Subject: MINI-REVIEW: Civilization AGA
From: [email-masked] (Mike Traynor)
Date: 21 Oct 1993 00:15:58 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.reviews

This is a mini-review of Civilization AGA.  

	I have an Amiga 1200 with a 50 Mhz 68030 and 50 Mhz 68882 + 1 Meg
Fast RAM, and a large hard drive.  

	Installation on the hard drive is straightforward -- just click on
the Install icon after inserting Disk A, and follow the instructions.  (Minor
inconsistency:  the installation refers to Disks 1-4, but they are labeled
A-D.)  Make sure to turn OFF your computer before attempting to run the game.

	Once the game starts, the familiar Civilization title screens come
up, but with small differences -- better resolution, colors, et. al., and
bits of animation -- the lightning on the early earth hops around, etc.  

	There were previous posts in c.s.a.games discussing how the game was
unplayable because of the slow fade-ins and fade-outs; yes, they are a bit
slow (for example, the scientific advances have a fade in of the symbol of
the advance), but they do not in any way make the game unplayable in my
opinion.

	Otherwise, the game is exactly as in the original Civilization
(though I don't know if the cheats are the same), but with much improved
graphics and animated water lapping onto the coasts.  One "bug" remains --
the game gives you the option of saving on AUX: and PIPE: -- but that is
just a minor matter.

	I played until 2000 BC last night, so there may be things that I
missed, but the game is very familiar other than that.

AUTHOR/COMPANY INFORMATION

	Name:		Microprose 
			180 Lakefront Drive
			Hunt Valley, MD  21030
			USA
	Telephone:	(410) 771-1151

	Name:		Kompart UK Ltd.
			20 Guilford Road
			St Albans, Herts
			AL 1 5JY
	Telephone:	(0727) 868005
	Fax:		(0727) 845202

					-Mike Traynor

(Disclaimer: How could I speak for Fermilab???)

NNN  NN DDDD    Mike Traynor (ND '86)(Rice '94?) |||     Amiga 1200 owner  ///
 N N N   DR D   Fermilab PO Box 500 MS 221 E683  |||     MB1230XA 50/50/1 ///
 N  NN   D RD   Batavia IL, 60510   USA         //|\\    285 Meg IDE  \\\/// 
NN   NN DDDD    (708) 879-6095 [ans. mach.]    /// \\\   14.4Kbps modem\XX/
---

   Daniel Barrett, Moderator, comp.sys.amiga.reviews
   Send reviews to:	[email-masked]
   Request information:	[email-masked]
   Moderator mail:	[email-masked]
   Anonymous ftp site:  math.uh.edu, in /pub/Amiga/comp.sys.amiga.reviews