Subject: REVIEW: Nerv version 1.0
From: [email-masked] (Stefan Schulz [Inf.])
Date: 26 Jul 1994 21:10:29 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.reviews

PRODUCT NAME

	Nerv, version 1.0

BRIEF DESCRIPTION

	Nerv simulates working with an unregistered shareware program.

AUTHOR/COMPANY INFORMATION

	Name:		KLOAKE Soft
	Address:	<none given>

	E-mail:		[email-masked]

LIST PRICE

	Shareware: 30.- DEM (German currency only).

	Available on Aminet (pub/aminet/util/misc/Nerv.lha on
wuarchive.wustl.edu and possibly other mirror sites).

SPECIAL HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE REQUIREMENTS

	HARDWARE
		
		Kickstart 37.175 or higher (AmigaDOS 2.04 or higher).

	SOFTWARE
		
		exec.library
		dos.library
		intuition.library

COPY PROTECTION

	None.

MACHINE USED FOR TESTING

	Amiga 500/7, 2 MB Fast RAM, 1 MB Chip RAM, 5 MB Missing RAM.
	1 internal 880K floppy
	1 external 880K floppy
	Quantum 240 MB external hard drive.
	Sucking Monitor
	AmigaDOS 2.0.
	2 Bottles of Coke

INSTALLATION

	One line must be added manually to the startup-sequence, and one
program must be copied to the C: directory.

REVIEW

	The product is submitted in three different languages:  German,
English and Swabian.  After running one of the versions, an annoying
requester appears every few seconds.  It has four buttons that all do the
same thing:  close the requester.

	After you have acknowledged the requester several times, you really
get annoyed.  It's really not possible to work while running Nerv, as the
Workbench screen pops up every time with the requester on it.

	It seems to multitask nicely -- when you don't respond to one
of its requesters for a while, a second requester pops up.

	If you run the program from the CLI, it may be terminated easily by
pressing the usual control-C key sequence.  If you run it as mentioned in
the manual -- installing it in the startup-sequence -- you can send a break
signal to Nerv to terminate the program.  I was a little disappointed that I
could stop the program from annoying me without being registered.  It also
had no problems with any other program running in the background, which is a
misfeature.

DOCUMENTATION

	German documentation only.  The program is to be used intuitively
and does not need any documentation, though.

LIKES

	It really does what the term "Suckware" promises.  After you have
answered the requester for at least the 7th time, it really gets annoying.

	I really like the Swabian version.

DISLIKES AND SUGGESTIONS

	You can break the program by sending a control-C signal to it.  This
feature should be removed or changed to a less usual key-combination.

	There should be more buttons and fewer different texts in them.

	It is too easy to deinstall the program.  Deinstallation should be
possible only with registered versions.

COMPARISON TO OTHER SIMILAR PRODUCTS

	There are NO other similar products on market.

BUGS

	It works.

VENDOR SUPPORT

	User pays extra for ordering the packet.

WARRANTY

	The program comes with a promise to annoy you as long as you run it.

CONCLUSIONS

	It's one of the most useless products ever, but it is worth using.

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

	This review is Shareware.  If you want to read it more than once, you
have to register it.  The price for it is (standardized) 30.- DEM (German
currency only).  For getting the account number, send me a mail. ;o)

- Stefan Schulz
  [email-masked]

---

   Daniel Barrett, Moderator, comp.sys.amiga.reviews
   Send reviews to:	[email-masked]
   Request information:	[email-masked]
   Moderator mail:	[email-masked]
   Anonymous ftp site:  math.uh.edu, in /pub/Amiga/comp.sys.amiga.reviews