Subject: REVIEW: Simon the Sorcerer (Talkie) CD32
From: [email-masked] (Alan L.M. Buxey)
Date: 12 Sep 1994 20:49:41 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.reviews

PRODUCT NAME

	Simon the Sorcerer (Talkie) CD32

BRIEF DESCRIPTION

	This is a CD32 silver disc conversion of the AGA floppy based Amiga
game "Simon The Sorcerer."

AUTHOR/COMPANY INFORMATION

	Name:		Adventure Soft
	Address:	PO Box 786
			Sutton Coldfield
			West Midlands
                        B74 4HG
			UK

	Telephone:	021 352 0847

	Distributers:	PDQ        021-625-3377

LIST PRICE

	This copy cost 39.99 UKP from a computer store with a blue and
	yellow sign in Portsmouth, UK. ;)

SPECIAL HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE REQUIREMENTS

	HARDWARE

		A CD32.

		A mouse is recommended.  (The joypad is usable.)

		Audio speakers of some sort, to hear the speech.
		(Otherwise you wont be able to play the game.)

	SOFTWARE

		None.

COPY PROTECTION

	None that is visible to the user.

MACHINE USED FOR TESTING

	CD32 equipped with:
		FMV (Full Motion Video) module.
		Mouse.

INSTALLATION

	Just insert the silver CD into the CD32 and boot up! :)

INTRODUCTION

	For those that haven't played or heard of Simon The Sorcerer
("STS"), here is a quick description.  STS is a graphical adventure in the
same vein as many of the LucaArts productions (e.g., Monkey Island I & II).
The background story is that a boy named Simon is given a dog as a present.
With this dog comes a weird scroll.  Well, while playing with the dog one
day, the scroll is rediscovered and activated.  The Result?  A warp tunnel to
another dimension of course! :) The dog jumps in and Simon follows... this is
shown in the game as an Attract Mode intro sequence.  Game on....

I CAN SEE CLEARLY NOW..?

	The first thing that might hit you, if you have played only the
OCS/ECS version before, is the graphics.  This is the AGA version here, most
definitely. This means that 256 colour palettes have been used unsparingly
to give a very atmospheric feeling to the game. Indeed, some of the scenery
in the woods and caves looks extremely lifelike.  But there is still the
"sweeping" problem... that is, the mouse must almost always be swept over
the whole scene to discover objects - as they are not well defined. There
again, if they were, the objects would be too obvious and the adventure would
be too easy.

SOUNDS LIKE SOMETHING'S COMING

	The sound! The sound! wow! incredible.

	Valhalla may have claimed to be the first ever Amiga speech
adventure, but this game wipes it into the ground - to the other side of the
world!

	Every character in the game speaks. Every single person has a
different accent (no "all scottish a la Liberation" here!!). There is no
repetition of samples. In fact, the main character (Simon) is voiced by the
famous "Chris Barry" (of `Red Dwarf' and `Brittas Empire' fame). The other
voices are done by famous impersonators (well, within British television
entertainment circles anyway).

	The speech means that all text that used to be printed to the screen
is now absent. The only text is for your use:  to select what you want to
say to the other characters. Thus, without sound, the game cannot be played
since you can't hear what is said.

	The music has been revamped too (slightly).  It can be turned off if
desired, and it is not required for playing the game.

HUMOUR

	The game is very enjoyable, not just because it is a long lasting
adventure game (at least a weeks worth of brain usage), but also because of
the constant bombardment of humourous touches. Silly sketches and references
to classic fairy tales constantly abound, not to mention plain and classic
British humour!! :)

	You learn to like the depressed woodman, Swamp thing, barman - the
list is endless.

THE END

	Eventually I will finish the game. So I don't know whether there is
an ending animation (which is unfortunate really - as I would really like to
say whether there is...). But it will take me a while yet.

DOCUMENTATION

	A brief, printed manual is supplied with STS. It details enough that
you can get started, but not too much to give the game away. ;)

	If you are new to graphical adventures, you MAY get stuck, but the
point'n'click interface is so easy that documentation is almost made
redundant.  For example, to use the whistle, you click on "Use", and then
click on the picture of the whistle in your inventory.  (I won't tell you
where to do this, though. ;))

LIKES

	The graphics. They use the palette fully and are beautifully drawn.

	The sound.  Real voices for every character! :)

	Data: 2 hours of speech. Over 3,500 individual samples.

	The game - a great graphical adventure that will waste many hours!!

DISLIKES AND SUGGESTIONS

	The background music. Too repetitive. Luckily, it can be turned off.

	The speed of Simon's sprite. He lurches along as if he's pulling a 2
ton weight behind him.  I thought that this would have been fixed for the
CD32 version. (It doesn't damage the game, though.) Some samples click at the
end; however, this is not noticeable with the music on. ;)

COMPARISON TO OTHER SIMILAR PRODUCTS

	Liberation on the CD32 was a different type of adventure.  It was an
RPG (Role Playing Game), so that doesn't count.  (STS is better though. ;))

	Until "Beneath A Steel Blue Sky" comes out for the CD32, this is the
only graphical adventure so far available.

BUGS

	None found so far.

VENDOR SUPPORT

	I have not contacted the vendor for support yet.  I can see no need
for anyone to do so either. Any hints required for the game can be found in
magazines and on Aminet.

	As for support... Simon The Sorcerer 2 will be coming out in
November!!  New storyline, new plot, new characters!  Expect a preview on
Usenet. ;)

WARRANTY

	28 days warranty from the shop where it was purchased.  The warranty
is applicable only to the holder of the receipt.

CONCLUSIONS

	This is the best ever CD32 game so far!!!! :) :)

	Sorry for my over enthusiasm, but this game breaks the mould of all
other console games. There isn't a single console game like it on any other
platform.  Once again, the CD32 creates a first in the industry!!

	No game will ever be "perfect," so 98% is all that I can award it.
;)

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

	Copyright 1994 Alan Buxey.  All rights reserved.  (But if you want
to quote something from within this review, you can.)

- Alan Buxey
  [email-masked]

---

   Daniel Barrett, Moderator, comp.sys.amiga.reviews
   Send reviews to:	[email-masked]
   Request information:	[email-masked]
   Moderator mail:	[email-masked]
   Anonymous ftp site:  math.uh.edu, in /pub/Amiga/comp.sys.amiga.reviews