Incomplete Policy in Mathematics Classes at UH

The short version of the Math Department's policy on the grade of "Incomplete" is the following:

Students are responsible for informing the instructor immediately of the reasons for not submitting an assignment on time or not taking an examination. Students should understand that the only way to have an I changed to a passing grade is to fulfill course requirements in accordance with the conditions specified by the instructor. Students must contact the instructor of the course in which they receive an I grade to make arrangements to complete the course requirements. Students must not re-enroll (re-register) for the courses in which their grade is currently recorded as an I. Even when the conditions for fulfilling the course requirements include participation in all or part of the same course in another semester, the student must not re-enroll (re-register) for the course. After the course work is completed, the instructor will submit a change of grade form to change the I grade to the grade earned. Both grades, the original I and the earned grade, will appear on the transcript

The grade of I may not be changed to a grade of W, but may be changed only to another letter grade. As stated under the section "Fulfillment of Grade Requirements for a Degree" in the Academic Handbook, all grades of I shall be computed as grades of F for purposes of calculating a student's cumulative grade point average for graduation.

Should the student not complete the course in the time allotted (a maximum of one year), a grade of F will be assigned and used for purposes of calculating a student's cumulative grade point average for graduation and also for determining eligibility for graduation with honors (i.e., an I grade that becomes an F, even if associated with a course taken during the freshman or sophomore year, will be counted as part of the student's last sixty-six hours)."

For a grade of Incomplete to be assigned in any Mathematics class, the instructor must submit an NSM Incomplete Grade Agreement through the following link:

NSM Incomplete Grade Agreement System

This must include both a contract with the student as well as a deadline for completion of the work equal to one year or less. The UH Undergraduate Catalog also contains more information on the university's Incomplete policies.

Back Arrow Back