Subject: REVIEW: Wings Of Fury
From: Chuck McManis <[email-masked]>
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.reviews

--text follows this line--
"Wings of Fury" (WoF) is a one person arcade type game in the
style of "Choplifter". The motif is that of a WWII Hellcat
fighter/bomber attack on Japanese targets.

	o Requires : 
	    - Amiga 500, 1000, 2000. 
	    - 512K and a Joystick
	    - AmigaDOS 1.3. *DOESN'T* run under 2.04

	o Hard Disk Installable.
	o Word from the manual copy protection.

Description :

This relatively simple game from Broderbund has a straight forward
story line. You are the pilot of a WWII Hellcat fighter/bomber based
aboard an aircraft carrier in the Pacific. Your mission is to capture
enemy islands, sink enemy ships, and defeat enemy aircraft. The tools
available are the Hellcat's .50 caliber machine guns and a choice of
bombs, rockets, or a torpedo. 

To liberate an island, you must destroy all enemy bases and antiaircraft
batteries on the island and you must shoot all of the soldiers there.
To sink an enemy ship you need to hit it with 1 or more torpedos.

Game Play :

The point of view on this game is from the side as it was in ChopLifter.
This makes flying the aircraft somewhat unintuitive and can lead to many
unneccesary crashes early on. Play starts on board an aircraft carrier
where you get to select the armament for your plane (you can return and
rearm with different gear later). You always have your machine guns. You
take off from the carrier and fly toward your first objective (an island
in the early levels, islands and ships in the later ones). When
ascending, the game automatically zooms out so that you can get a better
view of your surroundings.

When you reach the objective you dive and drop your ordinance. Dropping
bombs is easiest, but some fortifications will require rockets. I found
dropping torpedos to be the most difficult. After you release your
ordinance, the enemy will immediately begin shooting at you. When hit
(and you will get hit) your plane will begin to smoke and you will lose
oil pressure. After using up all of your ammunition (and prior to
crashing due to damage) you fly back to the carrier for repairs and to
rearm. As in Choplifter, when you destroy an enemy fort little figures
begin to run across the screen. You then have to strafe them (causing
them to jump up and fall down dead) in order to rid the island of them.
When the occupation forces reach 0 (shown by a counter on the screen)
the island is considered liberated.

If you take too long you can run out of fuel, but more likely a Japanese
zero will come looking for you. Shooting down zeros consists of turning
back and forth to get behind them and shooting your machine guns. It's
never very easy but it becomes doable once you get the hang of it.
These guys will also torpedo your carrier so keep a sharp eye out.

You get three planes to accomplish your mission and after that the game
ends. 

Recomendations :

This is a fun game and you can probably spend a couple of hours with
it during a slow day. If you can find it on the bargain table its
a must see; at full retail of about $32.00 you will probably want
to play it in the store first before purchasing it.