec.  This isn't a problem with Envoy but
with the hardware I am using.

	I have a SCSI CD-ROM drive and Zip drive attached to the
A1200T and these are exported to the A3000, where all the disk changes
are recognised, and the new names of the disks displayed.  Cool.

	I have an Internet connection (on the A1200T/Multiface) with
AmiTCP, running at start-up, and there are no compatibility problems
at all.  In fact I am able to download files, from the .net, direct to
a directory on the A3000.

	Setting up a shared printer is much the same as a filesystem, with
one machine exporting the printer and the other importing it.  I was
worried that as my printer is connected to the MultiFace III card
on the A1200T, (which means I have to run a patch to redirect the
output from the parallel.device to pit.device) and that I would have
problems.  But no, when network printing is enabled the A3000 quite
happily uses the A1200T's printer.

	There are plenty of security features, but as they are not
covered in the dismal guide I cannot comment on whether they work or
not.  But as both machines are mine and are in the same room, this
doesn't matter to me.

DOCUMENTATION

	No manual was included in the package.  The only document is
an AmigaGuide file.  This may be a fine "green" move by the authors
but I really like to have something to read on the toilet. :-)

	The AmigaGuide file is not even a complete guide to Envoy's
inner workings as it quite happily states at the beginning.  The
authors recommend that you buy another of their products (a book) to
learn about the more complex workings of Envoy.  THIS IS A RIP OFF.

SUPPORT

	I have had no need of technical support, but the guide states;

	"Intangible Assets Manufacturing offers no free telephone
support for Envoy.  Questions will be answered in the UseNet
comp.sys.amiga.networking newsgroup, and in the Communications section
of the CompuServe AmigaUser forum.  IAM also offers free technical
support via email, fax and mail."

LIKES

	Once setup the "networking" becomes invisible, the other computers
drives/volumes appear to be on your machine.

DISLIKES AND SUGGESTIONS

	As mentioned before, the documentation REALLY needs improving.

COMPARISON TO OTHER SIMILAR PRODUCTS

	I've never tried anything similar so I am unable to comment.

WARRANTY

	From the documentation; 

	"The product is provided "as is" without warranty of any
kind....  The entire risk as to use, results and performance of the
product is assumed by you and should the product prove to be
defective, you assume the entire cost of all necessary servicing,
repair or other remediation."

	Though I assume that faulty disks would be exchanged by the vendor.

CONCLUSIONS

	In the end it worked well and does everything I want.  It's just a
pity about the docs. 4 out of 5

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

	Copyright 1996 Stephen Bridges <[email-masked]>

---

   Accepted and posted by Daniel Barrett, comp.sys.amiga.reviews moderator
   Send reviews to:	[email-masked]
   Request information:	[email-masked]
   Moderator mail:	[email-masked]
   Anonymous ftp site:  math.uh.edu, in /pub/Amiga/comp.sys.amiga.reviews
   Web site: ftp://math.uh.edu/pub/Amiga/comp.sys.amiga.reviews/index.html