Home

MATH 4377/6308:

Advanced Linear Algebra

Fall 2019

Lyryx  Calendar   Exams

"If I had an hour to solve a problem, I'd spend 55 minutes thinking about the problem and 5 minutes thinking about solutions.”
Albert Einstein

All information on the website is subject to change if circumstances require it. I will communicate any changes during the class. Check back for the most up-to-date information.

If you haven’t found here what you were looking for, please contact me using the contact information below, or let me know in person. All your inputs are highly valued and appreciated.

Syllabus

Class syllabus can be found here.

Class Place/Time   image

Tuesday, Thursday 10:00am-11:20am in F 154

Office Hours

Tuesday 11:30am-12:20pm in my office PGH 634, or by appointment
If you plan to come during the above mentioned times, you do not need to email or inform me beforehand.
Office hours are not personal tutoring time, but they can be used to assist you with the course. Come prepared with specific questions or concerns. Here are some helpful tips on preparing for office hours.

Contact
Dr. Vershynina (you should refer to me as either Doctor/Dr. or Professor/Prof.)
Email: anna@math.uh.edu
Please include “MATH 4377" in the subject, so that your email won't be regarded as spam. When writing an email, make sure it adheres to the protocol of formality, which is
standard in academia. Read more about it here, for example.
Normally, I answer relevant emails within one business day. Generally, I do not repeat information that can be found on this website or was communicated in class.

Text

We will be using the book "Linear Algebra with Applications" by Keith Nicholson. The book is openly available online to download (for free).

The chapter we cover each class is indicated in the calendar below. You cannot learn material only in
a classroom, you need to work with it by yourself. This is an upper-level course with a large volume of material. Lectures will go fast and cover a lot of material compared to lower level classes. You are expected to study at least 3-4 hours outside of classroom for every hour of class, in other words, you are expected to study 9-12 hours per week outside of classroom.
Here are the tips on how to read your textbook efficiently.

Lyryx

For this course we will be using online Lyryx system. It gives you free access to the textbook, solutions manual, practice exercises, homework, and tests. We will be using this system for everything, including homework, midterm and final. I suggest you take some time to explore everything that is available to you on their website. To use the website for free you must use desktops in the following computer labs:
Make sure that the computer you are using is connected through ethernet, not wi-fi. If for some reason you don't see a free option to register, try using another computer in a different part of the lab (don't use computer close to the one that failed).

Unrestricted website access is available for a fee (~$40) from any other computer, including other computers in the library or on campus, or your own at home.
To register for the course for free, you must register from the above mentioned authorized computer labs, otherwise you will be prompted to pay a fee for an unrestricted access.

To register for the course follow the links below, and complete steps that were shown in class. Be careful to register for the proper course, as requirements for 6308 are harder then for 4377.

For MATH 4377 follow the link:  http://login.lyryx.com/unprotected-servlets/FDOC.html?c=LILA1_2596

For MATH 6308 follow the link:  http://login.lyryx.com/unprotected-servlets/FDOC.html?c=LILA1_2597

When asked on the form, "Student Number" is your PSID. You are required to register for the course and try accessing homework assignment before August 27

If you require technical assistance while using Lyryx system, please contact (and 'cc me in the communication):
Bruce Bauslaugh
bruce@lyryx.com
403-670-6726 ext 286

Prerequisites
Here are the tips on expectations of higher level math courses.
Course Overview   image 

During the course we aim to cover the following topics (Chapters 1-3, 5-7, 9.1, see calendar for precise chapters):
- Systems of Linear Equation
- Matrix Algebra
- Linear Transformations
- Determinants
- Diagonalization
- Eigenvalues
- Vectors, vector spaces
- Change of basis

Grading 

Your final grade will break down as follows:
There will be no extra credit in this class. Here is why you should not ask for an extra credit if it's not offered.

Your grade will be guaranteed by the following table. The percentage could be slightly adjusted downward at the end of the class.
A
>90%
C+
65-70%
A-   
85-90%
C
60-65%
B+
80-85%
C-
55-60%
B
75-80%
D
50-55%
B-
70-75%

Here are some helpful tips regarding grades.
Homework image

Homework will appear in Lyryx, where you will complete it. You will have two attempts for every problem. After each attempt you will be given a feedback on how you've done. Study it carefully, and go back to the book and end of chapter problems if necessary. The problem will change on the next attempt. You must complete homework before midnight on the day it is listed in the calendar below. The deadline will also be indicated in Lyryx. The number of questions for 6308 on every homework is slightly higher and problems could be different than for 4377. You will have two weeks to complete most of the homework assignments. Do a few problems every week. I discourage you to do all of them at once.

There is a practice problems section on Lyryx system. These problems are not graded, but provide instant feedback on your solutions. I strongly encourage you to try these problems first, before doing your homework. The chapters for these problems correspond to chapters for homework.

Midterm   

There will be one online midterm exam in Lyryx. You will have a week to complete it: October 10-16. The midterm will be timed for one hour. You will have only one attempt for every problem. You must complete it in one sitting.
The number of questions for 6308 on the midterm is slightly higher and problems could be different than for 4377. Feedback will not be given until the deadline passes. After the deadline, go back to the system, and carefully study the feedback provided.

The midterm will cover the following sections: 1.1-1.3; 2.1-2.7; 3.1-3.3.

