Subject: MINI-REVIEW: MessySID
From: [email-masked] (Richard Smith)
Date: 18 Oct 1994 17:09:47 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.reviews

For this week's effort, I shall be giving a few brief thoughts on
the MESSYSID11 PD package, which is available from all PD libraries (i.e.,
17Bit, UBS, etc.).  This package is generally very good, but the best feature
has to be the PC-to-Amiga (or vice versa) file translation.  This enables a
lowly A500 with a free package (e.g., Interword-free on the cover of CU
Amiga) to be used as a workhorse for producing some really professional
output on a high end PC.  This may suit some students, like me, who have
an Amiga and cannot afford to buy a PC.

	There are difficulties, however, because some packages have
difficulty in reading the output.  The only safe route I have found is using
Interword on the Amiga and saving the file in ASCII; then, the transfer to PC
can then be read by WordPerfect.  It cannot, however, be read by Word for
Windows.  This presents some difficulties as most networks only use Word.
The only way around this is to use Translation software on some of the
latest editions of WordPerfect - yet not all networks have these; e.g.,
Durham.

	Cheers!

- Richard Smith
  [email-masked]

---

   Daniel Barrett, Moderator, comp.sys.amiga.reviews
   Send reviews to:	[email-masked]
   Request information:	[email-masked]
   Moderator mail:	[email-masked]
   Anonymous ftp site:  math.uh.edu, in /pub/Amiga/comp.sys.amiga.reviews