If you miss exam for a reason described in the section Extraordinary circumstances below, and you are able to provide satisfactory documentations in a timely manner (in particular, before the last day of class), the weight of the midterm will go to the final.

Final 

The final will be given online through Lyryx. You will have 2 days to complete it: December 05-06. The final will be timed for 90 min.
According to the UH Final schedule, you will not have any other finals on Dec 05 during 11:00am-2:00pm.
During the final, you will have only one attempt for every problem.
You must complete it in one sitting. The number of questions for 6308 on the final could be slightly higher and problems could be different than for 4377. The final will cover ALL material from the beginning of the semester.

IMPORTANT   
Do not deactivate your account in Lyryx until you see your final grade posted. If you do, you will have zero marks on all previous assignments, which might result in the fail of the class.

Attendance

Attendance for the class is not mandatory, but strongly advised. If you miss class, for whatever reason, you are responsible for all material covered, any assignments missed, and any announcements made in class. If you have to miss classes for a prolonged period due to a serious illness, you should contact me as soon as possible.

The lectures will be closely following the textbook. You might erroneously think that going to such lectures is useless as you could study the book yourself. While you are required to read the textbook before and after the class, here are the benefits of attending lectures:
Because the lectures will be based on the textbook, if something does remain unclear, or you miss something during the lecture, you will have an easy time finding and working out material from the book at home.

Tardiness

The class will start on time every time. Tardiness is disrespectful and disruptive
to the instructor and to your fellow students, who arrived on time. Do not be late for classes, as you will loose the opportunity to turn in your homework. If you come in late, you are not allowed to distract any students. Coming to class on time is entirely your responsibility. If you have any concerns or you are expecting to be late often for a valid reason, please talk to me about it at the start of the semester, or as soon as the matter preventing you from being tardy arises.
I strongly discourage you to miss any classes.

Photography

Taking occasional photographs of the screen/board in class is allowed, but discouraged. Learning to take proper notes is a part of your learning experience. You are allowed to take up to two photos of the board per class period. Taking photos, please make sure that I am not in the photograph. Do not distribute or share your recordings with anyone, and do not post it anywhere without my written consent. Photographs are for your personal use in study and preparation related to the class only.

Taking videos/audios are not allowed in class.

You must erase all photos after the class has ended. If you wish to keep recordings beyond the end of the course for future review, you must obtain my written permission.

Class Calendar  
The chapters listed in the calendar are tentative, and are subject to change without notice. I will update the chapter we covered after each class.

Tuesday
Thursday
Tuesday
Thursday
August 20
Introduction + 1.1
August 22
1.1+1.2
August 27
1.3+2.1
August 29

September 3
Homework 1 Due

September 5
September 10
2.3.-2.4
September 12
September 17
Homework 2 Due
September 19
September 24
September 26
October 1
Homework 3 Due
October 3
October 8

October 10
Midterm open
October 15
4.2-4.3
Midterm open
October 17
4.4-5.1
October 22
5.1-5.2

October 24
Homework 4 Due
October 29

October 31

November 5
November 7
6.2-6.3
Homework 5 Due
November 12

November 14
7.1-7.2

November 19
7.2-
Homework 6 Due
November 21
7.3-9.1

November 26
9.1-9.2
Homework 7 Due

December 05-06
Final open
im

Extraordinary Circumstances
An excused absence from a test will be granted for the following reasons only:
- Serious prolonged illness, with a doctor's note;
- Prolonged family emergency, with appropriate documentation;
- Active military service, with appropriate approvals
If you happen to find yourself in any of the above circumstances, contact me as soon as possible, and bring the appropriate documentation in a timely manner (in particular, before the last day of classes). If the absence is foreseen, you must contact me before the exam opens. Each individual circumstance will be reviewed and verified, and it will be decided whether documentation presented is sufficient to demonstrate an excused absence.

Tutoring
Here is the schedule for MUSL tutors, which you are strongly encouraged to utilize.

UH CAPS Statement
Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) can help students who are having difficulties managing stress, adjusting to college, or feeling sad and hopeless. You can reach CAPS (www.uh.edu/caps) by calling 713-743-5454 during and after business hours for routine appointments or if you or someone you know is in crisis. No appointment is necessary for the "Let's Talk" program, a drop-in consultation service at convenient locations and hours around campus. http://www.uh.edu/caps/outreach/lets_talk.html

Learning Accommodations
Whenever possible, and in accordance with 504/ADA guidelines, the University of Houston will attempt to provide reasonable academic accommodations to students who request and require them. If you believe that you have a disability requiring an academic adjustments/auxiliary aid, please visit The Center for Students with DisABILITIES (CSD) website at http://www.uh.edu/csd/ for more information. Do not hesitate to contact me to discuss such concerns/needs. If you require any accommodations for tests, you must let me know of this before the test opens, or as soon as possible.

The University of Houston System values diversity and inclusion; we are committed to a climate of mutual respect and full participation. Our goal is to create learning environments that are usable, equitable, inclusive and welcoming. If there are aspects of the instruction or design of this course that result in barriers to your inclusion or accurate assessment or achievement, please notify the instructor as soon as possible. Students are also welcome to contact the Center for Students with DisABILITIES at 713.743.5400 or uhcsd@central.uh.edu to discuss a range of options to removing barriers in the course, including reasonable academic adjustments/auxiliary aids in accordance with the Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 guidelines.